What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly? - Page 7

What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly?

This is a discussion on What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by lchamp Back in the 60s, when I used to fly above the arctic circle, we used to carry .357 armor piercing rounds ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    Back in the 60s, when I used to fly above the arctic circle, we used to carry .357 armor piercing rounds in our revolvers. It was theoretically for defense against the polar bears. I don't know if they would work against those mosquitoes...they were huge!
    And numerous!
    lchamp likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    Of those you mentioned, definately the 10mm, and I would recommend good running shoes.
    I know everyone says you should not run from a bear, but what are you going to do? stay there and be eaten??!!
    No shoes for me. I run faster without shoes. I sure hope there is someone between me and the bear lol.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

I would only go into griz country with a .44 mag or a .454 Casull

When I am in Grizzly country in north central, and far north east Washington; I carry a 444 Marlin® with Beartooth® 325gr WFNGC hardcast boolits, a 41 Remington® Magnum handgun w/Beartooth® 265gr WLNGC hardcast boolits, and Bear Spray.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Crowman, aus71383, grouse and 1 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    What the ad doesn't say is the bear choked to death on the gun after eating its owner.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That's how my chihuahua beats Dobermans!
    Consider matching your Thanksgiving dinner spending to DwB donations. It's a rare for investment and charity to converge.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

Depends on what your hardware is

Bolt-Action
    Bolt-action calibers include the .300 and .338 Winchester Magnums, .300 and .340 Weatherby Magnums, .375 H&H Magnum and the .458 Winchester Magnum.

Lever-Action Choices
    The .45-70 Government, .444 Marlin and .450 Marlin are very powerful cartridges that can be used to to humanly dispatch the Bruin

Single-Shot Choices
    The single-shot action is a specialized type of rifle. It can be chambered in powerful calibers, but they should only be used on dangerous game by seasoned shooters. Calibers deemed too powerful for a bolt action can be handled quite safely in a strong, modern single-shot firearm. The drawback is that only one shot can be fired at a time. Single-shot rifle calibers recommended for grizzly bears include .338 Winchester Magnum, .375 H&H Magnum and .458 Winchester Magnum.

Double Rifles
    The .375 H&H, .404 Jeffrey, .450 Lott, .450-400, .500 Nitro-Express and the tremendously powerful .505 Gibbs are calibers that can be recommended for use in double rifles against grizzly

Hand gun, 500 S&W or 454 casull. 44 mag he's already on top of you and has your head in his mouth. These animals have a savage rage.

Just my opinion.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    What the ad doesn't say is the bear choked to death on the gun after eating its owner.
    Either that or else the bullets were dipped in curare.

Perhaps "Bear Hunt in folder No. 65" would enlighten us.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Hmmmm give me a R.P.G. Then Ill be good to go for bear country.

OMG!! That freaking cracked me up...good thing I had already put my drink down

You know, I wonder IF a 0.25 could defeat a grizzly once a grizzly was facing you? A neck->CNS hit should still be enough, but I don't really know if there're any places on a grizzly (facing you) where the bullet could go deeply enough to stop it.

I might be underestimating the power of this round to go through fur, skin, and muscle - but I don't know if I am.
    Consider matching your Thanksgiving dinner spending to DwB donations. It's a rare for investment and charity to converge.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

I was once up in alaska salmon fishing and had a grizz charge me and my fishing partner. He decided to shoot, so he emptied his .44mag all six shots and the bear kept running. Luckley I always carry an 18" shotgun with slugs in alaska, needless to say it took 2, 3" slugs to finally put him down. I would not reccomend any handgun vs a grizz. as long as you have the choice a shotgun is king.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    You know, I wonder IF a 0.25 could defeat a grizzly once a grizzly was facing you? A neck->CNS hit should still be enough, but I don't really know if there're any places on a grizzly (facing you) where the bullet could go deeply enough to stop it.

I might be underestimating the power of this round to go through fur, skin, and muscle - but I don't know if I am.
    We used to joke that the proper way to kill a grizzly with a handgun was to point it at the bear and just before he chomped down on your hand, fire into his mouth...yeah, that would take exquisite timing.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Hmmm, well the only reason I ever find myself in bear country is because I'm hunting with a rifle & my two favorite rifles are 30/06 & .375 H&H. So 06 for the little bears .375 for the big bears.

Time to worry 'bout BG's is back in a town. Then it would be most of the time a .45acp.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Sponsored Links