Should I buy this Colt 1911?

This is a discussion on Should I buy this Colt 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have the opportunity to pick up this Colt Mk IV Series 80 1911 for $300... What do you guys think? I don't know much about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Should I buy this Colt 1911?

Should I buy this Colt 1911?

Have the opportunity to pick up this Colt Mk IV Series 80 1911 for $300... What do you guys think? I don't know much about 1911s. The gun is in good condition and shows only minor wear and tear. Thoughts? Recommendations?

OpJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Well, it has had a BoMar Rear and an aftermarket front sight added to it. That certainly does not mean that it's not worth $300.00 - Will you have a chance to shoot it before you buy it?
    Much would depend on if it was radically Home Gunsmithed or not.

If the frame is in factory original condition w/ regard to the frame feed ramp - it would be worth $300 just for the frame.

What you'll want to avoid is buying a sellers FTFunction related 1911 problems. If you can run a function check on it (found in our forum How To & Reference area) and it will hand cycle cartridges then I would buy it in a heartbeat for $300.

Usually if a 1911 has failure to feed problems & the frame feed ramp is intact - then the most common "fix" would be a properly tuned and tensioned extractor which is a very minor issue.
    Sadly...there is no way that anybody on this forum - just looking at a PIC of the exterior could tell if that particular 1911 was goofed around with so it's really tough to just say "BUY IT!" - But, $300.00 is a really really good price for a working COLT in good used condition that has just had aftermarket sights added to it.
    You should be aware of the fact though that you'll not be able to go back to traditional 1911 sights because the installation of a BoMar modifies the rear dovetail.

Too bad I'm so far away from Texas because I could tell you for certain to "BUY IT - Snap It Up!" after checking it out for a few minutes.

Can you have a good local gunsmith look it over before you purchase it?
    OD* and oneshot like this.

It looks like a Commander with aftermarket sights, can't tell much from that pic, though. If it's a Colt it's a steal at $300. If you don't want it, send me the info and I'll buy it.

ETA: Even if it's a Colt with issues, it's a deal at $300, you'll never lose money on it.
    Never forget. Never forgive.

Administrator
    ETA: Even if it's a Colt with issues, it's a deal at $300, you'll never lose money on it.

I would totally agree with that - but, it all depends on if he is willing to deal with any issues or not.

Me personally. I would buy it - in fact - I wouldn't be able to get my wallet out of my pocket fast enough to buy that for only $300.00 cash on the barrel head.
    bmcgilvray and Old School like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    hell yea u should.....300 bucks is a steal

Agree with QKShooter...

I'd agree with QKShooter's comments above. The gun looks like a Commander model, judging by the hammer and shorter slide, with aftermarket sights. Normally a gun like that in good condition would go for at least double the $300 price you mentioned. So it is almost too good to be true, which makes one suspicious.

The risk is that some amateur gunsmith may have messed with the internals of the gun, leading to function problems. The safe course is to test the gun and have somebody knowledgeable do a field strip and inspection.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Follow the link below. If it passes the checks, jump on it.

1911 Colt & Clone FUNCTION CHECK
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

OD*
    QK, if you enlarge the picture fully, it doesn't look like the slide has been modified to me, but I could be wrong too.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

If it's a Colt...............buy it for 3C.......deffinately worth it.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The risk is that some amateur gunsmith may have messed with the internals of the gun, leading to function problems. The safe course is to test the gun and have somebody knowledgeable do a field strip and inspection.
    Kitchen table gunsmiths probably ruin more 1911's than any other type of pistol.
    bmcgilvray and msgt/ret like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Only the "amateur gunsmith" looms large as the 600 lb. gorilla in the corner. Much that they monkey with may be rectified though and $300 is a real deal.

Did you ask about the issues the pistol may have? The seller might come clean. Or he might hem and haw and reveal something despite his disingenuousness.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

No! Do not touch it! In fact, get the guy's name and phone number, send it to me and i'll contact him and see that it is not available to tempt you any longer!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Kitchen table gunsmiths probably ruin more 1911's than any other type of pistol.
    I believe the invention of the dremel was somewhere in the mix
    FWIW My NIB Colt CC XSE Stainless Steel model was almost $1000,with Big Dot sights added came to a little over $1100.00
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    QK is offering very sound advice, but to be sure, do as Hiram25 suggests.

Good luck, looks at the outset to be a very good buy.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I wouldn't even second guess it. Its a Colt. I've never seen Colts go for under $700. Especially the 1911s.

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links