What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly?

This is a discussion on What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I started this thread, I was simply trying to figure out how to definitely stop a bad guy... so I brought up the grizzly ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly?

When I started this thread, I was simply trying to figure out how to definitely stop a bad guy... so I brought up the grizzly idea figuring that if a certain slug could stop a grizzly it would surely stop a bad guy. Now, I wish I hadn't gotten into the whole " grizzly thing!" I will have to be more careful in the future as to how I set-up a question, lest I get months worth of answers. On the other hand, it's been fun to hear all of your grizzly stories, etc... .
    aus71383 likes this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

Does this mean you're not putting much stock in Colt's .25 ACP ad?
    aus71383 and Philly Boy like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Well, I had to join this forum just to reply to this thread. Because obviously you guys don't know anything. ;)

All you need for a Grizzly is an AK47 Draco with a 40 round mag. Empty that into him and if he doesn't stop, well OK, you're dead.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    When I started this thread, I was simply trying to figure out how to definitely stop a bad guy... so I brought up the grizzly idea figuring that if a certain slug could stop a grizzly it would surely stop a bad guy. Now, I wish I hadn't gotten into the whole " grizzly thing!" I will have to be more careful in the future as to how I set-up a question, lest I get months worth of answers. On the other hand, it's been fun to hear all of your grizzly stories, etc... .
    It's a decent safety margin, to be sure. A grizzly is going to be vastly tougher than a person when it comes to pistol-caliber debates. Like I said upthread, I don't know the inches of penetration to make a CNS hit likely on a facing-you bear.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

22lr... eyeball shot
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

bunker: WHOSE eyeball?????
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    22lr... eyeball shot
    I saw this and knew that you had posted it as a joke, but what is even funnier (after the fact) is that I know of an event where this exact thing (allegedly) happened!

As a young wildlife biology major at the University of Montana (mid 70's), I happened to be taking some courses taught by one of the world's foremost bear experts, Dr. Charles Jonkel (for some great reading do a google search for that name - here's one article: The Grizzly Bear Outreach Project (GBOP): Documentary on the life of Charles Jonkel). He related to us "all ears" students in the class the story of one time when he was working with polar bears in the Canadian arctic.

Apparently, he was the lucky guy tagged to enter into a denning female polar bear's hole to mark the bear. While a denning female doesn't enter a state of true hibernation, they are still supposed to be in a reduced metabolic state. This one wasn't. Beating a hasty retreat, he was closely followed by the bear and with no alternative other than having to use the only firearm he had on him, a .22! Call him lucky, or unbelievably cool under fire, he managed to get one shot off which entered the bear's eye, passing through the eye orbital ( a very thin area of bone) and right into the brain, taking the bear down at once.

Was he just impressing us naive students with a tall tale? Was he telling the truth? I'm not sure, and he wasn't saying at the time, but I will tell you that the polar bear skull we had opportunity to examine in the wildlife lab was supposed to be that bear's skull and it had a bullet hole going through the eye orbital bone!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Links