What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly?

This is a discussion on What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been pondering the age old question of what caliber is really the very best to stop a BG, and the thought struck me: if a ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: What Caliber Vs. a Grizzly?

Been pondering the age old question of what caliber is really the very best to stop a BG, and the thought struck me: if a certain caliber is the preferred choice vs. a grizzly, then it must be able to take down or stop any BG that should darken my place in the dead of night or any other time. So I'm interested in hearing if you think the 357 sig, 10mm or the 40 might be the best round for a bear or BG? Or is there another that can do the job equally well for each of these scenarios? Thanks for your thoughts: I'm considering on letting go of one of my 9mm guns for the caliber that will be THE all around bear/BG weapon( not counting a long gun). I expect to never be near a grizzly, but if a caliber will get me out of the way of one of these huge beasts, I probably will want that in my small collection.P.S. My G19 is not in the sell/trade picture!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    What size grizzly ??? Also you probably have read the story about the boy that killed a grizzly with his 22 rifle by shooting it in the eye. God Bless

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Best bear caliber...is a .22, shoot whoever is with you in the knee and run!

Seriously, of the three you list 10mm would be my choice, but only if I couldn't carry .44 mag or larger.
    Preferably 12 ga. slugs.
    Just my $.02
    Last edited by Stubborn; April 6th, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1.00 might be a good caliber!
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member
    S&W 500 .50 cal?
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    A .22. The following has numerous citations, with minor variations:
    Largest GRIZZLY shot with .22 Long on record Alberta

"Bella Twin at age 63 and her friend D. Auger were hunting grouse and picking berries, near Lesser Slave Lake in Northern Alberta. The gun she owned and carried was a single-shot bolt-action .22 caliber rimfire rifle. They were walking a cutline that had been made for oil exploration when they ran into a ex-large grizzly following the same survey line towards them. If they ran,the grizzly would notice them and give chase, so they quietly sat down in a brush pile and hoped the grizzly would pass them by without any trouble. But the grizzly came to close and Bella Twin shot the grizzly in the side of the head with a .22 Long cartridge. The big grizzly dropped, kicked and then lay still. Bella taking no chances went up to it and fired the 7 cartridges that she had left into the grizzly's head. This took place in 1953, was the world-record grizzly for several years. Which goes to show you that anything is possible in an emergency. Twin’s grizzly stands as the longest-reigning provincial big-game record in Alberta.

The Boone and Crockett score for her bear was 26 5/16."
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    There is a HUGE size and muscular density differential between your average BG and a Grizzly bear. I carry a 10mm in the woods, but I wouldn't even trust that to take out a Grizzly bear. A 500 magnum, maybe, if you can control it. To that end, I don't seem to grasp what you are reaching for here so I will yield the remainder of my time to my distinguished colleagues.
    oneshot and Secret Spuk like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

I wouldn't go much smaller than a .300 Win Mag.
    RKflorida likes this.

12 gauge. It's that simple. Lots of other stuff will kill a grizzly, no doubt. But you want something that stops him right now.
    C hawk Glock likes this.

If I knew I was going to go face to face with a grizzly armed with nothing but a handgun...my choice would be, hands down, my .500 S&W, loaded with the heaviest, hottest hard-cast WFN I could get my hands on.

However, that would not be such a good antipersonnel choice. A bit excessive in the overpenetration department.

Really, what's good for bruins is not good for human threats.

The calibers you mention will--if placed on target, that is--all do just fine for self-defense against a goblin.
    oneshot and Philly Boy like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

If I were to go hiking.. I'd bring a .454 Casull. But then again, a huge can of bear spray would also work.

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

VIP Member
    I'd feel more comfortable with a 338WM, then a 12ga slug, 500 S&W, down to a 41 mag. I'd feel less comfortable with a 10mm, 45auto, 40S&W, or 357. A friend I know in MT carries the 26oz S&W 329PD 6 shot 44, but she's a mountain gal. I like the 22 idea.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

10 gauge or .375 H&H.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    12 gauge. It's that simple. Lots of other stuff will kill a grizzly, no doubt. But you want something that stops him right now.
    There's not too many SD issues that can't be successfully addressed with a scatter gun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    There is a HUGE size and muscular density differential between your average BG and a Grizzly bear. I carry a 10mm in the woods, but I wouldn't even trust that to take out a Grizzly bear. A 500 magnum, maybe, if you can control it. To that end, I don't seem to grasp what you are reaching for here so I will yield the remainder of my time to my distinguished colleagues.

^^^^YEP^^^^^^^?????

Are you planning on moving to grizzly country? You do not need a big stick like that in OH.
    Grizzly bear? Handgun cartridge? .44 mag. on the light end, IF the bear is not too big. 500lb. or so. .454 Casull on up for better peace of mind.

Two legged thugs?
    .38o minimum. 9mm/,38spl. on up
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links