10mm vs. .40...thoughts? - Page 2

10mm vs. .40...thoughts?

This is a discussion on 10mm vs. .40...thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lotta misinformation here. Here are the facts and some comparisons to think about. First, the 10mm falls in between the 357magnum and 41 magnum, in ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 10mm vs. .40...thoughts?

Lotta misinformation here. Here are the facts and some comparisons to think about.
    First, the 10mm falls in between the 357magnum and 41 magnum, in full power loads with all things being equal. The g29 is about the same size as the 19/23 size Glocks, although it is a little wider.
    Compared to the 45 acp, it is in a class by itself, and the 40s&w is closer to the 45 than the 10mm ballistically.

Now, if you want to talk about exotic and versatility, the 10mm can be transformed into a 9x25 Dillon with a simple barrel change, and throw a 9mm bullet at velocities exceeding 2000 fps. This completely smokes the 357 sig.
    Or, you can turn it into a 40 s&w with a barrel change.

Is the 10mm needed for SD. No, as a matter of fact, it is really overkill. But if you want versatility, nothing can really match the possibilities of the 10mm. From 135 weight bullets at 1600 fps, to 230 weight gas checked hardcast bullets for hunting or woods protection against the smaller bears, it is a force to be reckoned with.

If it is better than x or y depends on what you want. But as far as power, versatility, in a lightweight hi capacity pistol, the 10mm in the Glock platform really can't be beat by anything.
    NY27 and Bad Bob like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

IMO...................10mm, 40cal....Nah........why bother when you can shoot a .45.
    Just bought me a Glock 30SF......light weight and 10+1 rounds of .45......now that's some Serious Business.

Controllabilty (10mm has LOTS of recoil) and long-term reliability (recoil = wear + tear) are the two concerns. 10mm pistols tend to be larger and heavier, not bikini-wear for summer. A good .45 compact (see the new XDs for instance) is good (or even a OM 1911 system), and since you already have a .45ACP you would have one less logisitical problem: ammunition compatability.

Sexy is not always useful in pistols. If you get a 10mm or .40 (or other polymer gun, including the XD) you have a training and manual of arms problem. Your proficiency will suffer during your break-in. And (full disclosure) while I am a devotee of the 1911 (I use a Scorpion), I also have a Kahr MK9. It is compact, can use the full spectrum of 9mm rounds that you'd need at gunfighting range (perhaps not a +P+, but that's a gimmick), and is VERY compact. A PPS or similar might do. The only time I don't keep my Scorpion handy is when clothing cannot be adapted to maintain a low profile. In that case, a 10mm or .40 in any size other than miniscule is still your problem (sic).

Choose wisely grasshopper. Define the problem. Summer is not a problem for a 1911.

Training and manual arms problem? I don't think that's an issue at all. As for the recoil, I can assure you that in the Glock pistol, even full power 10mm loads are easy to shoot.

The simplicity of only having one caliber is a plus though, but not as much fun.
    The Glock compact 45 acp, or as was suggested, a compact 1911 is a good way to go, if that's what you want.
    But anyone, including a child can manage the recoil of the 10mm in the Glock pistol.

It is true. the 1911 is an all season gun. But it depends on your level of commitment, and what you want.
    azchevy likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Get a Colt Delta Elite and be done with it. Made right in your hometown.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InTTruder View Post
    Controllabilty (10mm has LOTS of recoil) and long-term reliability (recoil = wear + tear) are the two concerns. 10mm pistols tend to be larger and heavier, not bikini-wear for summer. A good .45 compact (see the new XDs for instance) is good (or even a OM 1911 system), and since you already have a .45ACP you would have one less logisitical problem: ammunition compatability.

Sexy is not always useful in pistols. If you get a 10mm or .40 (or other polymer gun, including the XD) you have a training and manual of arms problem. Your proficiency will suffer during your break-in. And (full disclosure) while I am a devotee of the 1911 (I use a Scorpion), I also have a Kahr MK9. It is compact, can use the full spectrum of 9mm rounds that you'd need at gunfighting range (perhaps not a +P+, but that's a gimmick), and is VERY compact. A PPS or similar might do. The only time I don't keep my Scorpion handy is when clothing cannot be adapted to maintain a low profile. In that case, a 10mm or .40 in any size other than miniscule is still your problem (sic).

Choose wisely grasshopper. Define the problem. Summer is not a problem for a 1911.
    My non-shooting wife knocked holes in the X the first time she ever fired my 1006 S&W. Try that with a PF9 or equivalent. I would walk over most subcompacts out there to pick up and iwb holster a Glock 29.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

@Mike-kudos to your wife. Since I haven't trained with her, I'll just respect the performance.

