Diamondback DB9 Long Term Review

This is a discussion on Diamondback DB9 Long Term Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Speedyfish 10thmtn, Any auto pistol's function is sensitive relative to one's grip. Concealment in uniform can be a problem. A BUG has ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Diamondback DB9 Long Term Review

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyfish View Post
    10thmtn,

Any auto pistol's function is sensitive relative to one's grip.

Concealment in uniform can be a problem. A BUG has to fit under either the uniform shirt or in the issued pants. Some of us can't carry a Glock on the ankle or between the ballistic vest and shirt. I, for one, am not getting in my next foot pursuit with my G27 velcroed to one leg. I'd run in a circle, but at least I'd find my cruiser! The secondary gun is suppose to be unobtrusive and must be comfortable for daily carry.

Randall
    I dunno. My issued uniform pants (by 5.11) have pockets sized for a snubbie revolver or a baby Glock. A PM9 will fit with ease.

I have not found either the baby Glock or the PM9 to be that sensitive to "limp wristing." The revolver, of course, is immune to that issue.

You can do as you wish, of course, but I just do not see the DB9 as a viable BUG for duty use when there are other, less sensitive, options available.

Glad you're happy with yours. Stay safe out there.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    13oz empty plus 7 rounds of 9mm
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What's 13oz empty ??? If you are referring to the DB9, then I need to correct you that it weighs in at 11 ounces empty. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    13oz empty plus 7 rounds of 9mm

Diamondback DB9

Conssidering the DB9 for a ccw. I have looked and reviewed the popuular 380s for ccw as well.
    The DB9 appears to be a better choice for SD. I would use an HS ammo though and a handall jr.
    Did the change of spring really help?

I like you signature Stubborn. I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by netdog264 View Post
    Conssidering the DB9 for a ccw. I have looked and reviewed the popuular 380s for ccw as well.
    The DB9 appears to be a better choice for SD. I would use an HS ammo though and a handall jr.
    Did the change of spring really help?

I like you signature Stubborn. I totally agree.
    Last May, my son gave me a DB9. To-date, the two of us have shot 500 rounds without any issues. It is as accurate as the shooter (me) can be. The recoil is manageable. I still have the original spring. I wish the slide would lock back after the last round but the only downside, for me, I have a hard time racking the slide (tired arthritic fingers & size of the weapon).

Stubborn -- wish the first part of your signature were true
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Just purchased a DB9 yesterday. Went out today and shot 200 rounds of 124 Aguila through it. These are the first rounds through a brand new gun. Out of the 200 I had 3 FTF(Manual states this is break in period). They came around the 120-150 mark. I can not be positive, but they are more than likely due to a weak grip at this point. This little pistol definitely caused some fatigue on my hands after about 75 rounds, but I really wanted to get a full 200 in. Definitely not something I will use at the range all the time for fun. I will put my practice time in with it and that is about it. Nothing awful about the way the gun shoots, but its snappy. Accuracy was good as most of my groups were around 3inches from 7 yards and 3-5 inches from 15 yards when taking time with the longer shots. It was not difficult to keep everything center mass even when quick firing. I also ran 12 rounds of 135gr Critical Duty through it. I know it only recommends up to 125gr, but these were the only Self Defense ammo I had at the time. It fired all 12 easily and accurately. This for me is a pretty good first outing with a new pistol. My Glock 27, 36, and XDM 45SC all have at least one FTF each trip to the range(sometimes more), which I usually blame on my poor shooting form/grip. The only pistol I have that has eaten every type of Ammo through thousands of rounds and never had a FTF or FTE is my Sig 226.
    As for what I will use this gun for. Of coarse if I had a choice I would carry my P226 around all the time every where, but being as big as it is definitely not possible. This gun is will be in my gym bag, or in my pocket for a evening out with the wife to the movies or a trip to the grocery store. I expect that if I get lazy with this gun it will FTF easily, as it is so small the tolerance leaves little room for shooter error. I will practice quite a bit with it the first few months I have it then settle down to just a few rounds per trip to the range just to keep sharp. I will continue to keep my Sig by my bedside, my XDM in my car, but the DB9 will be in my pocket. I will update my opinions more as I have more rounds through the gun. If I get up around 1000 rounds with similar performances I will be satisfied with my purchase, but for initial impressions I am ve happy. My only complaint is it is a Bi*** to break down. It is just like the glock, but I can not seem to get a good grip on it to get things apart easily.
    Daniel Defense V2 AR15
    Sig P226 TACOPS
    Glock 26
    Diamond Back DB9
    M&P Shield

DB9 further thoughts and a little Berreta Nano thoughts.

Spent 2 more range days with the DB9 to get more of a feel of the gun. Plus all the negative comments I have seen around the net I wanted to see if I could rely on this gun. I have now put around 600 rounds through it. As stated before I had 3 FTFs in the first 200 rounds. The next 400 rounds went completely uneventful except when I was trying things that would cause FTF in almost any gun. My conclusion to this point on the reliability of the gun is really user and ammo dependent. If you for one second get relaxed with your grip on this gun you will have FTF or FTE. I really struggled with it with one handed drills, and frequently induced FTFs. I had zero issue with my traditional two handed grip. I also am sure it would be ammo finicky, but 400 mixed rounds of Winchester White box, Aguila, and Hornady Critical defense all fed perfectly two handed. Accuracy was spot on for me for my level of marksmanship, which is pretty average. The major negative still to this point is how uncomfortable the gun is to shoot over 50 rounds. It is just plain snappy and the texture will rip up your palms after awhile. In a self defense situation I'm sure you would not notice. I am also not a big fan of the trigger.

