What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly? - Page 2

What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly?

This is a discussion on What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll second the 12 gauge slug comments. If I'm gonna come face to face with a bear, I want to put a big hole in ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly?

I'll second the 12 gauge slug comments. If I'm gonna come face to face with a bear, I want to put a big hole in it.

Anything that will penetrate to the vitals on a 4-legged bear will likely blow right through an upright, 2-legged human.

Pick the right tool for the job.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Typical defensive handgun calibers would be a last resort if you had nothing else, you may as well try to shoot them with it. If you are planning on being in GB counrty, I would go with 44 mag at least if you only want a handgun. The smaller stuff may kill him eventually, or you may get a good headshot that doesn't bounce off of his skull, other than that it will probably just piss him off until he kills you.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    My caliber of choice would be a .338 Win Mag. Of course as far as I know they don't chamber a handgun for it YET.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    To the OP: I also do not understnad quite what you are asking. If you are going into Griz country, forget the stupid pistol (unless you save the last round for yourself after the griz has chewed you up) we lived in Alaska for 9 years--if you are concerned with griz, get a BIG rifle--(forget the shotgun--big slug, but not enough powder behind it)--something like a Marlin .45-70 or a carbine length .375 H&H, or .338 winmag. Down near Soldotna (on the Kenai) there was a guy moose hunting with an '06, w/ 44 mag in shoulder hoslter. A griz charged him, he put one COM shot from the '06 into the Griz (he heard it hit), the bear ran up to him, grabbed him by the face in its jaws and picked him up--the guy had the presence of mind to pull his .44 mag and put all six rounds into the bears chest from CONTACT range while hagning by his face from the Griz's jaws. The bear dropped him and ran off, but was never found by fish & game; plenty of other similar stories......
    Secret Spuk and blitzburgh like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

The feat will require measuring several factors...
    The firearm, the caliber, and your ability to 'shoot and poop' at the same time.
    I lived in AK for seven years, and a Grizzly is nothing like a black bear.
    You go out to hunt them...they might end up hunting you.

Think about a 1000 pounds of mean and angry meat surprising you from some covering 30 yards away and running as fast as a quarter horse.

I can guarantee you it won't be like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVS1UfCfxlU
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; April 7th, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Best defense against a grizzly is bear spray. It's certainly a better choice than any handgun caliber you might carry.

Defense against humans is an entirely different problem. Confuse the two and you'll have a sub-optimal solution for either one.
    Philly Boy and marcclarke like this.

I think a couple of things need to be considered. First, the bear, Alaskan brown or Grizzly is a fearsome animal. I've mentioned before on this forum the story of the rangers that went to recover the body ofTimothy Treadwell. Here is one of the most interesting portions of the account

Ranger Ellis was standing with ranger Gilliland and Willy Fulton to his left. Ranger Dalrymple was slightly ahead of Gilliland when Gilliland suddenly yells, Bear! while pointing to the right. Ranger Ellis states that he turned and "saw an adult bear moving toward the group about 20 feet away". All four begin yelling in hopes that the bear would see them and move away. Ranger Ellis then states that he "perceived that the bear was well aware of their presence and was stalking them". Ranger Ellis, armed with a 40 cal. handgun begins to fire at about the same time rangers Gilliland and Dalrymple, who were each armed with 12 gauge shotguns loaded with slugs also begin to shoot at the bear.

Ranger Ellis fires 11 times while rangers Gilliland and Dalrymple each fire 5 times, dropping the bear 12 feet away. "That was cutting it thin" stated Ellis. After about 10 seconds the bear dies and Willy Fulton then reportedly says "I want to look that bear in the eyes" and states that he is sure that this was the bear that chased him back to his plane earlier.
    The whole story can be found at Timothy Treadwell Incident--A Full Report and Examination. The other interesting thing is a study done in the Journal of Wildlife Management. Info about it can be found at BYU study: Using a gun in bear encounters doesn't make you safer.
    Personally, I always carry my 10mm Glock 20 with me. After reading about the Wildlife Management study I'm also going to bring bear spray( in addition to the G20) AND focus on situational awareness. One of the really interesting parts of the study is that most bear attacks start from the bear being, get this, 14 feet away from the person being attacked. I've read several comments by people telling how hikers and backpackers usually focus at the ground instead of on their environment, resulting in the 14' range. I believe that just like in self defense situations situational awareness is an important part of surviving an encounter in the woods with a bear.....if you think about the "Tueller rule" and it's 30 foot guideline, then think of a bear that can move faster than a human being only 14 feet away, you can see the problem. Anyway, personally I'm going with bear spray and the Glock and really focusing on situation awareness, so I have time to react.
    Last edited by lprmcnit; April 6th, 2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: additional clarification
    Philly Boy likes this.

Just a note: In spite of the title of the BYU article hyperlink, I want to make it clear that I personally carry in the outdoors, and believe it is appropriate. The most interesting thing about the Wildlife Management article is the distance in the attacks.

I just knew I would get all of the above comments, many of which completely missed the point I was trying to make(my bad!) and got off onto bear stories(mostly interesting, however). The POINT was this: since we always read disagreements re. which caliber is best for self defense, I thought--- wrongly, it seems-- that IF there is a handgun that would stop a bear, it would be more than sufficient to stop a human. Boy, was I wrong!! If someone had noted, that,a .357 is a good defense re. a bear, then I would have been satisfied. But it looks like there is as much disagreement about this "bear business" than the much less complex(?) question of an all around self defense slug! The ONLY grizzly I EVER expect to see is in a zoo! So I guess I'll just trust the ballistic reports and come to my own conclusion as to the best BG stopper for MY use. Thanks anyway, boys and girls! P.S I think I'll go now and have some !
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

VIP Member
    Why stop at a Grizzly? Why not elephants?

Seriously, I wouldn't make your SD choice on comparing Grizzly to Man (that's way beyond Apples to Oranges, by the way).
    blitzburgh likes this.

Probably used the wrong animal to use as an illustration: how about a wolf or a wild boar, etc.,.......?
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Alaskan DNR and other LEO go into the woods with either a 12g or a guide gun in large (.45-70) caliber, or as big a pistol as they can manage.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Spent the better part of my career in Ak.Another vote for the 12ga.Seasoned Ak folk swear by em.But they also dont go lookin for trouble,cause trouble is what yer gonna get. We carried 12ga riot pumps in our heli's. After flying over many a pissed off griz, I had often wondered if that 12ga would do the trick.
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Norway Special Forces (similar to Navy Seals) .....chose the Glock 20:

"The weapons carried also reflect the harsh conditions. Only bolt-action rifles (M17/M53) performs reliably. The standard SIG210 Neuhausen sidearm was recently replaced by the 10mm Glock 20, as the stopping power of multiple 9mm rounds proved to be insufficient against a polar bear."

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links