if you like weapon mounted lights

This is a discussion on if you like weapon mounted lights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This post is just my opinion about a specific model. I wasn't looking to start a discussion on the relative merits or draw backs of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This post is just my opinion about a specific model. I wasn't looking to start a discussion on the relative merits or draw backs of having a light mounted to a weapon. ( as an LEO I personally am in favor, YMMV)

Surefire has the X200 series that are nice small and bright. Problem is not everyone afford $200.00 for a light.

I just picked up the Streamlight TLR-1. It's a bit larger than a Surefire model . It uses a reflector and a 3w LED. Of the 2 I have handled both have had nice white tints to the LED (sometimes you get blue, sometimes cat urine green). Streamlight seems to be using a decent "bin" on the LED. Run time is rated at 2 1/2hrs on a set of CR123 batteries.

This sucker is bright, easily in a class with any 6v incandesant "tac" light. It pretty much matches my Gladius in ouput. Since it uses a reflector rather than an optic you get a nice central hot spot with HUGE side spill. The level of light is rated at "up to" 80 lumens (LED"s have variable's that determine output). being an LED you have no lamp to fail under recoil or burn out. It is more than adequate for it's primary intended use of being pistol mounted. It would also be excellent mounted on a shotgun.
    There are no problems in life too large to be handled by the use of small arms and high explosives

In god we trust, all others are suspects

$10.00 transfers in Houston, Texas

Assistant Administrator
    I have a rail on my 226 but never used it - but have thought of having something to add at night times perhaps.

This sounds quite interesting - but can you give a ball park price for reference. Could be if affordable I might go for one.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Madecov-

How much is this little toy?
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Lead Moderator
    I know my M-5 light sure is nice for use on my HK. Might have to check out the TL light next.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I find that although I prefer to have a primary white light in my off hand rather than attached to my handgun, it can be useful to carry a secondary so that it can be attached when/if necessary. There are times when a weapon-mounted light can be useful. My suggestion would be to not carry the weapon with the light attached, though.
    However, I do think that the benefits of having your primary white light mounted on a handgun are somewhat over-rated.

Now, on a long gun it's a different story.

Rocky - I like the new Av... somewhere you've been?

Lead Moderator
    I've been around, the pic is from the U.P. trip I took last summer, though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

For those asking for price. I can get the TLR-1 retail locally for 119.00. I would imagine that if you look hard enough you could get a better price.

(btw, I agree that this is one heck of a light)
    Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).

I have recently become interested in the TLR-1 myself to mount on my Operator.

I hope I'm not out of place in putting this here, but here is a link to a dealer on AR15.com selling them for 109 shipped.http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forum...f=142&t=142740

Please note, I am not affiliated with this dealer, and have net yet done business with him, but I will be.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

rocky said:
    the pic is from the U.P. trip I took last summer
    Pictured rocks?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    rocky said:

Pictured rocks?
    Yep

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I was going to say average street price is running around $110.00
    I was thinking of picking up a second one to mount on a shotgun using a coiled cable switch that Streamlight offers.

For a shotgun I don't think an LED is a bad choice, distances are generally reduced but recoil is way up.
    There are no problems in life too large to be handled by the use of small arms and high explosives

In god we trust, all others are suspects

$10.00 transfers in Houston, Texas

VIP Member
    If you use a mounted light, be careful! You will be pointing the barrel at the same place as the light.

I carry a Surefire light next to my spare magazine on weak side. That way my off hand can retrieve it if needed. I can also use the light alone, which happens more than you would think, the light get used a lot!

At night another Surefire is on the bed side table, with a handgun in the partially open drawer. That way it is ready to go with the weapon & I don't have to worry about pointing a loaded gun at one of the dogs or MY WIFE... Once you know where family is then you can use a light technique like 'Harris' or something similar.

I have one weapon with a mounted Surefire, it is a pump shotgun that I use when venturing outside after dark. I know when I go outside after dark any vermin that are there SHOUDN'T be, so at that point I don't care about breaking a firearm rule.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I just ordered one as I like the fact that the LED probably will NEVER burn out where an incandescent lamp surely will. It will replace my MX-3 on my Sig. Thanks for the reminder as I have been intending to replace it. BTW, I paid $104 for it at farmpolicesupply.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

I paid $105 (approx) for my TLR-1 from LA Police Supply. It matches the Gladius in output- they both emit 80 lumens, according to the spec sheets. That Gladius looks like an awesome tool.

While it was a Christmas gift, I learned that the price on my LedWave Z-5 was about $70. It puts out 65 lumens and is pictured here on my Beretta 92G-SD, which helps provide security for the lower level of our house, resting in a one-gun safe with quick access.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links