What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly?

This is a discussion on What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Forget the pistol. Use a big long gun. I once hit a black bear with my '86 LeBaron. Head on @ 60mph, no brakes. The ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly?

Forget the pistol. Use a big long gun.

I once hit a black bear with my '86 LeBaron. Head on @ 60mph, no brakes. The bear just laughed it off.
    It was shot two weeks later by the police. It was found a few miles away crying from a shattered shoulder...

Bottom line, no pistol is going to do the job on a grizzly...

Sent from my DROIDX

2. Remove Ads

That's silly to say. Grizzlies have been killed by handguns, and by bow.

Are they the best bets to protect yourself? Nope.

Anyone claiming high capacity over bigger and more powerful is deluding themselves too. Bears are amazingly fast. In some cases you might be lucky enough to get one shot off, much less any more. These aren't stupid thugs, these are giant and very powerful animals who will react like the gladiators they are.

I'm happy enough to not deal with them in my neck of the woods.

Distinguished Member
    If I had my choice, a 40mm HE would do nicely

But if practicality is an issue, a 12ga with hard-cast slugs would be my top choice

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Anyone claiming high capacity over bigger and more powerful is deluding themselves too. Bears are amazingly fast.
    Yeah, I get what you're saying. You still need to be really lucky to down a charging bear with a pistol. I would choose a 0.460 over a 10mm any day if it was a single shot. I just wonder if we'd rather have 2 or 3 10mm rounds go in vs. one 0.460? Is a 2:1 ratio comparable? Double the wound channels, but a much shorter one.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Of those you mentioned, definately the 10mm, and I would recommend good running shoes.
    I know everyone says you should not run from a bear, but what are you going to do? stay there and be eaten??!!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

O.K. GUYS/GALS: LET'S PUT AN END TO THIS. MY ONLY QUESTION WAS HOW TO DEFINITELY STOP A BG. I DIDN'T WANT A TREATISE ON BEARS! I GET YOUR MANY POINTS. NOW, GO AND HUG YOUR KIDS,WIFE ,HUSBAND OR SO. THANK YOU.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by S3NTYN3L View Post
    ...I once hit a black bear with my '86 LeBaron. Head on @ 60mph, no brakes. The bear just laughed it off...
    Wow! The B.S. meter pegged out on that one!

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Wow! The B.S. meter pegged out on that one!
    True......but it WAS an '86 LeBaron (K Car) so its possible it totaled the car!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    O.K. GUYS/GALS: LET'S PUT AN END TO THIS. MY ONLY QUESTION WAS HOW TO DEFINITELY STOP A BG. I DIDN'T WANT A TREATISE ON BEARS! I GET YOUR MANY POINTS. NOW, GO AND HUG YOUR KIDS,WIFE ,HUSBAND OR SO. THANK YOU.
    Er, you're welcome?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    Well, you did ask what would take down a bear, and thus any BG, so.....what did you expect?
    I think the title was " what caliber vs. a grizzly "
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I'd prefer a 12 gauge with slugs but in a pistol at least a 44 mag
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Re: What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly?

Sorry for the necro and the extremely late reply. It's been a busy year for me and mine...

Yes, the car was totaled. I was in the hospital for about a week with fractured ribs and a broken collar bone from airbag deployment and seatbelt lockup.

As for the BS meter, I'm sure it's on record with the Ledgewood, NJ/Roxbury township police department and/or the Lake Hopatcong State Police barracks nearby. Or, you could try Dover General Hospital, but I hear they've been closed for several years now...
    It happened at Rt46 & Mooney Rd in Ledgewood under the I 80 overpass.
    It was seventeen years ago however, those records are most likely rotting in a box somewhere...

I distinctly recall going to look at the car at impound weeks later and picking fur out of the bumper where the turn signal used to be...
    The shop said the frame was out of square by about two inches from the impact...

I'd post pictures of the car but they're either down in Florida somewhere with my mother or got lost in one of my numerous moves across the country in the last decade and a half...

Anywho, believe what you will. Hell, the insurance company didn't believe me at the time either. That is, until they got the police reports and sent out an adjuster to see for himself...

Good day to you all.;)

Edit: Sorry, there was supposed to be a quote at the top of this post. I'm on my phone and too lazy to Add it now, lol...

Sent via mental telepathy...
    Last edited by S3NTYN3L; December 11th, 2012 at 04:31 AM.
    Philly Boy likes this.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    22 is all you need...22 to the leg of the guy your trying to out run and your good.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Probably a 357 magnum....not sure if you would ever hear another one coming after it though...

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Back in the 60s, when I used to fly above the arctic circle, we used to carry .357 armor piercing rounds in our revolvers. It was theoretically for defense against the polar bears. I don't know if they would work against those mosquitoes...they were huge!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links