Paper or Plastic Sir?

Paper or Plastic Sir?

This is a discussion on Paper or Plastic Sir? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Love the 1911's and High Powers and revolvers but I noticed here lately when it comes to what I actually tote around the most, items ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By Philly Boy
  • 1 Post By azchevy
  • 2 Post By Civil_Response

Thread: Paper or Plastic Sir?

Paper or Plastic Sir?

Love the 1911's and High Powers and revolvers but I noticed here lately when it comes to what I actually tote around the most, items I have for ALL THREE categories of carry as a Police Officer ...duty...off duty..back up or pocket carry...they are all three horrid POLYGUNS!! The M&P for duty, the G27 for off-duty and inside the pant or truck carry, and my little Kahr CM9 for pocket..In all fairness I still tote my Jframe and SP101 around inside the pant fashion as well but mostly plastic...just wondered who else noticed they did the same thing even those john mosses browning fans out there..
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

I notice I still carry steel-framed guns. It's easily accomplished by not acquiring plastic guns.

It's all just personal preference.
    OD*, mr surveyor and texasleaguer like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I love the 1911 pistol. I like shooting the .45 acp round. There are many 1911's out there that run flawlessly maybe even without a "fluff and buff". I have a 1911 in .45 acp, when it functions I love it, you can imagine how I feel when it doesn't function. At that stage in my gun development I was entering the concealed carry world and after competing with the 1911 and suffering through the malfunctions I made a decision to get something reliable. After a lot of research, mostly on this forum and a local forum, I discovered the awesome reputation of the GLOCK pistol. When I was able to I purchased a 3rd gen GLOCK 19 and after running a few hundred rounds through it I made it my EDC. It has been flawless since it was fired at the factory. Reliable, rugged, simple, high capacity, affordable it's hard to beat. Springfield, Smith & Wesson, and Ruger are all making polymer pistols now and they are all pretty good from what I hear. I'll always have a soft spot for 1911's but when it absolutely has to work 150% of the time, make mine GLOCK.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

EdC
    I prefer an all steel gun myself, and so I've gone to a CZ75B. Feels great in my hand (feels better than my G19), super reliable, not a single hiccup or failure out of the box, and I just seem to be able to shoot an all steel gun better than anything else.

Paper or plastic ? At the store, my smart-ass answer is always, "Yes!" After the bagger looks up, and I stare right back, we usually have a good laugh! As for guns, we go with what feels best, looks good, etc...: paper or plastic!
    wmhawth likes this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I have many plastic and steel guns.... I carry a wheelgun
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Paper or Plastic Sir?
    Whichever tickles my fancy at the time.

with bmc on this one. Don't and won't own/carry anything plastic. I leave the tupperware for the kitchen.

The only thing that stops me from getting, and carrying, a plastic gun is that I have not been able to find one with the characteristics I want.

1. A manual thumb safety that is frame mounted and is up for activated, down for deactivated and does not de-cock the gun when going even further down.
    2. A consistent crisp trigger pull, not one that feels “springy”.
    3. Comfortable in my hand.
    4. Points naturally for me.

I don’t think I am asking for that much, but it seems that what I am asking for is hard to find. The hardest seems to be the thumb safety. I want it to be frame mounted and not slide mounted. I want it to be deactivate by pressing it down (I ride my thumb on top of the safety). I do not want it to de-cock the pistol when pressing further down, after deactivating the safety (I do not want to be unintentionally de-cocking it when I do not want to).

As a result, I stick to the Hi-Power in 9mm and the 1911 in .45 ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    The only thing that stops me from getting, and carrying, a plastic gun is that I have not been able to find one with the characteristics I want.

1. A manual thumb safety that is frame mounted and is up for activated, down for deactivated and does not de-cock the gun when going even further down.
    I don’t think I am asking for that much, but it seems that what I am asking for is hard to find. The hardest seems to be the thumb safety. I want it to be frame mounted and not slide mounted. I want it to be deactivate by pressing it down (I ride my thumb on top of the safety). I do not want it to de-cock the pistol when pressing further down, after deactivating the safety (I do not want to be unintentionally de-cocking it when I do not want to).

As a result, I stick to the Hi-Power in 9mm and the 1911 in .45 ACP.
    Like this??

CZ-USA -> CZ P07 DUTY
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I really don't care what it's made of so long as it's reliable, shoots well and meets my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post

Sounds an awful lot like an M&P with an APEX kit.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Jwhite75,
    Yes. If I understand their product description, it might just fit the bill. I will need to see if anybody has one locally that I can look at.

Thunder 71,
    Yes, this one will also have to go on my list of possibilities. I have heard good things about the M&P, but was unaware that they had an option for a manual safety

Thanks guys!

My thinking process is much the same as BlackJack's. I like single action pistols with a manual thumb safety.

I have several Government Model pistols, including a (lightweight) Commander. However, should I get into a shooting event - or even a draw and hold event - the pistol will probably spend some time in the evidence locker. I don't think the officers in any particular department (other than possibly Chicago or NYC) would intentionally damage a pistol in evidence, and my carry under H.R. 218 will more than likely get it returned to me, but it will be neglected in the meanwhile.

The thought of leaving my Commander in such conditions is appalling.

My solution is a Heckler and Koch USP40(c). BlackJack might object as the thumb safety can de-cock the pistol if one gets too rambunctious, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. To me, it's a training issue.

The drawback is the cost. They're somewhere in the neighborhood of $800 to $900, with tax and such. Accurate, dependable and not as ugly as some.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Links