10mm vs. .40...thoughts?

10mm vs. .40...thoughts?

This is a discussion on 10mm vs. .40...thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry my full size. 45 and love it...but it's getting warmer where I live and packing something smaller will be in order...so I ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 10mm vs. .40...thoughts?

10mm vs. .40...thoughts?

I currently carry my full size. 45 and love it...but it's getting warmer where I live and packing something smaller will be in order...so I was wondering what the differences are between a 10mm and a .40.

Any input would be cool. Thank you all ahead of time.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    Erik in Ct

300 fps.

Seems the Smiths and Colts have history of battering frames in the 10mm, so I would (and plan to) go with Glock. However, the gun will be thicker, so probably not going to accomplish what you want. If you want smaller, 40 is it. I carry a G23 all year.
    candalos likes this.

No 10mm is going to be smaller that some of the compact .45's available.

That G29 would fit the bill for 10mm. .40 is still a great round for SD tho, and if your looking for a smaller package to carry you can't go wrong with G27.

Glock isn't for me. And firing G20 was my worst glock experience. (Not a recoil sensitivity issue..) People insist that 10mm is ballisitically similar to .41 mag. And it is, if by similar you mean 25% less muzzle velocity and 40% less muzzle energy... I can't think of a good reason to go with 10mm. If you'd like something more exotic/high performance than 40 think .357sig. If you're a billionaire find a Jericho 941 in .41AE with little benefit heh.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Thank you all for your input. I'm definitely not a Glock fan. I have shot many of them and I'm just not a fan. I love them...they are well built...off the scale reliable...and I don't mind how they look...but I just don't like how the trigger pull feels. Does Glock have a pistol that has say a single action trigger pull AND some sort of thumb safety? If not...would be sweet lol.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    Erik in Ct

As others have mentioned, the smallest 1911 is going to be similar in size to a .40S&W. The Kahr PM40 is probably one of the smallest and lightest .40S&W out there, but it is DAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikinCT View Post
    Does Glock have a pistol that has say a single action trigger pull AND some sort of thumb safety? If not...would be sweet lol.
    Glock only makes DAO with no manual safeties. The only safety is the one on the trigger, which isn't really a safety at all.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    If you don't like Glocks, and are looking for something smaller than your full-sized 1911, you are probably out of luck in the new 10mm column. Here is the 39 oz empty-weight Delta Elite
    Colt Delta Elite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    and the Tangfolio, which starts at 35 oz, and goes up from there:
    Tanfoglio T95 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    As for the Glock trigger, when and if you get the reset mastered, it has a lot going for it.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    300 fps.
    I think your decimal point is in the wrong place. Just for a quick easy fact check Federal 180 grain Hydro shocks list a 30 FPS difference between these calibers and the same bullet. I know you can probably cherry pick loads and find what you are after.

Unless you use full power 10 MM loads like double tap or buffalo bore there is not much difference in velocity over a 40.

For defense I use full power loads. For hiking/camping, I also do the same...usually with Bufalo Bore. The 10mm is quite a bit more powerful and dumps a lot more kinetic energy into its target. It's too bad I don't feel very safe with Glock triggers.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...duct_list&c=24

Sorry to be condescending, but how does a trigger or lack of a thumb safety make anyone not feel safe? It shouldn't be an issue unless you always have your finger on the trigger, in which case

And the FPS thing, .40 gets up to about 1080, 10mm can run up to 1380.
    Empires are not built by timidity- Tacitus
    Pride in who we are, professional in what we do-OCSO

VIP Member
    It's too bad I don't feel very safe with Glock triggers.

Chandne not trying to be mean but has a Glock trigger done something to you? If you are uncomfortable with a trigger or mechanical device it is a training issue.

The only safety is the one on the trigger, which isn't really a safety at all

Toker the trigger bar is just as much a safety as anything else I would think. The pistol cannot be fired without the bar being depressed fully. The above statement is like saying a 1911 grip safety is not a real safety at all. If I am misunderstanding something please tell me. If I remember right Glock pistols have three safeties two of which are internal.
    NY27 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

10mm

I have had and do have both .45 full size and compact (Detonics) and the same with 10mm
    I like my 10mm from EAA its a compact nice gun shoots straight ,light weight, I like the 10mm over all better then the .45 full and compact. Just my opinion

Some smaller and ligher .40S&W for carry:

Kahr PM40
    Taurus PT740
    Walther PPS 40
    Springfield Armory EMP 40

I hope this helps. God Bless

The skimmer is a trigger Haley Strategic came up with for glocks to replicate a 1911 trigger. It does not magically make the gun single action but it feels better than a normal glock trigger. I don't really have a problem with glock triggers so when my friend spent $160 on the skimmer I thought it was a waste. You may not think so; it may be worth some extra research of your own.

HALEY STRATEGIC SKIMMER GLOCK TRIGGER - YouTube
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links