10mm vs. .40...thoughts? - Page 3

10mm vs. .40...thoughts?

This is a discussion on 10mm vs. .40...thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've found the velocity you get out of a short bbl 10mm 180 gr bullet isn't any better than the 185 +p DPX Cor Bon ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 10mm vs. .40...thoughts?

VIP Member
    I've found the velocity you get out of a short bbl 10mm 180 gr bullet isn't any better than the 185 +p DPX Cor Bon 45 out of a 3" 1911. I prefer the 1911 trigger and all season IWB carry. The 41 with 250gr Federal Cast Core stomps all over the 10mm, and it is a favorite of some Denali park rangers. If I want to pocket a gun, I have to move down to the 16oz PM40, but even with the nice Kahr trigger, some practice is required. If I had to pick one of the three, I'd keep the sub compact 45 for all around use. A low pressure load with the right powder has minimal blast and flash. With high pressure and magnum cases, a short tube negates a lot of potential power, but makes a great show at night.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    I've found the velocity you get out of a short bbl 10mm 180 gr bullet isn't any better than the 185 +p DPX Cor Bon 45 out of a 3" 1911.
    More misinformation

you are talking 850 FPS out of a 3" pushing +p ...... my little g29 has been chronoed BB 180gr Gold dots at an average of 1170FPS out of it...... what have been your chrono results? I would love to hear them.

FYI corbon reports 1075 fps out of a 5" test barrel..... so what magic bullets are you purchasing?

here is a guy getting 1130 Avg out of the 200 grain hardcast from a g29 http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302481

Also, he said he wanted something concealable so how did we get to ".41 magnum stomps on 10mm" conversation? Go carry your monstrosity of a 41 magnum... we'll try to find him a 45/40/10mm compact carry piece

Mass times velocity brothers. Momentum rules!

Any well-performing bullet used in the proper envelope will penetrate reliably and create a sufficiently deadly temporary and permanent wound cavity. The argument among .45/10/.40/.41 aficionados is only younger than the argument about honor between lawyers. So buy what you think you can train with and carry.

As thye used to say on Hiil Street Blues- be careful out there: the world is full of opinions!

I chronoed my g29 shooting 180 weight Noslers at over 1200 fps. I'd like to see a 185 weight short barrel 45 do that.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

WGAD about the chrono on a 180g Nosler? Really. glockman 10 your wedded to your 10mm. Wonderful! I happen to like them, and have owned several in .40. A well used pistol of nearly any caliber will suffice. We all like what we like: let's let this shooter do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by InTTruder View Post
    WGAD about the chrono on a 180g Nosler? Really. glockman 10 your wedded to your 10mm. Wonderful! I happen to like them, and have owned several in .40. A well used pistol of nearly any caliber will suffice. We all like what we like: let's let this shooter do the same thing.
    Who are you? And, what do you know about me? Furthermore, the title of the thread in case you missed it is asking for opinions. I don't try to " sell" anything, but I'll be double damned if I let a bunch of horse hockey be passed off as the truth, without allowing the person asking to hear all the facts.
    multistage likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I think your decimal point is in the wrong place. Just for a quick easy fact check Federal 180 grain Hydro shocks list a 30 FPS difference between these calibers and the same bullet. I know you can probably cherry pick loads and find what you are after.

Unless you use full power 10 MM loads like double tap or buffalo bore there is not much difference in velocity over a 40.
    Try again. Those are watered down loads; I'm not cherry picking. Original spec for the 10mm was 200gr @ 1200 fps. 2xTap has bumped the velocity to 1300 fps. It has also bumped the 40S&W to 200gr @ 1100 fps.

Think about it: why would there be any market at all for 10mm if it only offered a difference in velocity that is probably equivalent to the std variation of another cartridge, the 40 S&W?

