Should I buy this Colt 1911?

This is a discussion on Should I buy this Colt 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think that when the BoMars were set on top of the slide like that even though not actually recessed into the slide with the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Should I buy this Colt 1911?

Administrator
    I think that when the BoMars were set on top of the slide like that even though not actually recessed into the slide with the typical "BoMar Cut" - the rear dovetail still had to be enlarged with a dovetail file.
    And then the extra high front sight was usually hard Silver Soldered on.
    I am on Mrs QKs Rinky Dinky little ACER LapTop right now so it's difficult to tell. The rear dovetail appears to be enlongated over what would be a factory standard dovetail...but, I also sure could be wrong.
    A nice larger, crisper pic sure would help or...a different monitor for me.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    QK, if you enlarge the picture fully, it doesn't look like the slide has been modified to me, but I could be wrong too.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    An afterthought.

Really even a Colt frame with a botched frame feed ramp is not the major problem that it used to be.

Now you can simply have the frame milled out in a fairly basic milling operation and there is a replacement steel frame feed ramp that can be installed into the milled cut. EGW makes it (I think)

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    Have the opportunity to pick up this Colt Mk IV Series 80 1911 for $300... What do you guys think? I don't know much about 1911s. The gun is in good condition and shows only minor wear and tear. Thoughts? Recommendations?

OpJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is worth MORE than $300 just as a parts gun.

If it shoots ok you will be stealing that gun.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    No! Do not touch it! In fact, get the guy's name and phone number, send it to me and i'll contact him and see that it is not available to tempt you any longer!
    You, sir, are a very funny man! However, request denied. I will not have the chance to fire the gun before purchasing it, but I can (and will) function check it. Even if its not in the best shape, it seems these guns usually fetch around $600, some upwards of $800 depending on exact model/extras, etc. I've always wanted a 1911 (I love US military history and guns), and this may be the opportunity to pick up one for a steal of a price. The current owner says he hasn't fired it except once right after he bought it... 10 years ago. He bought it used from an individual seller. Not sure if that changes anything for you guys on your recommendations or not, but I will post some more pics and things after I get to handle it, hopefully later today.

OpJ

Administrator
    Typically if you are able to rapidly hand cycle cartridges through it then it will function fine during regular fire unless there is a problem with the magazine.
    Be careful doing that if you are not using DUMMY rounds
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Yeah... I don't have any dummy .45 rounds. Have plenty of others, but as I have never owned a .45, no dummies.

OpJ

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I think that when the BoMars were set on top of the slide like that even though not actually recessed into the slide with the typical "BoMar Cut" - the rear dovetail still had to be enlarged with a dovetail file.
    And then the extra high front sight was usually hard Silver Soldered on.
    I am on Mrs QKs Rinky Dinky little ACER LapTop right now so it's difficult to tell. The rear dovetail appears to be enlongated over what would be a factory standard dovetail...but, I also sure could be wrong.
    A nice larger, crisper pic sure would help or...a different monitor for me.
    You are correct sir, I had forgotten BoMar and Micro both used larger dovetails.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

What???? You haven't purchased it yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links