I also got a chance to shoot the nano at one trip to the range. A guy next to me was really struggling with stove piping it every other round. He asked if I would like to shoot it as well to see if I would have the same issue. I put 2 magazines through it with no issue and actually enjoyed shooting it way more than the DB9. Was less rough on my hands and felt much less snappy. The reason I add this little note on the nano is I think these little nines are all very finicky to weak grips. He was frustrated with the Nano and I found it to be awesome and feed every round. I know I only shot 12 rounds, but it was smooth as butter. I think with any of the micro nines we are going to see lots of bad reviews and complaints about FTF problems. I've seen bad comments on almost everyone of them DB9,Kahr, Sig, Nano, and Keltec. I won't say all but I bet 95% are user error. Needless to say, but I'll probably purchase a Nano as well.

Here is about 50 rounds with the DB9 at 10&15 yards. Couple of fliers but not bad.

Here is the gun after 600 rounds and a cleaning.
    Daniel Defense V2 AR15
    Sig P226 TACOPS
    Glock 26
    Diamond Back DB9
    M&P Shield

Good to hear , I too came very colse last year to buying one .

The reason I didnt was some early problems found.

I ended up with a LC9 its been flawless bout 500 threw it yes its biger put I pocket carry it in black hawk.

Still glad to know the DB is doing well

The reason I really went with it is I wanted something I'd carry no matter what. I know there may be better products, but it is small light, and easy to grow in a pocket of anything. I'm probably going to buy another small carry gun, but can't beat this as far as concealment and its working great for me for 600 rounds. I've inspected it closely and every thing looks in good shape.
    Daniel Defense V2 AR15
    Sig P226 TACOPS
    Glock 26
    Diamond Back DB9
    M&P Shield

My son gave me a DB9. We have over 500 rounds with no issues. I have arthritis so I have a hard time racking the slide. I called Diamond Back and they sent me a new spring and guide rod free of charge. The rep I worked with said I would need to shoot 150 rounds to get the spring to loosen. I've not had an opportunity to go to the range but I'm hopeful this will resolve. Overall, I like the DB9 for a small carry gun.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

"If you for one second get relaxed with your grip on this gun you will have FTF or FTE. I really struggled with it with one handed drills, and frequently induced FTFs. I had zero issue with my traditional two handed grip."

The problem is that your defensive situation may well involve a one-handed grip, shooting with your support hand, or a less-than-perfect two handed grip. If the pistol needs such a firm two-handed grip to work properly, then (IMHO) it is not well suited for defensive use. Get something less finicky. After much personal angst with micro 9's - I am now much happier with a LCR revolver.

BTDT - JMHO.

ETA - There are plenty of semi autos out there that will cycle just fine when fired one handed. Don't assume "any gun" would fail in such a manner.

PS - Kudos to you for at least trying it one-handed. I often wonder how many folks who report "no issues" with these (and similar) little pistols actually try that.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    "If you for one second get relaxed with your grip on this gun you will have FTF or FTE. I really struggled with it with one handed drills, and frequently induced FTFs. I had zero issue with my traditional two handed grip."

The problem is that your defensive situation may well involve a one-handed grip, shooting with your support hand, or a less-than-perfect two handed grip. If the pistol needs such a firm two-handed grip to work properly, then (IMHO) it is not well suited for defensive use. Get something less finicky. After much personal angst with micro 9's - I am now much happier with a LCR revolver.

BTDT - JMHO.

ETA - There are plenty of semi autos out there that will cycle just fine when fired one handed. Don't assume "any gun" would fail in such a manner.

PS - Kudos to you for at least trying it one-handed. I often wonder how many folks who report "no issues" with these (and similar) little pistols actually try that.
    I absolutely agree with pretty much every point. The point of this gun for me is an easy carry. Something that I will make sure I have at all times. It is light, compact, and reliable in my hands other than just a few instances. It is easy to throw in some sweat pants or front of a hooded sweat shirt when running out the door without being noticeable. I will continue to carry other pistols when clothing is better suited, but the grab and go capabilities of this gun are great. Believe me I held almost all the popular micros in my hand and they were maybe small enough, but the extra 6-8 Oz I could see preventing me from carrying. Those are all great points though, and all are the reasons I try to get a gun to fail. So far the only gun that has never failed any of my attempts is my P226, but that really doesn't fit in my pocket.
    Daniel Defense V2 AR15
    Sig P226 TACOPS
    Glock 26
    Diamond Back DB9
    M&P Shield

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

BTDT - JMHO.

I've shot mine one handed with no issues. This fellow has as well

Fair enough. I ultimately decided my light weight option would be the Ruger LCR, at 12 oz unloaded. It is larger than a micro 9, but more reliable (in my experience) and immune to issues such as limp wristing. The larger size can be easily accomodated by some tailoring (deepening) of a pants pocket, if required.
    CT Lasers

I'll stay with my SP101 and LCR357. I don't have to worry about proper grip or my Arthritis. After Thousands of rounds through each Gun, they have never failed. I carry them both all day every day. From the time I get dressed to undressed. If I'm not dressed they are within reach.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links