What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly?

This is a discussion on What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read the report on the Ohio "zoo" animals that were set free before the owner shot himself. I made note that one of the ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly?

I read the report on the Ohio "zoo" animals that were set free before the owner shot himself. I made note that one of the responding officers shot and killed a charging black bear with one shot with a 165 grain 40 S&W. I always thought the 40 cal was just about perfect.
    i do live in an area where a bear encounter is not unexpected. I like to carry the 44 special. (I like revolvers).
    Philly Boy likes this.
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    I read the report on the Ohio "zoo" animals that were set free before the owner shot himself. I made note that one of the responding officers shot and killed a charging black bear with one shot with a 165 grain 40 S&W. I always thought the 40 cal was just about perfect.
    i do live in an area where a bear encounter is not unexpected. I like to carry the 44 special. (I like revolvers).
    I read that as well.
    I too live in Blackie country,I cant say one way or another if i could stop a charging Black with a 40cal,or perhaps a 357,or even a 45. But I do know I would'nt even waste the money to transport those calibers up to Ak.
    Grizz-he's atop the food chain.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    Been pondering the age old question of what caliber is really the very best to stop a BG, and the thought struck me: if a certain caliber is the preferred choice vs. a grizzly, then it must be able to take down or stop any BG that should darken my place in the dead of night or any other time. So I'm interested in hearing if you think the 357 sig, 10mm or the 40 might be the best round for a bear or BG? Or is there another that can do the job equally well for each of these scenarios? Thanks for your thoughts: I'm considering on letting go of one of my 9mm guns for the caliber that will be THE all around bear/BG weapon( not counting a long gun). I expect to never be near a grizzly, but if a caliber will get me out of the way of one of these huge beasts, I probably will want that in my small collection.P.S. My G19 is not in the sell/trade picture!
    It's a question of more of what you are comfortable handling. The S&W Model 500 X frame revolver with a 10. in. length barrel is without a doubt the most powerful production hunting revolver made. The S&W 500 cartridge weighs 350 gr. at 1975 fps generates a muzzle velocity of 3,030 foot pounds of force. That's enough to take down the largest big game, providing you can handle the recoil. It will easily penetrate two people at 200 yds. It's generally not recommended for personal home defense.

For home defense, .40 cal with JHP is more than adequate. An in expensive Mossberg 500 persuader with an 18" barrel loaded with 8 rds of 00 Buck will do 6 times the damage at 50 yds or less. If it must be one shot on kill, a Barrett close quarters 20" M107A1 50BMG will do the job and more, with accuracy to about 600 yds or more.

I prefer a 5" .45 cal. 1911 w/ 230 gr. FMJ for EDC but a sub compact 9mm is easier to carry so in the summer I switch to a Walther PPS 9mm w/ 124 gr. Gold Dot most days. I don't like the extra recoil of .40 in most sub compact slim framed semi autos.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

12 ga 3" mag 1oz slugs for bear, 2/34 " for BG, no buckshot for either.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    Probably used the wrong animal to use as an illustration: how about a wolf or a wild boar, etc.,.......?
    Plenty of hogs taken with .17 HMR. There are bears here. Mostly black, which I've seen. There are brown bears but very, very rare this low. (widely thought to be extinct.. but seem to pop up from time to time) 300gr 44mag and a little prayer that I don't have to bet my life on it if I'm outdoors and about. I don't think the odds are in my favor but a nice subgun is on the list before a 500 mag or a more powerful rifle.. (got bigger, or rather, more numerous worries than bears) The weather is funny this year and I hope not to see any around because the deer population has exploded and I'm sure the blacks are gonna be grumpy and hungry. Slugs would be my choice right here on my property.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

The smallest I would have is a 44 magnum with some good bullet's.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

If a Griz (not a blackie) charges you, you better have a powerful rifle very handy. If you don't, you better have a 44 magnum (minimum) or preferably a 454 Casull that you know how to shoot. It also better have hardcast loads by Buffalo Bore or Double Tap. Meeting up with a charging Griz is a huge problem. Better you do all you can to avoid one. If you are packing a 40 or 45, you better just off yourself once it is 10 ft of you and it's not a bluff charge.
    ksblazer likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Philly Boy: Enjoy the popcorn while watching the show If you want some VERY interesting reading about bears, that will make your hair stand on end, try this: Alaskan Author Larry Kaniut: Official Website In the original Alaskan Bear Tales is a story about several young Coasties in Kodiak--I met the survivor years later, and saw the bear in the story in the Army Airport terminal at Fort Greely.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    45/70

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    Norway Special Forces (similar to Navy Seals) .....chose the Glock 20:

"The weapons carried also reflect the harsh conditions. Only bolt-action rifles (M17/M53) performs reliably. The standard SIG210 Neuhausen sidearm was recently replaced by the 10mm Glock 20, as the stopping power of multiple 9mm rounds proved to be insufficient against a polar bear."
    I do believe those are the Danes, for their Sirius Patrols in Greenland--and ONLY those patrols.

IIRC, the standard sidearm for the Norwegian Army is the Glock 17.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear encounters, the Montana Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, backpackers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears.

We advise outdoorsmen to wear noisy little bells on their clothing so that the bears are not startled unexpectedly by a human's presence. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear poop and grizzly bear poop. Black bear poop is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear poop smells like pepper and has little bells in it.

Montana Grizzly Bear Notice
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    12 gauge. It's that simple. Lots of other stuff will kill a grizzly, no doubt. But you want something that stops him right now.
    Having lived in AK and spent a little time up there, let me tell you a 12ga is very popular.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Cool

This would be an option I would like in bear country........

Kevin Webb Shooting Mossberg 930 SPX Semi-Automatic 12 GA Shotgun - YouTube

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Ever consider a 12 gage shotgun loaded with buckshot? Once it gets to within 25 feet or so aim for the face and eyes to blind it. I would think it's threat to you would diminish if it can't see you. Even if you shoot it with a 44 mag in it's heart it's going to still be running right toward you.
    multistage likes this.

I asked a similar question here. It's a real balance between weight and capacity and power. I think I could hike with a .44 mag, but it's a heavy, heavy gun style. As well, stopping a charging bear is much different from stopping a person, I'd think. I'd want to put many, many bullets into a charging bear, each of which quite likely to get at least 20 inches in.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links