What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly?

This is a discussion on What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All the black bears I've run up on hunting in the brushy mtns run away when they see humans, but let me say they can ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly?

All the black bears I've run up on hunting in the brushy mtns run away when they see humans, but let me say they can run fast as a cat. I would say if one was mad or protecting cubs and ran at you by the time u got to ur senses to react u might get one shot off.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
    460 S&W magnum with 400 grain hard cast lead bullets at 1700 fps out a 4" barrel. Win.
    Same here, but out of a 5" Barrel.
    ...T. Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
    That's right. They are different cartridges with the same caliber.
    Give it a break, man!

The .38 Short Colt, .38 Long Colt, .38 S&W, .38 Special, .38 ACP, .380 ACP, .38 Super, .357 Mag, .357 Sig, 9x19mm, 9mm Largo, 9mm Makarov, and the .36 Cap and Ball (and probably a bunch of others I'm forgetting) are ALL essentially the same "caliber" (+/- .006"), but in context are considered different "calibers".

If someone asks what caliber a .38 Special snub is, it'd be pretty rare (and misleading) to get the answer, ".357". Likewise, asked about his 9mm or .380, it's unlikely a guy would say, ".355". In the vernacular, a .40 S&W and a 10mm are different calibers.

Get past the semantics, my friend.

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Give it a break, man!

The .38 Short Colt, .38 Long Colt, .38 S&W, .38 Special, .38 ACP, .380 ACP, .38 Super, .357 Mag, .357 Sig, 9x19mm, 9mm Largo, 9mm Makarov, and the .36 Cap and Ball (and probably a bunch of others I'm forgetting) are ALL essentially the same "caliber" (+/- .006"), but in context are considered different "calibers".

If someone asks what caliber a .38 Special snub is, it'd be pretty rare (and misleading) to get the answer, ".357". Likewise, asked about his 9mm or .380, it's unlikely a guy would say, ".355". In the vernacular, a .40 S&W and a 10mm are different calibers.

Get past the semantics, my friend.

Regards,
    Jim

Jim - You are correct those listed cartridges are essentially the same caliber. Strictly speaking, "caliber" refers to the bullet diameter while cartridge is the whole package. Many people use "caliber" to erroneously refer to cartridges. Many do not know the difference. It's very similar to people referring to patridge sights as "partridge". That's the way they heard their Dad, Grandfather or shooting buddies call so it is the way they say it. But that doesn't make it right.

When someone asks what caliber my 38 Special snub is I answer "It shoots 38 Special cartridges."

When someone with an AR-15 sees me with my Ruger 10/22 and tells me I need a gun with a larger caliber I tell them it's the same caliber as theirs. Then I get my AR10.

For those not familiar with Partridge sights, here's a pic.

Attached Images
    Cory1022, Hoganbeg and ron8903 like this.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yooperdug View Post
    I read that as well.
    I too live in Blackie country,I cant say one way or another if i could stop a charging Black with a 40cal,or perhaps a 357,or even a 45. But I do know I would'nt even waste the money to transport those calibers up to Ak.
    Grizz-he's atop the food chain.
    You got that right!
    I put the boat in on the Tanana river at Delta Junction AK, yesterday, as cabin fever was really in need of a cure. I was watching close along the high banks for the bears as they will eat the squaw cabbage and sweet-grass shoots in the spring. I got a glimpse of one midsize black bear out by cabin bluff, but didn't see any grizzlies. Ive taken to carrying a .375 Ruger rifle in the boat and when exploring and a .44 mag w/ bear loads on my hip. Grizzlies are a knot headed bunch, and don't die easily, but neither gun is suitable for 2 legged varmints. Pick the right tool for the job.....you don't need a hammer to fix a wristwatch.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    Been pondering the age old question of what caliber is really the very best to stop a BG, and the thought struck me: if a certain caliber is the preferred choice vs. a grizzly, then it must be able to take down or stop any BG that should darken my place in the dead of night or any other time. So I'm interested in hearing if you think the 357 sig, 10mm or the 40 might be the best round for a bear or BG? Or is there another that can do the job equally well for each of these scenarios? Thanks for your thoughts: I'm considering on letting go of one of my 9mm guns for the caliber that will be THE all around bear/BG weapon( not counting a long gun). I expect to never be near a grizzly, but if a caliber will get me out of the way of one of these huge beasts, I probably will want that in my small collection.P.S. My G19 is not in the sell/trade picture!
    The LARGEST with the MOStest grains. I prefer my .45 - 70 when trout fishing in the Rockies. Takes all day to pull it out of the holster, but packs a big bang for the buck!

Quote Originally Posted by trayzor View Post
    I flinch just thinking about that! A sore palm is certainly better than a mauled corpse ... but still ...
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

No handgun caliber smaller than a 44 mag is reliable for a grizzly 50 cal is even better.

Quote Originally Posted by baldboy View Post
    No handgun caliber... is reliable for a grizzly...
    There, fixed it for ya!
    ANGLICO likes this.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

But Chuck Norris is!!!!!!
    ANGLICO and grouse like this.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

I think that a 'lots of bullets' of the heavier calibers might be enough. Not 9mm or the .45 acp, probably, unless you had a LOT of time to unload. I'd think that 8-10 rounds of 10mm might be enough, though.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Grizzly ??? A 30-06, 308, or a 45-70 and at least 150 yrds away.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

We aren't short of big brownies in my neck of the woods. A 460V S&W is what I carry for bear protection. In town, the 460 S&W rounds come out and the 45 Long Colts go in.

Bear, Buffalo, or Bad Guy, the 460V will take care of business as long as I do my part.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post

But Chuck Norris is!!!!!!
    Got a nice pic of Chuck and Son #2 over in Iraq. Chuck (love him or hate him) does reach out and do good for our Military.

Quote Originally Posted by trayzor View Post
    I'm guessing probably a 4" barrel unless your pistol is super custom. I've got the smith 4" + 1" compensator. It's only got 4" of rifling even though smith calls it a 5" gun.

Links