Springfield Armory EMP

Springfield Armory EMP

This is a discussion on Springfield Armory EMP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in the market for a new carry pistol and one that I am considering is the Springfield Armory EPM in 9mm. I have looked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Springfield Armory EMP

Springfield Armory EMP

I'm in the market for a new carry pistol and one that I am considering is the Springfield Armory EPM in 9mm. I have looked at one at the LGS (it fits and feels good in my hand) but I have not had an opportunity to shoot one. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has some experience with this pistol (or with Springfield Armory 1911s in general).

Thanks!
    Cheers!

Joe
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joepilot View Post
    I'm in the market for a new carry pistol and one that I am considering is the Springfield Armory EPM in 9mm. I have looked at one at the LGS (it fits and feels good in my hand) but I have not had an opportunity to shoot one. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has some experience with this pistol (or with Springfield Armory 1911s in general).

Thanks!
    I have one chambered in a .40 and love this gun, The trigger is perfect for me.
    Last edited by sid1; April 5th, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
    joepilot likes this.

I have an EMP 9mm I bought last year for carry but actually ended up not doing so mostly due to not being comfortable carrying cocked and locked. I did also have some initial feeding issues with hollow point SD ammo. FMJ feeds perfectly regardless of bullet weight or brand but HP is picky in mine. I sent it back to Springfield who tuned it and polished the feed ramp. HPs feed much more reliably now but I still see 1-2 FTF issues every 3-4 magazines. Your experience could be very different, I've seen many posters online who have had no issues like mine. Aside from my personal reservations over carrying it I absolutely love the pistol and consider it my favorite 9mm. Great trigger, feels fantastic in the hand, it's very accurate and has nice sights. Good luck!
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

I had a Springfield 1911A1 Loaded, I thought the quality was not up to par, I think they are over priced, I talked to a relative that has a FFL and he said plenty of SA's at the distributors while all other guns are hard to get. I would not spend my money on another SA 1911 just my experience and opinion.

Great gun, all around, as far as I'm concerned. I just wish it would carry a couple of more rounds.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

sgb
    I carry A Springfield Pro, I'd luv to have an EMP or two.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I had a Springfield EMP 9mm and liked it so much that I bought a EMP 40. Eventually, I ended up selling the 9mm because I always carried the 40.
    The 9mm is an aluminum frame and not rated for +p.
    The 40 is a steel frame.
    The extra few ounces of weight just didn't matter in a holster but did offset the more powerful round when shooting.
    Still have the EMP 40 and love it. My EMP 40 is the most awesome 3'' 1911. Over 250 rounds fired + chrono results.

FYI: there is a person on the 1911 forum log man that modifies the EMP magazine to be flush fitting; it reduces capacity by one round, but aids concealment.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I've never heard 'bad' and 'Springfield' used in the same sentence.

I would try to shoot one prior to purchase, if possible.
    Crowbait likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for all the input everyone. Much apprecaiated!!
    Cheers!

Joe
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

Great firearm! After much research my EDC choice came down to the EMP and the Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II. I ultimately decided on the .45acp Kimber. You won't be disappointed with the EMP! Good luck!
    Best regards,
    Steve
    Ruger P345 Ruger LCP

"Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains." - Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    No experience with the EMP, but had a Loaded Champion. SA CS is second to none.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Here is my EMP .40 and it's all steel brother....

Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

jyo
    I don't own any EMPs at this time but have shot two in 9mm (one quite a bit)---really neat smaller pistol---I could own one, maybe I will. One of the owners had to return his to SA but it runs 100% now. An earlier poster mentioned a lack of quality of a SA "Loaded" pistol---I do own a SA Champion 4" stainless Loaded model and have no issues---the gun runs 100% with any ammo I have tried---shoots right to point of aim---good trigger---seems well-made and fitted---a fine 1911 type.

mkh
    I had the all steel .40 version and it was a great little gun. No failures of any kind. But you should check out the Springfield section to the 1911 forum for more info on some of the problemsmEMP owners have had.

I got rid of mine to get a Sig 1911 Ultra Compact. I figured if I was carrying a 1911 in that size that it might as well be a .45.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I've never heard 'bad' and 'Springfield' used in the same sentence.

I would try to shoot one prior to purchase, if possible.
    I consider my EDC Springfield XD to be pretty badass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links