Rohrbaugh R9

Rohrbaugh R9

This is a discussion on Rohrbaugh R9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was going to wait on the all black model to come out but have decided to get the original model as I have found ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rohrbaugh R9

Rohrbaugh R9

I was going to wait on the all black model to come out but have decided to get the original model as I have found a store close by that has 1.

I would like to have some feedback from those who own or have had in the past, 1 of these little 9mm's. I will wait until next Tuesday before I venture out to buy one. Thanks!!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

I think Chris (P95) and a few others here, currently own those fine handguns..............You'll get very good info from the Forum.....
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Assistant Administrator
    HV - yes I have one very early one and a later one that does BUG duty mainly.

I could write reams on it but to save that and also help cover things in more depth - do make use of the two links in my sig line.

The R forum is itself a source of much info - including some instances where folks had problems. Then too - if you go to my FAQ site you'll find a fair bit about various aspects - I am R9SCarry over there!

There is a new member over there picking up his gun on Tuesday - not you is it?

Anyways - browse thru what I have suggested and come back with any specific queries.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have little experiance with mine as I just got it last week from erh. But from looking it over, breaking it down for inspection and all, the gun is tight and not made of that plactic crap. It's obvious that these little R9's are very well made and very well thought out. The slide is like butter, the sites (on the R9s models) are better than the NAA Guardian IMO. This definately is the best pocket gun I have ever seen or held before and the only one I would consider, I don't like less than 9mm so I never had a pocket gun before this. It is also unheard of to have a 9mm Luger in a gun this size until thr R9 came out.

I think that I am going to trick it even further and send the slide off for the night sites that I found on Chris's (P95's) FAQ site down the road. I haven't shot it yet, but I am looking forward to it and will when I find some Super Lube or maybe Tetra grease as recommended for the barrel and lug before shooting.

About all I can say until I actually shoot it, hope this helps some. I will say they are expencive and even looking at it now I still feel that it is, is it worth it? In the end I think it is because this is a lifetime gun that we will have that can be passed down. It's not some cheap POS that will end up being traded off later. The R9 seems to hold it's value nicely as well.

A quick pic for you!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    For myself they little jewls are too spendy , but i do understand that they are top notch , some have a bit of teething problems ( from what i have read ) but any issues are addressed rapidly , and fairly by the company . In summation if i could afford one i would own one from what i know .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Great!!

Well, from this what I am reading,I think I will take the plunge...now the only question is do I want sights or not. This will not be a target practice gun but a deep carry gun.

P95, I am new on the Rhorbough forum but that is not me that posted about picking up a gun on Tuesday.

There is a gun store clode by that has 1 with no sights, or I could have 1 shipped with sights. What is your opinion on the sights on this gun.

I know they are expensive....but I want one and you only live once
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The sights on any pocket pistol are crude , and we can debate all day on if they are worth anything or not . That being said on a personal level i have never seen sights slow down deployment of a firearm , I have seen no sights , or bad sights slow down an improperly trained shooter . For eventual resail only if no other reason any pistol i have has some form of sights .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post
    Well, from this what I am reading,I think I will take the plunge...now the only question is do I want sights or not. This will not be a target practice gun but a deep carry gun.

P95, I am new on the Rhorbough forum but that is not me that posted about picking up a gun on Tuesday.

There is a gun store clode by that has 1 with no sights, or I could have 1 shipped with sights. What is your opinion on the sights on this gun.

Personally I wanted the sites, I wanted the option of going with the machined night sites in the furture. I also have been practice drawing several times with the R9s and see no signs of the sites snagging anything I have worn so far. I will say either Hi Vi's paint or the night sites is a must if using the R9s in a panic situation and actually getting to use the sites. So I am not sure they even matter if you don't care about being able or have the option for the night sites down the road. The original design was wihtout sites but customer demand brought about the R9s. I think the ration is 70% R9s and 30% R9 from what they are saying.

I know they are expensive....but I want one and you only live once

Thata boy!
    Ti Carry!
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    Oh yeah - the sights deal - or not.

Well originally they were making two slides, one with sights the other machined smooth. Now although some sightless ones still to be had, it would be a special order, as the majority of buyers have selected the ''s'' version over time.

I did too but to be honest - had the gun had no sights ever - it would not have mattered a whole lot - considering this fella is almost for sure gonna see only up close action.

Of course - the sights being there does help for the longer shot if needed - and over many years I have pushed a lot of handguns at distance so - sights I went for.

Because they are quite modest and basic - they certainly have not for me presented any snagging problem at all.

I'll post again my two - both from early days of output at the Farmingdale factory.

Chris - P95

If you can afford them, and you don't mind a high maintenance gun, then get it.

A good gun - I have two of them - very accurate and and easy to conceal.

Get the sights - they are small and don't hang up the gun in the pocket.

Last edited by MountainMan; September 3rd, 2006 at 12:06 AM.
    MountainMan - Dave

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

I prefer this............but they're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money now..........especially IF you can find one
    Attached Images
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Assistant Administrator
    Tell me more Bob? Hard to assess actual size too.
    Chris - P95

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Chris

Talk about the high maintenance gun issue.

As you know I have been thinking about buying one in a few weeks when I get up to Dallas but I have almost talked myself out of it because from reading your other forum it looks like they are a high maintenance gun.

Why do they need need so much more maintenance than any other gun?

Do they actually heat up so much that you can only shoot a certain number of rounds thru them and if so how long between shots. For instance if I shoot 3 mags thru it how long would I need to wait to shoot another three thru it?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Ex Member Array Ghost Who Walks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    If you can afford them, and you don't mind a high maintenance gun, then get it.
    Why? I was at a local shooting match outside of Quakertown, PA, two years ago when Rohrbaugh's brother tried to demonstrate a factory sample pistol he brought to the match. That little 9mm cost more than a cool grand at the time; and, the one Rohrbaugh tired to demonstrate at that match couldn't fire 10 consecutive rounds without jamming.

Rohrbaughs are a, 'crap shoot'. If you're lucky enough to get one that works, then, you've got yourself a sweet little 9mm BUG. Too many of them, however, do not work reliably; and, if the experience is typical of several reports posted over at GT, the factory is going to tell you (very nicely) to learn to live with it!

If you've got a thousand dollars to gamble with, sure, go for it. Me? I'd rather get something that I'm positive is going to work well - like a Walther PPK-S or SIG P232. The trade-off in caliber is worth the: increased reliability, proven reputation, and uncompromising factory service that Smith/Walther, and SIG Arms never fail to provide.

In my opinion, Rohrbaugh has a long way to go before I'd, flat-out, recommend one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links