Springfield vs. Sig

This is a discussion on Springfield vs. Sig within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently, at a LGS, one of the employees was saying that Springfield, made in Croatia, was not a big seller until they changed the name ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Springfield vs. Sig

Springfield vs. Sig

Recently, at a LGS, one of the employees was saying that Springfield, made in Croatia, was not a big seller until they changed the name from ? to Springfield, and that the Sig was a much better gun anyway. Since said gun is a big seller, I'm curious to know how folks on this forum feel about which they consider the better gun and why. I've often considered one of the smaller Sig 9mm guns, but am also intrigued with the Springfield models. Opinions? Thanks.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

cj
    The HS2000 was a mediocre seller, I would guess largely due to lack of decent advertising and distribution. Springfield grabbed the rights up, renamed it, and put a lot of marketing power and their distribution network behind it. The end effect was a more popular pistol, but at a higher price. I'm hoping someone might recall what the HS2000's sold for compared the the first generation of XDs.

As for comparing to Sigs, in my mind it's a bit apples/oranges, somewhat depending on what Sig model in particular you're interested in. Name some models and I might be able to comment more.

Edit to add: A quick google search on the price history showed a post at the perfect time: "I just called my local gunshop to order the HS2000 and he told me that they have already made the changeover to Springfield. I am a little disappointed that I missed the cutoff. Now instead of $299 it is going to be $489. I guess I missed the boat on that one."

VIP Member
    It really depends on what you talking about. Since you are referencing Croatia, I assume you are talking about the XD line. Now, I don't personally find them all that attractive, there are PLENTY of others who do. The classic Sig 220 series pistols are classics for a good reason. Although, there are reports that some of the quality does seem to be missing from the newer Sig models.

If you are comparing SA 1911's with Sig 1911's, I don't think there is any doubt about it - Springfield all the way.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I doubt there's any way to objectively answer that. I really like the XD's and if I didn't already have the calibers I wanted in other models I would happily buy one. my next purchase will be a full size polymer 45 ACP and it will likely be a XDM.

I also have a Sig P229R and if it could make a sandwich I'd marry it. But I don't carry it because I can get similar firepower, speed and accuracy out of a much lighter package. I've shot polymer Sigs (2022/250) and I really didn't like the triggers compared to the XD, XDM, Glock, M&P. Others really like them though.

I heard some of the early XD's shed their coatings and some people complain about a high bore axis. my limited experience with them (both XD's and XDM's) is very positive though.

I don't have a XD, doesn't fit my hand, but I have a S/A 1911; also have a Sig 225 (German made, new.)
    I like both, but the Sig 225 may be the finest gun I own.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    Recently, at a LGS, one of the employees was saying that Springfield, made in Croatia, was not a big seller until they changed the name from ? to Springfield, and that the Sig was a much better gun anyway. Since said gun is a big seller, I'm curious to know how folks on this forum feel about which they consider the better gun and why. I've often considered one of the smaller Sig 9mm guns, but am also intrigued with the Springfield models. Opinions? Thanks.
    They are just two different types of guns. The XD is a fine reliable firearm, but it's not even in the top three for me in polymers. Don't mistake my last comment like they aren't good, the market is just tough with great choices.

Sigs are just sigs, I am a fan of the P series as they are classic and to me are great firearms. If given a choice between the two, it's Sig.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Personally I've had both and I like the XDm better. It just fit my hand better and I was more accurate with it. But that is just my opinion. Everybody's different.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I prefer Sigs over XDs. I am not a fan of the grip safety on the XD line. However I would rather have a Glock. The M&P has gotten me curious though...
    ironmike86 likes this.

I've owned both. I've had three P220 .45s, one P220 .38 Super and two P229 .40s. I still own an XDm .45. Sigs are prettier, and they work well. However, for an old 1911 shooter, transitioning to Sigs is tricky. The slide stop on a Sig is where a thumb safety should be, and I intensely dislike crunchenticker hammer-droppers, though the DAK trigger avoids that. Bore line is high on both Sigs and XDs, but I seem to experience more muzzle flip with Sigs. For me, the XDm points like a Colt SAA, though Sigs always pointed well, also, just not as well as the XDm. Both Sigs and XDs are VERY reliable, solid guns, so it is mostly a matter of personal preference. I prefer XDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    ...one of the employees was saying that Springfield, made in Croatia, was not a big seller until they changed the name from ? to Springfield, and that the Sig was a much better gun anyway. ...
    Does it really matter when a series of pistols, the XD line, started to get recognition as a top seller in USA? That employee's reasoning doesn't make sense in this case.

It's logical to just analyze both handguns as they are today: both the XD and P series are great guns proven by heavy use reports all over the internet.

If you check out the Sig Pro series, you get good value, better IMHO than the P series for 9mm.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I think the XDs and XDMs are the BEST of the Striker Fired pistols.

They are just different from DA/SA SIGS.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    I prefer Sigs over XDs. I am not a fan of the grip safety on the XD line. However I would rather have a Glock. The M&P has gotten me curious though...
    Me to The grip safety doesn't bother me. i don't like the high line of sight Springfield has. Grip feels good just seems top heavy. The M&P feels so good in my hand. Haven't shot one yet but I'm interested and made in USA is always a plus. I only like the more expensive Sigs not there budget polymer ones. JMO

Have both, shoot both. As usual, C Hawk Glock puts things simply and accurately. XDs are XDs, and SIGs are SIGs. My XDm is a fine gun, although it looks like something out of Star Wars. I replaced the miserable factory sights with a set of Trijicon HDs, and since the sight upgrade it has become a decent shooter that I carry. But I have never shot it as well as I shoot my SIGs. As far as my SIGs...........

You know how the Glock guys will recommend Glock even though you may be asking about a J-frame? That's the way I feel about the SIG p series. I am no expert about handguns. But I have yet to find the handgun that I shoot anywhere near as well as I shoot a SIG. The fit, feel, accuracy, all are superb. Absolute reliability, no failures of any kind thus far with any of them. But they are around 300 bucks more than an XDm. Whether I am carrying the XDm in a Comp Tac or the 229 in a Versa Max, I notice no real weight difference. Both are reliable, and I trust and carry both. But my SIGs shoot better and feel better than my XDm. That's why I will soon add a 220 Carry to the 238, 226, and the 229.
    Toorop and C hawk Glock like this.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    double :(
    Last edited by AKsrule; April 3rd, 2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: double post
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Have both, shoot both. As usual, C Hawk Glock puts things simply and accurately. XDs are XDs, and SIGs are SIGs. My XDm is a fine gun, although it looks like something out of Star Wars. I replaced the miserable factory sights with a set of Trijicon HDs, and since the sight upgrade it has become a decent shooter that I carry. But I have never shot it as well as I shoot my SIGs. As far as my SIGs...........

You know how the Glock guys will recommend Glock even though you may be asking about a J-frame? That's the way I feel about the SIG p series. I am no expert about handguns. But I have yet to find the handgun that I shoot anywhere near as well as I shoot a SIG. The fit, feel, accuracy, all are superb. Absolute reliability, no failures of any kind thus far with any of them. But they are around 300 bucks more than an XDm. Whether I am carrying the XDm in a Comp Tac or the 229 in a Versa Max, I notice no real weight difference. Both are reliable, and I trust and carry both. But my SIGs shoot better and feel better than my XDm. That's why I will soon add a 220 Carry to the 238, 226, and the 229.
    Us Glock guys just can't help ourselves when it comes to recommending a Glock. ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links