VIP Member
    185 DPX is coming out of my 3" 45 at 1050fps, and my 225gr cast runs 990fps. My 41 is a 20oz 5 shot titanium snubbie and very carryable, not a monstrosity as has been assumed by those who do not know me. I'm getting 1010fps from 180gr XTP's out of my PM40. OK I'll concede the 10mm has a little more thump as per the G29 stats given above, that's an extra 150 fps from a slightly lighter and thinner bullet. You'll have to concede that 10mm ammunition is more expensive and not as easily found as 40 and 45. Most factory published velocities are generally from longer barrels, and it's hard to tell what's really going on in the smaller guns; that's why I chrono everything. IMHO a smaller, thinner, easier and less expensive to shoot 40 or 45 in good hands can be as effective as a 10mm. And I have the utmost respect for those who practice with and carry the 10mm. I would expect the same from others when I choose to carry a 41.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    The 10mm is versatile, accurate, powerful, and easy to reload. I understand some people are glock haters and that's fine, but the G29 SF is so versatile. the 10mm is an excellent cartridge and those that don't understand it are usually the ones who put it down.
    I'm really not putting down 10mm and I'm not a glock hater. It's not for me. I don't like the feel of the pistols. (And was anticipating some doof immediately pointing to recoil as to why I particularly did not like shooting 10mm glock) I don't like shooting glock in 9, 40, 45ACP, 45GAP either... there must be a chambering I like, right? I'll find it someday. And being that we have all the choices of caliber in the world... 10mm has not been my choice and will not be my choice. I inherited my .41 mag and I liked it better than my .44 mag. Nothing more to it. But I've heard the comparisons between 10mm and .41mag from shooters many times (my old roommate had a g29) and it's just not true.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Quote Originally Posted by MisterAvis View Post
    ~~ clipped ~~ I'm not a glock hater. It's not for me. I don't like the feel of the pistols. ~~
    I have had to carry a Glock as part of employment and during live fire at the familiarization and qualification range, I found I did not like how it fit my hand and I had to learn to pull the barrel/sights higher on the target than I had been used to, but I was able to adjust and qualify. Another reason I do not like Glocks (and they may have changed this) is that they are overly simplistic. When I can grab the frame below the slide and push the slide with the palm of my hand while lifting at the same time, after moving the slide back about one forth of an inch.. I can lift the slide off of the firearm.. Think how in Lethal Weapon 3(?) the Monk disassembled the firearm single handed.. That was a Glock and yes it can be done. That in itself along with my dislike of how it felt was enough to convince me to never Own a Glock.

Only stating why I will not own one.. I know many who love them.. and to each their own..
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Double Tap has a 250 weight hardcast 45acp out that may be a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by LkWd_Don View Post
    I have had to carry a Glock as part of employment and during live fire at the familiarization and qualification range, I found I did not like how it fit my hand and I had to learn to pull the barrel/sights higher on the target than I had been used to, but I was able to adjust and qualify. Another reason I do not like Glocks (and they may have changed this) is that they are overly simplistic. When I can grab the frame below the slide and push the slide with the palm of my hand while lifting at the same time, after moving the slide back about one forth of an inch.. I can lift the slide off of the firearm.. Think how in Lethal Weapon 3(?) the Monk disassembled the firearm single handed.. That was a Glock and yes it can be done. That in itself along with my dislike of how it felt was enough to convince me to never Own a Glock.

Only stating why I will not own one.. I know many who love them.. and to each their own..
    An example of Jet Li at his best (in Lethal Weapon 4) - YouTube

forward to 29 sec. Doesn't look like a Glock to me.. i see a hammer. looks more like a beretta or something..

This thread has degraded to the point people are putting down glocks based upon what they saw in a Hollywood make believe movie. To include magic factory bullets exceeded factory tested velocities. I concede the thread

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    An example of Jet Li at his best (in Lethal Weapon 4) - YouTube

forward to 29 sec. Doesn't look like a Glock to me.. i see a hammer. looks more like a beretta or something..
    More will be revealed:
    Lethal Weapon 4 - imfdb :. guns in movies :. movie guns :. the internet movie firearms database
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    This thread has degraded to the point people are putting down glocks based upon what they saw in a Hollywood make believe movie. I concede the thread
    But the guy putting down Glocks can't tell the difference between a Glock and a Beretta.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links