Shooting well with poor eyesight – 4 days after LASEK…

This is a discussion on Shooting well with poor eyesight – 4 days after LASEK… within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, just a word about LASEK. LAS E K is correct – LAS I K is a completely different procedure. Recovery from LAS I K ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Tangle

Thread: Shooting well with poor eyesight – 4 days after LASEK…

Senior Moderator

Shooting well with poor eyesight – 4 days after LASEK…

First, just a word about LASEK. LASEK is correct – LASIK is a completely different procedure. Recovery from LASIK is about 3 days; recovery from LASEK is about 3 weeks. I’m 8 days into recovery now and can’t see worth a hoot. Soooo…..

I thought it would be interesting to see how well I could shoot under the current conditions. The ‘current’ conditions (4 days after surgery) is out of focus eyes and a fog/cloud in my right eye (my shooting eye of course).

As bad as I wanted to shoot my Kimber Super Carry Pro, I chose to shoot my Sig 226R Elite Enhanced SRT. The reason? I could put a laser on the rails and try that too. I didn’t have a laser I could use on the 1911.

I could hardly see the sights at all and few details on the target. I used a reversed B-27, i.e. a white target with black scoring rings. Even at 3 yds, I had a hard time seeing the X. A couple of times I had to drop the gun down, blink and squint to get my bearings a bit better.

I could see blurred ‘hints’ of the sights and at 5 yards and beyond, I could see no details on the target. I shot my standard eval drill of 5 shots each at 3, 5, 7, 10, & 15 yds. However, I did reduce the round count from 5 shots at each range to 4. That would leave me with 10 rounds for sighting in the laser for a second 20 shot eval using the laser.

Here’s the first eval with the sights. This is shows all 20 shots throughout the ranges:
    Pic

On to the laser. First, due to RK surgery many years ago, and now LASEK on top of that, and a 0 power contact on top of all that, here’s what I see from a laser. I checked – other people see a single, nice round green dot. Here is a pic that depicts what I see as close as I can get it; BTW, right now, 8 days after surgery, I see four full moons. Also the pic includes the first three shots shown at 9:00:

So, what do I aim with? Well, I used the middle of the horizontal line – not sure why, I guess I figured to ‘split the difference’.

So I mount the Viridian C5L green laser. I set the target at 7 yds and fired three shots to see where I was. You see that shot group in the above pic.

You won’t believe this, but I made one adjustment to the windage and got these three shots:

I then did my modified standard eval drill, i.e. 4 shots at 3, 5, 7, 10, & 15 yds and got this:

I so need to say a word about the shot placement. The laser was sighted in at 7 yds. If you move the target beyond 7 yds, the bullet impact will be low. You can see this effect at the 10 and 15 yd range. The effect is explained in this video – converged sighting, which is what I used starts at about the 3:00 mark in the vid. BTW, that really low shot was just me. Don’t know if I was tired, jerked the trigger or just couldn’t see well enough to do any better. Don’t forget – I can barely see the 3” dot at 15 yds:

Anyway, I think this does show that a laser sight is a viable solution for weak eyes.
    wdbailey and QKShooter like this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

I guess if you can identify a threat then you can whack him.Just off hand did you try any shots just point shooting out to 10 yards to see how you did without using any aiming devices
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links