10mm vs. .40...thoughts?

This is a discussion on 10mm vs. .40...thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You seem to be taking this personal and getting all excited. I asked a simple explanation from you for your thoughts on why you think ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 10mm vs. .40...thoughts?

You seem to be taking this personal and getting all excited. I asked a simple explanation from you for your thoughts on why you think SD trumps caliber and weight.

Furthermore, half of the data you posted is only in reference to SD of various cartridges, and the other half is bias towards the 357 by the use of a longer barrel.

Then I showed you the 230 weight loadings, and all you could do is dismiss saying the 200 weight 357 load trumped it by virtue of SD.

So, once again, without all the LOL's, and posturing, explain how SD trumps size and weight.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Furthermore, half of the data you posted is only in reference to SD of various cartridges,
    Self defense!!?? OMG

Half the data I have shown is hard cast hunting loads!!

I guess there is no chance at winning an argument with a fanboy double whammy (10mm and Glock)

I stand by all the REAL DATA I have provided.

Omg lol

Caliber wars. Comparing hard cast out of 6" or above barrels to jhp on 4" or less barrels.

Pretty ironic that he is a fanboy for 10mm but your aren't for 357... Obligatory lol.

Somebody shoot this thread. 10mm 41 magnum 40. I don't care. Shoot it.

Pretty ironic that he is a fanboy for 10mm but your aren't for 357... Obligatory lol.
    True.

I just can back up the fanboy with FACT!

Opinions are just like a........

SD= sectional density. I was referring to the Hornady info you posted showing sectional density values.

So, for the 3rd time, in your own words without copying something in print, explain how SD, that is sectional density trumps caliber and weight.

I am a fanboy. I like damn near every cartridge, including the 357. But the bottom line is the 357 will always be nipping at the heels of the 10mm, and the 10mm will always be nipping at the heels of the 41 mag.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

But the bottom line is the 357 will always be nipping at the heels of the 10mm, and the 10mm will always be nipping at the heels of the 41 mag.
    Opinion.

AGAIN!

Please show examples of this theory!

Talk is cheap!

If you look at the ballistics for the WFNGC 200 weight bullet, on the DT website, the 357 magnum with a 4 inch barrel has an MV 1200 fps.

The g29, with a 3.5 inch tube has an MV of 1240. So even with a shorter tube it is hotter. Its there for anyone to read. Furthermore, thats where the 357 stops without diminishing returns. With the 10mm, the weight can be upped to 230.

The water volume of the 10mm case is just greater than the 357, plain and simple. So, if you want facts, thats it.

The 41 magnum loaded with a 210 Nosler is 1450 fps. However, that is with a 6.5 inch barrel. Chop that barrel down to the Glock length, and you would see the difference reduced. So, the 10mm if comparing same barrel lengths, is in the lower range of the 41mag range. Read it for yourself.

If we allow about 36 fps lost for every inch of barrel, and chop the 2 inches off the Ruger Black Hawk used for the load in Double Taps data, that would be a loss of 72 fps. Subtract 72 from the listed 1450 of the 41 mag, and that leaves a velocity of 1378. the difference in the 1378 41 mag and the 1240 10mm (which is from a barrel less than 4 inches) is 138 fps. That would put the 10mm pretty damn close to the 41 mag, in a fair apples to apples comparison.
    However, step up in bullet weight, and the 10mm starts falling off, just like the 357 when case capacity becomes a hinderance.

So, you can talk all the crap you want, but I have once again, using real published data, and with articulation explained my case. Yet you have yet to answer my question. The data you have shown is flawed and biased towards your side by using the longer barrel lengths.
    The simple truth, that anyone who wants to objectively investigate can see that the 10mm is pretty much in between the 357 and 41 mag ballistically.

I mostly carry a gun with either 9mm or 10mm. 10mm for when I am out in the woods. 230 grain from DT and switch out to DT jhp when I get back to the truck. Most other times, 9mm when I will not be in the woods. Regardless of whether one believes the 10mm is slightly greater than, equal or slightly less than 357 mag, it is an autoloader and I have 15+1 on tap with a very quick reload. That trumps the 6 shot with a more timely reload and more perceived recoil.

10mm is dead, long live the 10mm!!!

The water volume of the 10mm case is just greater than the 357, plain and simple. So, if you want facts, thats it.
    Water volume!!??? HA!

Please explain how that translates ballistically....... really I wanna know!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 357 Terms View Post
    Water volume!!??? HA!

Please explain how that translates ballistically....... really I wanna know!!!!!
    At this point, Im not sure that I could tell you anything that you would understand. I have answered every question and articulated my position with unbiased printed data, yet you have not answered my question, which tells me the only thing you really know is what you can regurgate from what you have read somewhere. Sadly, knowing a term, and being able to apply or understand it are two different things. So, since you cannot explain or answer my question, I can only surmise you are ballistically retarded. So, I'll not waste anymore time here. Go back to the drawing board, and when you read something somewhere that someone else has said, that you can explain through a real understanding, get back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 357 Terms View Post
    Water volume!!??? HA!

Perhaps because you can put more propellant in a bigger case?

I've read through this thread, and what I see is glockman10mm being pretty reasonable and attempting to maintain a tolerant approach. I then see 357_Terms who is basically an overly argumentative pain in the backside. The kind of person that argues everything, changes the subject, and just can't be wrong. Ever.

I see valid points being made on both sides of the debate, but my own research agrees with glockman10mm. The 10mm is *somewhere* between 357 magnum and 41 Magnum. I'd say it's probably a bit closer to the 357, but where exactly in between really doesn't seem to be important when these things are being ranked. However, once you add in the semi-auto and capacity part of the equation and it leaves the 357 significantly behind.

I have answered every question and articulated my position with unbiased printed data,

Have I missed something?

I looked through this thread and all I find from you is opinion.

Any published fact must not have been posted......please post again.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikinCT View Post
    I currently carry my full size. 45 and love it...but it's getting warmer where I live and packing something smaller will be in order...so I was wondering what the differences are between a 10mm and a .40.
    Oh, and back to the original question. I'd say the answer is simple.

Concerned about things on two legs? 40.
    Concerned about small things on 4 legs? 40.
    Concerned about big things on 4 legs? 10mm.
    Concerned about really big things on 4 legs? Neither.

Quote Originally Posted by nwbackpacker View Post
    Oh, and back to the original question. I'd say the answer is simple.

Concerned about things on two legs? 40.
    Concerned about small things on 4 legs? 40.
    Concerned about big things on 4 legs? 10mm.
    Concerned about really big things on 4 legs? Neither.
    Id have to say thats about how I feel.

I have a Glock 20 with a 40 S&W conversion barrel. It allows me to have either caliber and the 40 works in the 10mm magazines.

I was slow to go to Glock and waited until Gen3. I found that to know the Glock is to love it.

I know some people also have a desire for features other brands have and that is fine too. Just for me, I own many types of handguns, but when I carry, it is usually a Glock.

The 10mm that you get in most stores is not far off from the 40 S&W. Also consider ammo that you get for possible use in combat. The development and ammo available for combat is not often found in 10mm. Many police services use the 40 S&W and that is where the best ammo for use in combat will be found. Additionally, the ammo used by police will have a performance record you will not find elsewhere.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Links