Is Taurus Slim 9mm rated for + P Ammo?

This is a discussion on Is Taurus Slim 9mm rated for + P Ammo? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is Taurus Slim 9mm rated for + P Ammo? I can't find any info on their website about it. Can anyone who has one clue ...

Is Taurus Slim 9mm rated for + P Ammo? I can't find any info on their website about it. Can anyone who has one clue me in? Thanks.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    Is Taurus Slim 9mm rated for + P Ammo? I can't find any info on their website about it. Can anyone who has one clue me in? Thanks.
    From the User's Manual:

WARNING for “+P”
    Only fire SAAMI rated Plus P (“+P”) ammunition in Taurus Models designated by
    Taurus for +P use as below.Firing +P ammunition in other Taurus products may
    be dangerous and can result in serious bodily injury or death.
    Model 85 small frame revolver in 38 Special.
    Model 850 small frame revolver in 38 Special.
    Model 851 small frame revolver in 38 Special.
    Model 85 Polymer small frame revolver in 38 Special.
    Model 82 medium frame revolver in 38 Special.
    Model 817 medium frame revolver in 38 Special.
    All firearms chambered in 38 Super Automatic.
    All firearms chambered in 45 Automatic.(ACP)
    All firearms chambered in 9mm Luger.

WARNING
    Even if your Taurus firearm is rated for Plus-P (“+P”) ammunition, such
    ammunition generates pressures significantly in excess of the pressures
    associated with standard ammunition.Such pressures may affect the useful life
    of the firearm or exceed the margin of safety built into many firearms.Unless you
    need +P ammunition, do not use it, particularly for practice.

DANGER for “+P+”
    Never use “Plus -P -Plus” (+P+) rated ammunition in any Taurus firearm.
    The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI) does not
    recognize such ratings and such ammunition can be very dangerous. Firing
    such ammunition can cause catastrophic failure in firearms resulting in serious
    bodily injury or death.

So, per Taurus you're OK with +P, but it's not really recommended. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Jim

Thanks so much for that information. I appreciate it.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Taurus Slim Manual

BTW, here's the link to the Manual:

http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/slim_pistol_manual.pdf

Regards,
    Jim

Yes it is rated for +P ammo. I have used it mine about 500+ times. It gets expensive but the SLIM can take it. Now +P+ ammo is highly not recommended. I hope this helps. God Bless

VIP Member
    +P in 9mm is fine. If, however you see 9mm ammo rated +P+ run, don't walk away from it!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have tested +p ammo and I carry the same in my 709 9mm. Due to the cost of +p, I practice with fmj standard ammo. I wouldn't shoot the high pressure ammo exclusively even if it were less expensive.

Yes it is rated for +P ammo. I have used it mine about 500+ times.

Watch for euro ammo too. I love Sellier & Bellot police 9mm fmj but its rated at 1305fps. Faster than a lot of +P+ out there.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    +P in 9mm is fine. If, however you see 9mm ammo rated +P+ run, don't walk away from it!
    Just note that this does NOT apply to actual service grade weapons. Glock, M&P, Sig, HK can all utilize +P+ ammo just fine.
    Federal 9BPLE (115 grain +P+) and Winchester Ranger 127 grain +P+ are in use with several LE agencies, with no problems. 9BPLE in particular has been used for decades with good results.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Just note that this does NOT apply to actual service grade weapons. Glock, M&P, Sig, HK can all utilize +P+ ammo just fine.
    Federal 9BPLE (115 grain +P+) and Winchester Ranger 127 grain +P+ are in use with several LE agencies, with no problems. 9BPLE in particular has been used for decades with good results.
    It's a judgement call. These weapons have a good track record with +P+, BUT -

From the S&W Manual:
    “Plus-P-Plus (+P+) ammunition must not be used in Smith &
    Wesson firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates
    that it exceeds established industry standards, but the designation
    does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such
    ammunition may vary significantly as to the pressures generated."

From the HK Manual:
    "Use of +P and +P+ ammunition
    accelerates wear and reduces the service
    life on the component parts of any pistol, including the P Series pistols, and is not recommended."