Most of those with whom I've trained note the energetic nature of the round. I didn't say it wasn't controllable, just noted it as a comparison to the .45 in a similar chassis (which seemed to be the original post's intent?). Smaller and lighter was the basis for his question. In that case, controllability will be something he needs to come to terms with. Manual of arms: given a choice, I would not rather have two of them. Even my Kahr makes me pause when doing a drill and transitioning from the ACP to the KAHR system and trigger. There is a difference; you will need to train.

et al- ATFQ is good advice!

Be well-

Quote Originally Posted by MisterAvis View Post
    I can't think of a good reason to go with 10mm.
    Let's see..... 10/15/20 rounds of 180 -200 grain weight pushing 12-4000 FPS, with excellent sectional density . Flat shooters out to 100 yards which makes them excellent for handgun hunting.

I can go from 10+1 in a concealable package with or without finger extensions

10.jpg

to 15+1 with or without sleeves

15sleeved.jpg

and 20+1 with or without sleeves to give myself full sized hicap capability and still be concealable.

20 sleeves.jpg

20.jpg

15and20rounds.jpg

IMG_1032 (Large).jpg

20+1 of 180-200 grain JHP pushing the 1180+ fps out of the G29..... Can your .41 magnum do that?

The 10mm is versatile, accurate, powerful, and easy to reload. I understand some people are glock haters and that's fine, but the G29 SF is so versatile. the 10mm is an excellent cartridge and those that don't understand it are usually the ones who put it down.

Look at all that recoil using full power buffalo bore 180gr rounds one handed at that Recoil

Philly Boy likes this.

I personally might suggest an H&K USP Compact even available in .45 ACP a small frame pistol touting a service life of 20,000 rounds. Here is from their website description of it. USP Compacts are smaller and lighter than large frame USPs. The reduction in trigger reach and grip circumference increases concealability and enhances shooting ergonomics. Unlike some subcompact semiautomatic pistols that use a difficult to shoot "two-finger grip" frame, the USP Compact uses a narrow, full-hand grip frame with a choice of interchangeable extended or flush-fitting magazine floorplates. This makes the pistol easy to shoot without sacrificing concealability. 40 S&W Overall Length 6.81 in. Barrel length 3.58 in. Weight 1.74 lb - 45 AUTO Overall Length 7.09 in. Barrel length 3.80 in. Weight 1.76 lb

Heckler & Koch - USA

Am going to give an alternatives that I know of as well.
    The Taurus 24/7 G2 .40 is a small frame 10 +1 also available in a 15 +1 model that each weigh only 27 ozs unloaded and if you purchase one this year you will get a 1yr extension or free year of NRA membership. Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    M&P40 Compact.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    Since your already carrying a .45 1911, why not go with something like the Dan Wesson CCO. Officer frame, Commander slide in .45ACP.

CZ-USA -> DAN WESSON CCO Bobtail
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I would like to know what is the best gun to carry for a person that has small hands but that is a great shot.

the recoil of the 10mm would be a bit too much for me to use as a defensive gun. Follow up shots will definitely be slow for me.. i'd say, stick to 40SW. More bullet choices and cheaper. 40SW is already snappy..

Quote Originally Posted by Chandne View Post
    For defense I use full power loads. For hiking/camping, I also do the same...usually with Bufalo Bore. The 10mm is quite a bit more powerful and dumps a lot more kinetic energy into its target. It's too bad I don't feel very safe with Glock triggers.

Heavy 10 Mm Pistol & Handgun Ammunition
    Not picking on you, so don't take it the wrong way, but why don't you feel safe with Glock triggers? Or you just don't feel safe carrying a Glock all together..? PErsonally, i feel that the "safety" is the carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by brbdnb View Post
    I would like to know what is the best gun to carry for a person that has small hands but that is a great shot.
    Not knowing just how small your hands are is hard to say what would fit you best.

There are many good quality Pocket Carry .380's out there. KelTec, Taurus, Ruger just to name a few.
    Kel Tec CNC
    Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
    And then there are good small frames, with H&K being one.. if your hand is simply not large.. check the P30, the P2000's or the Compacts
    Heckler & Koch - USA

I just bought my wife a Taurus 738 TCP .380 ACP that weighs roughly a pound and the purchase got her a Years free membership in NRA.
    She liked how the H&K USP Compact fits her hand, but she did not want even that weight, when we tried the KelTec PF11 we found the best size and weight for her.. but settled on the Taurus.
    Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links