Kimber Pro Carry 2 vs. Ultra Carry 2

This is a discussion on Kimber Pro Carry 2 vs. Ultra Carry 2 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am about to make another 1911 purchase. It is going to be a Kimber and it is going to be either the Pro Carry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kimber Pro Carry 2 vs. Ultra Carry 2

Kimber Pro Carry 2 vs. Ultra Carry 2

I am about to make another 1911 purchase. It is going to be a Kimber and it is going to be either the Pro Carry or the Ultra Carry.

Pro Carry is full size frame (alloy) and 4" slide. Ultra Carry is officer frame and 3" barrel. I really prefer commander length pistols, so I am leaning toward the Pro Carry. Anyone have experience with these two weapons? This is going to be my EDC/Home Defense Gun if that makes a difference. The Pro Carry is at my LGS new for $749 and the Ultra Carry (because it has tritium 3 dots) is $869.

Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Ads

I carry a Pro Carry II every day and love it. I have never had any problems with it that wasn't the ammunitions fault.
    I use KimPro Tac Mags and Wilson combat mags in it.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Thank you for the feedback!

Have you looked at the Kimber Compact? 4" barrel with officer frame. I love mine!

I have a CDP II PRO.....most people suggest that a 1911 with a 4" barrel will function better than a 3" barrel.
    My Kimber required Wolf springs & after market mags to function properly.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by ofdesp View Post
    Have you looked at the Kimber Compact? 4" barrel with officer frame. I love mine!
    Actually no. I mean, I saw it but didn't take much look. I prefer all black, do they make one in all black, don't see it in the catalog? Also, how is the recoil with the smaller grip?

With the Kimber Compact your options are the Stainless or CDP package. To me, the recoil is not bad at all. I've shot full sized 1911s (don't own one, yet) and while there is a difference in the recoil I wouldn't call it uncomfortable in the least bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ofdesp View Post
    With the Kimber Compact your options are the Stainless or CDP package. To me, the recoil is not bad at all. I've shot full sized 1911s (don't own one, yet) and while there is a difference in the recoil I wouldn't call it uncomfortable in the least bit.
    Yea, I really prefer the black (blued) colored weapons and full grip of the Pro Carry. Not to mention it is a little cheaper. Not buying till Thursday, anyone else?

I carry the Ultra Carry II. Use the low recoil 165 grain ammo. The recoil is very manageable with this round as compared to a 230.

The Sig Ultra 1911 is great. I traded my CDP II for my Sig - not disappointed at all!

JR

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I am about to make another 1911 purchase. It is going to be a Kimber and it is going to be either the Pro Carry or the Ultra Carry.

Pro Carry is full size frame (alloy) and 4" slide. Ultra Carry is officer frame and 3" barrel. I really prefer commander length pistols, so I am leaning toward the Pro Carry. Anyone have experience with these two weapons? This is going to be my EDC/Home Defense Gun if that makes a difference. The Pro Carry is at my LGS new for $749 and the Ultra Carry (because it has tritium 3 dots) is $869.

Thanks for your help.
    I carry the Kimber Ultra Covert II with the 3 inch barrel I also have the Pro Carry II. Love'm both but the shorter of the two is more comfortable to me.
    Last edited by Kimberpackn; April 2nd, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

I have a pro carry II and love it to pieces but the grip length makes it a bit harder for me to carry concealed. I would be very interested in the compact stainless II. It would be a 1/2 less on the grip, which would allow me to get my whole hand tight up on it but still be shorter than say a compact glock (i.e. g23).

So if you get the stainless II and don't like it let me know.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    I carry the Kimber Ultra Covert II with the 3 inch barrel I also have the pro carry II. LOve'mm both but the shorter of the two is more comfortable to me.
    How about accuracy between the two? Great posts guys, I really appreciate ALL of them.

smolck,
    I own and carry two different sized 1911's, a 4 1/4" Commander and a 3 1/2" Officer, both w/ steel frames. The Officer's is a little easier to conceal, but the Commander is not hard to conceal, by any means. Both are very reliable and easy to handle. The Commander is a little more accurate, but it also has a little better trigger. I've never shot a 3" 1911 so I don't know if losing an extra 1/2" changes things significantly or not. Would be good if you could handle/shoot both of the tow Kimbers before laying your money down.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    smolck,
    Would be good if you could handle/shoot both of the tow Kimbers before laying your money down.
    Agreed. This isn't my first 1911, but my first Kimber. My last 2 1911 purchases were an American Classic Commander and the Para GI LTC. The LTC is alloy framed much like the Kimbers. I carried both in a Galco king tuck and some leather custom holsters. And even in shorts and a t-shirt (my normal clothing for 70% of the year here in Bama) it is easy to conceal. However, the smaller grip of the Ultra Carry is tempting to me. My goal with this purchase was to "step up" to something a little more high end than my previous 2 "budget" 1911s. It is a defensive/carry pistol though, so in that regard the Ultra Carry seems like a good choice. But as my first post said, I like the longer 4" barrel. Might really consider the compact with the short grip and long barrel.

I know Kimber gets a lot of haters, but I figure so does Para and I have had a 100% reliable gun in my GI LTC. I just hope the Kimber isn't a mighty mistake.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links