From the SIG Manual:
    "Always use ammunition that complies with the performance standards established by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manuafacturers' Institute, Inc. of the United States (SAAMI)."
    +P+ does not comply.

They're no doubt engaging in CYA here, but I feel better using ammo the gun was designed for. Personally, I don't use +P+. If you feel like you need more oomph than +P, go to a bigger caliber!

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    It's a judgement call. These weapons have a good track record with +P+, BUT -

From the S&W Manual:
    “Plus-P-Plus (+P+) ammunition must not be used in Smith &
    Wesson firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates
    that it exceeds established industry standards, but the designation
    does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such
    ammunition may vary significantly as to the pressures generated."

From the HK Manual:
    "Use of +P and +P+ ammunition
    accelerates wear and reduces the service
    life on the component parts of any pistol, including the P Series pistols, and is not recommended."

From the SIG Manual:
    "Always use ammunition that complies with the performance standards established by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manuafacturers' Institute, Inc. of the United States (SAAMI)."
    +P+ does not comply.

They're no doubt engaging in CYA here, but I feel better using ammo the gun was designed for. Personally, I don't use +P+. If you feel like you need more oomph than +P, go to a bigger caliber!

Regards,
    Jim
    I'm sure the manuals say not to do a lot of things that are done on a daily basis, such as using reloads, etc. Nothing but CYA for the gun companies.

Do you honestly believe that Federal and Winchester purposely load ammunition that will damage firearms? Can you find one single instance in which a good, modern 9mm service pistol was damaged by factory +P+ ammo?

As far as going to a bigger caliber, that's the LAST thing you want to do if you like +P+ ammo. The big attraction to +P and +P+ is the added velocity, which some believe aids in wounding capability. (See: .357 Magnum) Going to a bigger caliber (in a service semiauto) generally slows down the bullet.

If the gun that you plan on using +P+ ammo in is also available in .357 Sig and .40 S&W, I seriously doubt that +P+ 9mm ammo is going to hurt it.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I'm sure the manuals say not to do a lot of things that are done on a daily basis, such as using reloads, etc. Nothing but CYA for the gun companies.
    As I said, "They're no doubt engaging in CYA here...", but I'd stop short of calling it "Nothing but CYA".

Do you honestly believe that Federal and Winchester purposely load ammunition that will damage firearms?
    Of course they do. They know there's always a chance that someone will load their ammo into an ol' piece o' crap gun that will crater when they fire it. Their "out" is the disclaimer that their ammo "should only be used in modern firearms in good condition originally designed for the round", or something similar. What gun someone fires their ammo from is out of their control, so yes, they know their loads will damage some guns.

Can you find one single instance in which a good, modern 9mm service pistol was damaged by factory +P+ ammo?
    A kaboom as a direct result of firing a round or 2? No. But it's a simple fact that running any piece of equipment beyond its design specs will accelerate wear and shorten the life of the machine. And +P+ is beyond the design spec of most pistols.

As far as going to a bigger caliber, that's the LAST thing you want to do if you like +P+ ammo. The big attraction to +P and +P+ is the added velocity, which some believe aids in wounding capability. (See: .357 Magnum) Going to a bigger caliber (in a service semiauto) generally slows down the bullet.
    The big attraction to +P and +P+ is increased effectiveness of the round. In the case of +P or +P+ ammo, the increased effectiveness is due to increased KE as a result of increased velocity. There are other ways of increasing effectiveness, including heavier bullets and larger calibers. People will argue all day about whether the difference between 9mm and .40 or .45 is significant, but I've never heard anyone argue with a straight face that a .40 or a .45 is less effective than a 9mm. If I did, I'd just shake my head & stop arguing.

If the gun that you plan on using +P+ ammo in is also available in .357 Sig and .40 S&W, I seriously doubt that +P+ 9mm ammo is going to hurt it.
    Again, if the gun is "also available in .357 Sig and .40 S&W", then those versions are designed with barrels, chambers, & springs designed for the round. Most 9mm's are not designed for +P+ ammo. It's actually impossible to design a gun for +P+, since there is no uniform design spec for +P+ ammo! If someone uses it and damages his gun, it's his own fault.

Regards,
    Jim

Links