Upgrades for PM9 Trigger

Upgrades for PM9 Trigger

This is a discussion on Upgrades for PM9 Trigger within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having trouble sufficiently concealing my G27 which I would prefer to carry so I am trying to switch to my PM9 which, being smaller, is ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TSiWRX

Thread: Upgrades for PM9 Trigger

Upgrades for PM9 Trigger

Having trouble sufficiently concealing my G27 which I would prefer to carry so I am trying to switch to my PM9 which, being smaller, is easier to conceal. Although the trigger is all right it is longer with a longer reset than the G27. Does anyone know of any upgrades available to lighten and shorthen the PM9 trigger? I have found my best carry location, all things being considered in 12 -2 basically appendix IWB. Anyone use Smartcarry? What about Belly Bands? Thanks.[/SIZE]

I've always considered the elite trigger on my Kahrs to be absolutely awesome right outa the box... I'd be interested to see what anyone comes up with though..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Some people install the 5# striker spring.
    Springs for KAHR ARMS Semi-Auto Pistols

I use a Smartcarry frequently. I would suggest you get one, and carry your G27. The PM9 would make a nice BUG.

Another option - I had some of my pants pockets deepened and squared off by a tailor. As I sit here, I have a G26 in my right pocket, and a PM9 in my left. Both are in Desantis Superfly holsters, which do a pretty good job of breaking up the outline of the pistols, due to the anti-print panel.

Leave the trigger on your PM9 alone. It's a good pistol, but it will never be a Glock.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Like some of the above members have said, I'd leave the PM9 alone.

The heavy DAO action is the safety on this pistol, and FWIW, many, myself included, consider its trigger to be among the best of the breed, with a very smooth pull and a clean break.

Spend more time with the PM9, if you want to look at it as your "alternate carry." The trigger will take time to master, but once you get it down, it's a very, very impressive defensive autopistol, for its size.

I've seen some *very* good shooting out of PM9 owners who use this pistol as their primary carry.
    surefire7 likes this.

I've owned a PM9 over 5 years. It's my back up to my G19. I would suggest not messing with the trigger. Carrying a gun with a modified trigger can create problems, legally, if you use your gun in self defense. Especially if you lighten the trigger. I clicked the link to the reduced power striker spring, it says "for competition only, not for duty use." Perhaps there's a reason for that. I wouldn't suggest it for CCW either. I've hit an 8" steel plate at 50 yards with my PM9 several times during a training class. I can consistently hit that same steel plate at 25 yards. The PM9 is a good gun, usually better than the shooter. Run your PM9 in a training class or several IDPA matches. You'll get better with it and won't even want to alter the trigger. Also, my trigger on my PM9 became lighter on it's own after about 500-600 rounds.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by TxRanger View Post
    Having trouble sufficiently concealing my G27 which I would prefer to carry so I am trying to switch to my PM9 which, being smaller, is easier to conceal. Although the trigger is all right it is longer with a longer reset than the G27. Does anyone know of any upgrades available to lighten and shorthen the PM9 trigger? I have found my best carry location, all things being considered in 12 -2 basically appendix IWB. Anyone use Smartcarry? What about Belly Bands? Thanks.[/SIZE]
    Yeah. The best upgrade for the trigger is to shoot it more. I guarantee you will get used to it and end up liking it more than your other guns.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Perhaps a call to Kahr would be useful to ask if the new enhanced trigger will be available for retrofitting into older PM9s. I'm not sure the enhanced trigger is actually available yet though. A lighter striker spring reduces the pull weight a slight amount but doesn't affect the length of pull. A standard Kahr has a 6-7 lb. pull as it is. Not many people would consider that excessive for a carry gun, and in particular, not too much for a pocket gun.

I prefer the Kahr PM9 trigger over the others, it is smooth and once you shoot it for awhile it will be your favorite. Mine smoothed out a lot after 500-600 rounds.

Links