S & W 642 with Crimson Trace Laser Grips

This is a discussion on S & W 642 with Crimson Trace Laser Grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just returned from a local gun shop looking at a S & W 642 for concealed carry in a front pocket holster. This will ...

Thread: S & W 642 with Crimson Trace Laser Grips

I just returned from a local gun shop looking at a S & W 642 for concealed carry in a front pocket holster. This will be my first concealed carry gun as I just got my CWP. If I select the S & W, I am also interested in having Crimson Trace Laser Grips factory installed. When I mentioned this to the salesman, he discourged me from considering this. He said that the Laser grips were bigger, and would make the revolver much more difficult to conceal. Unfortunately, he did not have a J frame with Laser Grips for me to try.

I would appreciate feedback from other Forum members who have S & W J frame revolvers with Laser Grips as to whether you agree with what the salesman told me. Do the Laser Grips create concealment problems for front pocket carry? I should also mention that, because I live in Florida, I wear cargo shorts most of the time.

Thanks.

Ron

I don't own that model, but I do have a S+W 4003 tactical .40 with the crimson trace grips. They made the gun a 'little' thicker, but not much.

I LOVE this laser. Very easy to use, and much less chance of getting hung on your belt or holster then the front mounted variety. Dead on accurate at 3-15 yards. Almost as fast as I can pull the trigger : Point, Paint, Shoot.

That sales person is totally MISINFORMED.

We have 2 CTC model 405's on our SW 642's. There is NO additional concealment issue. The model 305 CTC WILL make the grip longer, easier to grip and harder to conceal BUT the models 405 and 205 will not because they are virtually the sames size are the original grip. The 405 has cushie parts to reduce felt recoil.

Thoughts on my use of CTC are:
    They are a fine dry fire training device for practicing trigger control for conventional target shooting. They may reduce your free hand target group size by 40% or so.

My Self Defense CQC (to 30ft) shooting is Point Shoot Quick Kill

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46

The laser is a dry fire tool to maintain technique and confidence in all of the Point Shoot techniques we use. Unsighted 'Elbow Up Elbow Down to Half Hip', retention positions. The handgun is in the perperial vision during 3/4 hip and the fully extended QK position. Multiple targets, quick draw etc. Laser hits are scored by Mrs R who loves to shoot the lasers too.

However I think lasers are over hyped for the vast majority of actual self defense situations. Their use does include the natural tendency to focus on the threat versus the front sight.

Edit-- We continue to practice Front Sight Press and fully aligned site shooting at fast and slow speed because it is fun and may be useful in SD.
    Last edited by riverkeeper; September 1st, 2006 at 04:30 PM.

I own a 642 w/crimson trace laser and my wife owns a 642 without.
    I just compared the two grips and there is no difference to the naked eye,
    actual measurement would show a slight difference if any.
    I am very happy that I purchased this for my 642.
    Hope this helps with your decision.
    Last edited by SteaminPete; September 1st, 2006 at 04:38 PM. Reason: hit reply instead of preview
    Greyhounds make Greyt pets!

I think the salesman was simply bashing what he didn't have in stock, and trying to sell what he had in front of you. That was pure BS.

Wife carries a 642 with CT grips and it conceals just fine. As pointed out above, the size difference, if any, is not noticable.

The bigger issue is whether you're dealing with a reputable and well-informed salesperson in your search for a firearm. I'd be inclined to shop elsewhere after hearing what you were told during your last visit.

I had a M85 with CTC grips on it and really liked the laser. Problem is I can't shoot a wheelie worth a darn.. They didn't seem larger than the stock grips to me. A thought on pocket carry with them though..
    I wouldn't try carrying without a holster. Here's why.
    The scene: You front pocket carry (no holster), problems start happening. You casually place you hand into your pocket, placed on your carry piece "just in case". You don't look like a threat, your not drawing any extra attention from the BG/BGs, UNTIL your laser lights up from touching the "on" button.. Showing red through your jeans or Dockers (where your hand is placed). Possible trouble.
    USE A GOOD HOLSTER!

Be safe..

And waiting for CTCs for my PCR!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have a 637 w/out crimson, however, the cylinder will be the hardest part to conceal and of course the outline in general.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

As you can clearly see from the picture, the CT grips DO in fact add some thickness to the overall grip.... about 1/16 of an inch
    Obviously pushing the overall thickness just beyond practical concealment measurements...

I would consider avoiding the aforementioned helpful salesman in the future... you never know what he'll try to sell you next.

Ron, I forgot to show you a picture of wife's 642 with Crimson Trace all ready for pocket carry in a Mika's pocket holster:

A great pocket holster for $16 and fast delivery. Check out http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    a very nice combo indeed...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Ron, I have CT laser grips on two J frames a 642 & 940. I shot the 940 in a IDPA bug gun class and blew away the 12-14 other shooters by 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 seconds. The grips have a use in self defense world. The red dot is always where the gun is pointed and yes you most likely will be looking at the bad guy and not your sights
    when the ---- hits the fan. My big guns don't have them, but which gun does the majority of CCW's carry most of the time?

Thanks everyone for your very informative responses to my post. You have allayed my concerns, and I will get the 642 with CT laser grips.

Ron

Ron, best wishes with the new revolver!

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    best of luck Ron, just for added measure, I too have a 642 with laser grips and it is an excellent firearm. and after using the laser grips for a while, I wouldn't care IF they were TWICE the thickness, they would still be on my 642....awesome indeed.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Links