10mm vs. .40...thoughts? - Page 7

10mm vs. .40...thoughts?

This is a discussion on 10mm vs. .40...thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Apples to oranges. Put a 6 inch barrel in the Glock and compare. Or better yet, shoot them thru a M610 revolver. You left out ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 10mm vs. .40...thoughts?

Apples to oranges. Put a 6 inch barrel in the Glock and compare. Or better yet, shoot them thru a M610 revolver.
    You left out the results from the 230 weight bullets. Oh wait, the 357 doesn't have 230 weight loadings. Hmmm.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Like I said ; please post data!

The 10mm doesn't come anywhere close to falling between the 357 and 41 mag...as you said.

The 41 mag can easily produce well over 1000ft. lbs of energy.

The 10mm and 357 are pushing about the same, nowhere near the .41

Look it up yourself. I am not trying to prove anything. You are the one that posted the Double Tap load data. The 230 weight loads are there for all to see...listed for the 10mm, and not the 357. Why?
    Because of case capacity and diameter. The 357 cannot compete in the heaviest loadings.
    The 41 mag and the 10mm are almost the same size in diameter.
    Sorry, the 357 loses out when the bigger heavier loads are called for. And, the Glock gives 9 more rounds on tap, in a lighter package with less felt recoil and blast.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

LOL

I posted the DT data because you said the 357 lost ground at 200grns.....not true

I have also shown that the 10mm doesn't out perform the 357 ( at least not enough ) to say the 10mm falls between the 357 and .41, as you also said.

I am just trying to make sure that ignorance doesn't spread.

Since you like numbers, but probably want to ignore this, since it's an end game for you, and proves that the 10mm is into the lower end of 41 mag power, here are the stats for the 10mm with 230 weight Wide nose lead gas checked bullet

From a LESS than 5 inch barrel; 1120 fps/ for 641 fpe, retaining over 500 fpe at 100 yards.

So where's the 357 magnum here?

So where's the 357 magnum here?
    Well considering the sectional density and velocity of DT 200 grn offering in 357 mag it, outperforms the 230grn 10mm load.

In all reality, shot placement trumps all this velocity talk so even though I absolutely love both the 10mm and 38/357 cartridge my advice is to buy something you can carry with a capacity you are comfortable with. If you can shoot 9mm with deadly accuracy and are iffy with say 45 then the 9mm is the more deadly cartridge regardless of size grain or velocity.
    gunthorp likes this.

In all reality, shot placement trumps all this velocity talk
    Good point.

So back to the OP's question;

In a self defense situation the .40 will do just about everything the 10mm will.

He asked for differences not specifics such as in a self defense situation. So to sum it up they both shoot the same sized bullet. One can be loaded to higher velocity due to larger case size. One is more available and can be bought on almost any store shelf, and one has a limited selection of platforms available. I am sure he can figure it out without all the fanboy talk. Dont even know how jet li, 41, and 357 got brought into this.

Dont even know how jet li, 41, and 357 got brought into this.
    LOL!!

I don't know about Jet LI..but glockman 10mm said the 10mm fell between the 357 and 41 mag...which just isn't close to being the truth.

The .40 and 10mm use similiar (identical) bullets, when factoring in bullet performance the .40 is very effective for SD usage.

Considering the limited platforms the 10mm is produced in (small,short barelled handguns) the advantages over the .40 are minimal.
    Especially considering ammo availabilty and cost.

VIP Member
    I would defer to the guys in AK who have thunk on it some. They choose a 10mm Glock or any kind of 41 as a minimum, but prefer a 338 or 12 ga slug gun. Here in MN, the rangers I've talked to say a 357, 40, or 45 would be a minimum against black bears or moose. Dragging along a hand cannon in the woods is one thing, but all day, discrete, personal protection is better served with a thin, compact, lightweight handgun that can be well controlled. IMO the only 10mm that fills that role is the G29. I like it's snappy recoil, but it's a bit on the fat side, and I can't get a full fingered grip. OTOH there are quite a few 357, 40, and 45 platforms with grips that are easy to conceal. I'd be first in line to buy a Colt Defender or Kimber Ultra in 10mm. Better yet, I'd like to see them in a stretched 45 case, a high pressure 45 Super if you will. Call me Mr. Blue. I'm holding my breath.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

LOL!

357 Terms, I would like to hear in your own words how sectional density trumps even larger and heavier bullets?

LOL!..

I would like for you to show me how the 10mm falls between the 357 and 41mag....like you have said many times.

Just prove (by data) that the 10mm even outperforms the 357.

and please exclude opinion.....

I did. It can shoot bigger heavier bullets, such as the 230 weights. Additionally, all the data listed that show the 357 on par with the 10 is using the 6 inch barrel compared to the Glock factory 4.6.

Also, since the 10 is besting the 357 with like weight bullets( providing you use the same barrel lengths), it is entering into the lower end of the 41 mag power zone by virtue of using the heavier bullets in that class.

Also, since the 10 is besting the 357 with like weight bullets( providing you use the same barrel lengths),

Wait!...Wait!..

I have seen almost NO DATA posted by you AT ALL!

I have posted all kinds of data from many different bullet weights from four different calibers!!!!!!!

you have NOTHING but opinion!

BACK IT UP!!! talk and arrogance is cheap.

Show me how the 10mm falls in between the 357 and 41 mag.

I haven't even brought out my 41mag reloading data!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links