Smith & Wesson M&P 45

Smith & Wesson M&P 45

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson M&P 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a chance to buy a lightly used Smith & Wesson M&P 45 with 4 clips for $500, I keep struggling with the 7lb ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Smith & Wesson M&P 45

Smith & Wesson M&P 45

I have a chance to buy a lightly used Smith & Wesson M&P 45 with 4 clips for $500, I keep struggling with the 7lb trigger these have...they do have a good grip though....I keep thinking its just an oversized sigma, I had one of the early ones when they first came out and it wasn't good at all.

how are these? price wise I dunno either.

They are really good guns for sure, and that price is reasonable. My personal gripe with the m&p 45 is the capacity. Plenty of other polymer guns doing 13+1 in the same size package.

sgb
    The M&P 45 is a shooter, softest shooting polymer framed striker fired .45 I've ever shot. The APEX TACTICAL DCAEK makes the trigger quiet nice.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by genauwiedu View Post
    They are really good guns for sure, and that price is reasonable. My personal gripe with the m&p 45 is the capacity. Plenty of other polymer guns doing 13+1 in the same size package.
    True, but the M&P is a little more svelte in form factor than any of the higher capacity guns that i can think of (FNP45, XDm45, G21). The grip is fairly slim and the slide is rounded. I think of it more as a higher capacity alternative to a Sig P220 or 1911.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vanagonnuts View Post
    I have a chance to buy a lightly used Smith & Wesson M&P 45 with 4 clips for $500, I keep struggling with the 7lb trigger these have...they do have a good grip though....I keep thinking its just an oversized sigma, I had one of the early ones when they first came out and it wasn't good at all.

how are these? price wise I dunno either.
    You keep struggling with the trigger? If you tried it a couple times, but still aren't really into it, then I wouldn't get it.

There's so many options out there, something for everybody. Even if I was convinced to only buy used ATM, I personally only consider firearms that I would pay full price for.

At $500 your not too far from full retail. Tell them you want to be compensated for the trigger modification and subtract that $70 off the price. $430 is more like it. imho
    357and40 likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

NIB with thumb safety $575.00 NIB with ambidextrous thumb safety $585.00
    EXC " " " $425.00 EXC " " " " $435.00
    Plus the cost of each clip.

VIP Member
    seven pounds? I have three M&P's and stock they all feel lighter then my Glocks. Reset is a complaint, but trigger pull weight is usually never an issue with M&P.
    zonker1986 and oneshot like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

It is no Sigma. It does not have a 1911 trigger, but it's not as bad as you are letting on. Does take a bit of getting used to.

Distinguished Member
    I bought an M&P .45 full size (no safety and no mag safety) with 4 magazines for $460. It is a sweet gun. I love it. It feels good in my hand, I can hit a two to three inch grouping from about 15 to 20 yards and was shooting quarter sized stickers off of my target at that range. The trigger pull wasn't noticeable to me but then again I was coming from using a KelTec PF9 as well.

The magazines run about $35 to $40 new (from what I've seen), so the retail on Impact Guns is about $509 but add $70 for the other two magazines, I'd say $500 is fairly reasonable. No FFL fee either if you are buying from a private party. The prices in the local gun shop that I've seen are about $550 new for the ones I've seen.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    It is no Sigma.
    You're right, it is much better than a Sigma. (I'm not saying the Sigma is bad, just not as good as the M&P)
    Last edited by accessbob; March 29th, 2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: add additional text
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Clip? CLIP? We ain't got no steenkin' clips...

But we do have a bunch of magazines.
    accessbob, Katana and Vaquero 45 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

M&P 45 is a great shooter, but I'd see if you can get them to lower the price a bit. Buds has new 45C for around $500 NIB.

Grip on the M&P 45's is as thin as my Glock 19 9mm, and have just a great feel to them. I keep hearing how crappy the triggers are on M&P's....I disagree.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I have the MP45c and the MP40Pro 5". I bought both new, and didn't think much of the triggers on them. But, I think you can greatly improve the feel of the trigger with about 45 min of effort. It's quite an easy trigger to improve. I've not fired the full-size 45, but the 45c is, for me, simply an amazing shooter. I'm not saying there aren't other equally good--I'm saying I am extremely pleased with this gun (that's why I bought the second M&P). I feel they were both well worth what I spent on them, even though they most certainly aren't custom 1911s in the trigger department.

The price you cited is an okay gun shop price, I guess--but definitely not such a bargain as to make me 'settle' for something I wasn't super keen on. In my case, I put 2 or 3 mags through the 45c and bought the gun. Dead nuts accurate, and quite easy to get lighter and smoother on that trigger. All that said, a person loves a particular handgun because of the success he/she enjoys with it, and that's due in part to how it feels. Nobody can tell you how it feels to you, and that's a big missing piece here.

My personal opinion in any case is that whether a trigger is smooth, light, heavy, stacks, feels gritty or does nothing at all until it breaks really doesn't make much if any difference in any close-to-practical scenario I've been in. You should certainly enjoy the gun you buy, I'm just saying that for me the trigger is way down on the list of things that have any impact on my performance. I wouldn't let it be the only, or even the main, factor in your decision.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    M&P 45 is a great shooter, but I'd see if you can get them to lower the price a bit. Buds has new 45C for around $500 NIB.

Grip on the M&P 45's is as thin as my Glock 19 9mm, and have just a great feel to them. I keep hearing how crappy the triggers are on M&P's....I disagree.

Is that the M&P45c? The triggers seem better on newer ones, but don't have the nice reset of the glock triggers. That being said, I really want one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links