What were they thinking? .380 revolver

This is a discussion on What were they thinking? .380 revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I shall call it " MINI ME". It is a 1/4 scale of my revolver. Yes it is mutated and ill tempered....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: What were they thinking? .380 revolver

VIP Member
    I shall call it " MINI ME". It is a 1/4 scale of my revolver. Yes it is mutated and ill tempered.
    Glock2201 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

My LGS had one used already, and it was instantly gone. As I hope to someday fish in S. America, so I don't discount .380 yet. I might like to see a longer barrel for what I'd want it for, or just carry a Bersa. Not sure what the rifle and shotgun restrictions are, my retirement is 6 years 5 months and 15 days away.

It is a very curious product for the American market. I can't imagine how a .380 cartridge could be expected to have surprising recoil when fired from a revolver so "girl gun" could be a reason for it's promotion here. I've fired .380 cartridges through a K-Frame Smith & Wesson .38 Special revolver to find the recoil to be non-existent but don't ask me how as it's one of those "don't try this at home, kiddies" kind of things. It is possible though impractical.

It's sorta all been done before anyway in another time and place. Colt once produced solid-framed snub .38 S&W revolvers with short frames and cylinders and chambered for the .38 S&W, which was once a quite popular cartridge and dimensionally not much different than a .380 ACP with a rim. Known as the Banker's Special they are quite plucky little revolvers and can land a quick rapid-fire hail of accurately placed 146 grain lead slugs on silhouette targets out to 7 yards or so. If forced to make a choice between the .38 S&W and the .380 ACP for use to stop an assailant I'd choose the ancient .38 S&W in a revolver, especially with lead SWC handloads. The .38 S&W cartridge can use heavier bullets with superior and more varied shapes, and with more punch. The old American factory 200 grain .38 S&W loadings, British .38/200 service cartridges, or handloads using bullets up to 200 grains may be used with ease. The revolver is more controllable in rapid fire than the average weenie DAO .380 automatic and hides about as well. Was a good idea whose time passed when no one recognized its worth.

Here's a photo of a Banker's Special shown beneath a Detective Special.

Note the short cylinder contained within the shorter frame. The Banker's Special is of all-steel construction but noticeably lighter and more compact to conceal than the Detective Special. Much the same concept as this new .380 revolver. Hah, Colt ought to reintroduce the Banker's Special and ammunition companies should come up with some more modern loadings for the .38 S&W.
    Cory1022 and msgt/ret like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member
    Not up on the 380 acp , never owned one. Will it need a moon clip for the ammo? Would the cylinder be the same size as a 38. I'm thinking it would...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

The .38 Special has a nominal bore diameter of .357. The .380 ACP's bore is nominally .355. The diameter difference is so slight that it is possible for a .380 ACP or 9mm component bullet to be handloaded into a .38 Special or .357 Magnum cartridge case, seated and crimped effectively then fired through the revolver. Reasonable accuracy will even be obtained at practical handgun distances but there is no particular merit in doing this.
    Aceoky likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Didn't realize the Taurus was a 5-shot revolver. Colt managed to get 6 rounds in the old Banker's Special which is about the same size.

Mr. McGilvray is right. The .38 S&W round is obtaining a much needed "enhncement" from Buffalo Bore with "high performance" ammunition. The .380 revolver is not a "bad" idea, just different. Taurus was looking for something that could be easily secreted (concealed) yet still provide reliable performance. I fear that this handgun would suffer from a lack of velocity, and would probably be best served by shooting FMJ ammunition to provide adequate penetration.

Scott

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    If someone already had a small 380 semi and wanted to add a small revolver to their rotation this would definitely be a good fit.

If I was invested in the .380 caliber for some strange reason, It would interest me. Heck, I would line up for a .40 s&w revolver.
    Taurahe likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

A .380 shooting little bullets i better than a handful of nothing. It intrigues me more as a curiosity than anything , but it could be interesting to play with. I too can see it being a "girls gun" but in all honesty, If / when I get married or actually have a GF, I would rather she carry a .380 revolver than nothing at all.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It would go well with my 30mm revolver.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It would go well with my 30mm revolver.
    30MM, bet that is a handfull.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

This would be ideal for a .380 auto owner who wanted a revolver that uses the same ammo. Some of us try to keep down the number of different calibers.

Is the .380 small? YES....Concealable? YES....Does it work for a defense?.....Seems so for this 71 year old CCW guy:
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links