10mm vs. .40...thoughts? - Page 5

10mm vs. .40...thoughts?

This is a discussion on 10mm vs. .40...thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good grief Charlie Brown! I thought trying to reason with people who got their info from gun rags was bad! Now it's come down between ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 10mm vs. .40...thoughts?

Good grief Charlie Brown! I thought trying to reason with people who got their info from gun rags was bad!
    Now it's come down between a scene from Martin Riggs and Jet Li ?!!!

I'm with AZChevy on this one. I'll concede, and fall back on my signature.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LkWd_Don View Post
    Ok, and even at your imfdb that you provided, it admits that the weapon had to be configured in advance to do that. The Glock I was carrying needed no special configuration, it could be taken down one handed. Now, a reasonable limit has been presented and now that I have the training rounds to try it.. when I have access to a Glock to see for myself, I will see. In the mean time.. if anyone has the plastic bullets.. to test it safely.. try for yourself.. fully unloaded, empty mag in.. and loaded with plastic training rounds.. I have never tried it with a Mag in place or with it fully locked and loaded. I will see for myself when I can..
    I have the Glocks, the snap caps and the results. I also have a very strong feeling your mileage won't vary on this one.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Good grief Charlie Brown! I thought trying to reason with people who got their info from gun rags was bad!

Guns and Blammo is looking pretty good after this little chat.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

I will admit my eye-sight may not be all that good.. but it's better than that lame ASSumption that I read gun rags.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

VIP Member
    I will admit my eye-sight may not be all that good.. but it's better than that lame ASSumption that I read gun rags.
    I doubt if anyone reading your posts would arrive at that assumption. Any progress on the Glock experiment?
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I doubt if anyone reading your posts would arrive at that assumption. Any progress on the Glock experiment?
    As I told you.. I do not own a Glock.. and with my already knowing I do not like how they fit my hand, I am still not going to go out and buy one especially not just to perform a couple of tests.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

VIP Member
    As I told you.. I do not own a Glock.. and with my already knowing I do not like how they fit my hand, I am still not going to go out and buy one especially not just to perform a couple of tests.
    I don't care whether you buy one or not, but I do hope you learn a bit more about the brand before you make any more ridiculous, easily-disproven assertions about it.
    William T. Sherman

I don't care whether you buy one or not, but I do hope you learn a bit more about the brand before you make any more ridiculous, easily-disproven assertions about it.
    As I have personally been able to disassemble the GLOCK I was issued to carry one handed in the manner I described.. It is not a disproved assertion.
    The only thing shown here so far is that I had not attempted to disassemble it fully loaded and that my eye-sight is poor at best when seeing a what 1/2 second clip in a movie.
    You can claim all that you wish, you will not convince me that what I have done is not possible. To attempt to can be considered as harassment.

VIP Member
    As I have personally been able to disassemble the GLOCK I was issued to carry one handed in the manner I described.. It is not a disproved assertion.
    The only thing shown here so far is that I had not attempted to disassemble it fully loaded and that my eye-sight is poor at best when seeing a what 1/2 second clip in a movie.
    You can claim all that you wish, you will not convince me that what I have done is not possible. To attempt to can be considered as harassment.
    Apology accepted. Carry on.
    William T. Sherman

Apology accepted. Carry on.
    As I did not apologize, I will simply carry on.. Or in my Case Carry Openly whenever I can.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I love my G29SF and highly recomend it. I don't own a .45 .. no need with a 10mm. Personally don't like the .40.. I sold the 2 I had. I can cover all the bases and more with 9mm, 9mm + P, and 9mm + P +. The 10mm covers anything beyond that, with speeds and power, from close to .40 (but with much easier to handle recoil) to close or equal to .41 magnum.

Anyone familiar with Ted Nugent? He sits on the NRA board of directors. He is on NRA news TV/podcast almost every week..the 10mm is his favorite round. He carries a Glock 20. A line of 10mm ammo is comming out soon with his name.

I will eventually get a .45 but because I would love to have a 1911. I have several in my wish list. I have no use for the .40 however.

For no logical reason, that I can pinpoint, I cannot bring myself to own a 45 acp in any platform but the 1911, and Colt in particular. As much as I love Glock, I can't bring myself to carry it in the 45.

The 40 is a good round. Double Tap makes some loads that I cannot duplicate that would make it a good all purpose load, but it's just limited by case capacity, and will not ever be a 10mm. Having said that, I would not feel uncomfortable having a 40 or 45 as protection against smaller black bears if that's the only thing I had. Double Tap, with their ability to blend powders achieving max velocities without over pressure, and their use of wide nose hardcast bullets with gas checks really brings the 40, 45, and 10 to a whole different level.

In retrospect, the mission given the gun/ cartridge combo is really the deciding factor in choice.

The 40, is a good compromise in the areas where there are no grizzly or other great bears to worry about, and I would think that a g23 loaded with any decent HP for social purposes of bipeds, could be very serviceable if one wandered out for a walk in the great outdoors by simply changing to one of the DT loads.

I'd say a good hot and heavy 45 would do fine too.
    In the great north west and Alaska, if the desired platform was a semi auto, the Glock 10mm definitely gets the nod.
    As always, match the caliber to the job.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Way to reel this one in guys :)
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Two words.... Bren Ten
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I prefer my watered down 10mm ......... a G27 ...........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Sponsored Links