My experience shooting with no sights...

This is a discussion on My experience shooting with no sights... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know you're eager to hear where I've been - WHAT! YOU HAVEN'T EVEN MISSED ME!!!! Anyway... For about a month, I've had what the ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Tangle
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 2 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By Guns and more

Thread: My experience shooting with no sights...

Senior Moderator

I know you're eager to hear where I've been - WHAT! YOU HAVEN'T EVEN MISSED ME!!!! Anyway...

For about a month, I've had what the doctor called a serious sinus infection. I've never had anything like this in my life - it pretty well wiped me out. Then one week after I get over that, my eye doctor tells me on Monday that I'm scheduled for LASEK surgery on the coming Friday. That put me out for a while too - a bit more about that in a minute.

First, realize this is more interesting than meaningful. It would be a mistake to conclude that if one could not see his sights, he could reliably use this method as a backup. Remember, this is not point shooting, it is sighted fire, sighting via the slide. Hence, if I were in a lighting condition where I could not see my sights, I would not be able to see well enough to align via the slide either.

So, what prompted me to do such a thing? Well here’s how this came about:

I did this one week after LASEK surgery. And ‘LASEK is correct; LASIK is quite a different procedure. Recovery from LASIK surgery is about a 3 days; recovery from LASEK is about 3 weeks – I’m one week into recovery and I can’t see well at all!

The 4th day after the surgery, I decided to try shooting. At this point, my right eye (my shooting eye) was out of focus and ‘glazed’. By glazed I mean it was like looking through a slightly fogged windshield. But, I have to know how well I can shoot, right? So I take off to the range with my Sig 226R Enhanced Elite SRT and a pair of nice goggles for ultimate eye protection.

I shot my standard eval drill (3, 5, 7, 10, & 15 yds) but reduced the round count for each range so I’d have some ‘spare’ rounds out of 50 to sight in a laser as another eval test.

Boy! I could hardly see my sights. Not only could I not get them in focus, I had a fogged eye lens to contend with as well. Still, there was this little blur of a front sight, almost like a hint of a sight and blurs of light on each side, so I had something. I did really well I though for those conditions – the results are/will be posted in another thread. That made me wonder how I would do if I couldn't see my sights at all.

I shot again two days later and got similar results, still wondering – if I couldn’t see my sights at all….

I had some TruGlos on my Sig 226R DAK that didn't work right, so I took them off and headed to the range. I didn’t like using a different action because engineers typically don’t like to change two things at once. I was removing the sights AND changing the trigger action. But out of convenience I broke the ‘…only change one thing at a time rule…”

This was a first for me - I've never shot without sights on a gun. I didn't do that badly, but there are some pertinent details we need to remember. One, I was shooting a perfectly white target (well with black scoring rings). Two, my right eye was blurred (out of focus), but clear, i.e. no longer fogged. I shot my standard drill but with 4 shots at each range instead of five. That again was to have some spare rounds after two eval drills. Here’s how it went:

Four shots at three & five yds - the pic says 4 more, but it's a combo of the 4 at 3 & 4 at 5 yds:

Oh - sorry about the large size - I forgot to resize them.

All shots out to 15 yds:

And, remember those 'spare' shots I was saving? Well they were for 10 shots at 5 yds:

Again – not sure this proves anything, but it is interesting what can be done with out of focus eyes and no sights.
    gasmitty likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post

Again not sure this proves anything, but it is interesting what can be done with out of focus eyes and no sights.
    I've done quite a bit of "out of focus" shooting due to presbyopia.

Your experience verifies the notion that if you practice shooting enough with any given gun then you will hit where you point and will point to where you want to hit irregardless of sight picture. This would tend to give me confidence in the event of an emergency situation.

On one of my Colt 1911s I've used a pitted slide that I've removed the sights on. after a bit of practice I got to hitting the sweet spot at about 7ft with either hand. They weren't the quarter sized groups I'm used to punching, but they were close enough together that the result would be the same. I've carried it once on awhile, and really liked that no-snag feeling. I'm giving some thought to removing the rear sight from my LW Commander, and spending some serious time at my range. I only shoot Colt 1911s so my grip is always the same. SD shooting isn't as demanding as bullseye.

I have been carrying this for some time and find that out to 15 yards I can keep all the shots within a 4 inch circle.
    No camara at this time.
    Kimber America | Ultra RCP II

VIP Member
    Tangle could prolly do this with his eyes closed. Speedy recovery for a healthy hot summer.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Tangle, once during a range qualification my front sight came off my Glock, and flew somewhere into the abyss. I opted to continue instead of coming back another day. I still had 40 rounds to fire, and going back to the 25 yard line, I finished with an 85.4 score. While my groups were not pretty, it showed me that day what could be done.

In a real situation this could happen, and I think it's a great lesson.
    Doghandler likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Point Shooting...don't need no stinkin' sights.
    los and DRM like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    I really wasn't point shooting. I was sighting carefully via the slide with as much care as I would have with sights.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I have a Seecamp.
    No sights.
    My first time shooting it was at an outdoor range where pistols were shot at fixed target stands at 50'.
    Way more than I wanted. I was shocked when all the shots fell in a paper plate sized area.
    From a 2" barrel!!!!
    Maybe we over think shooting some times.
    Doghandler likes this.

Sometimes it's just better to allow things to happen the way we want instead of making things happen the way we want. I post this picture quite a bit. It speaks volumes to me.

Kung-Fu-tv-series.jpg

los
    Tangle, I carry a AMT BackUp 45. Welcome to my World.

BTW, damn good shooting!

Click on the photo for the video..:
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Sponsored Links