LCR vs 340PD?

LCR vs 340PD?

This is a discussion on LCR vs 340PD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Trying to nail down a compact carry piece for my mother. Took her shooting and had her shoot my LCP, which she didn't find too ...

Thread: LCR vs 340PD?

Question LCR vs 340PD?

Trying to nail down a compact carry piece for my mother. Took her shooting and had her shoot my LCP, which she didn't find too offensive. She really doesn't trust autos or her ability to manipulate the slide, so I'm looking for a revolver. She was able to handle a LCR at the range shop and didn't like the feel of it. I kind of agree, with the 'fatness', or 'roundness' of the grip. I was just reading something about it being designed by ergonomics software... whatever. Any customization will, I'm sure, have to be done by me. I don't mind customizing my own firearms to my preferences but I doubt her explanation of her preferences will translate. I want to stay light and compact because I could see this quickly turning into something that never leaves the house... which doesn't fly as it is a legitimate and imminent security concern which I think has scared her into wanting to carry.

Wondering if you guys could provide any feedback on a 340PD. Maybe if someone can relate to my mother's feelings about the grips and lend an opinion on the smith. I'm not seeing any in stock around here and I don't want another revolver for my collection should I order one :)
    I'm also open to other suggestions. I like the fact that the 340PD is .357/.38SP as she already owns a GP100.
    Thanks!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

VIP Member
    I don't think you could find a better "house" gun than the GP100, if she can pull the trigger or thumb the hammer back. A trigger job on it might solve the issue. The light revos have decidedly more recoil. I really like my 11.4 oz 340PD no lock, but a 38 +p would be plenty in a much less expensive 642 for carry. I have heard the trigger on the LCR is easier to pull. Maybe better grips would help the LCP.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Owned both. Sold the smith. Love the lcr

LCR all the way. Ruger is not lying about the best trigger in its class

I have an LCR and it is a fine little revolver. There are different crisp options and I went with the Crimson Trace Laser grips. It works very well on the LCR, since the small J frame size revolvers can be tough to aim. The recoil felt is lower on the LCR and the trigger pull is about the best. It will take some practice to get fast with speed loaders since the ejection stroke is shorter in J frames and the cylinder to frame clearance is tight. J frames are great if you can hit the target and operate the speed loaders well.

Ultimately this is my mom, and I don't see being able to plead the case for speed loader proficiency. I'd like to solve that with more rounds but I'm not going to win the auto pistol argument either. But like I said, legitimate security concern, so I need to get her set up sooner than later. As for being able to handle whatever we end up with, she's been shooting since before I was conceived. I've handed her some pretty fun stuff to shoot and she shoots it, turns around makes a funny face, smiles, and turns back down range to finish the job :)

Anyone have any experience with the Hogue Bantam/Boot grips offered by Ruger?
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

I have a 340, with CT grips. Not a Ruger fan, please no flames. I buy a gun like I buy shoes. If it does not feel good, I move on. The 340 felt great in the hand, the trigger is a little heavy. That can be fixed. 357 will hurt your hand, but it isn't a range gun.

She has to like it because she will be depending on it.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found raped and dead in an alley, strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker took two to the chest.

What about the SP101, it may be a little heavy, it is well liked by many.

S+W has a 22mag revolver I think its a 951 model. I wanted one but kinda pricey for me so I got and LCR which I really like 38spec+p. I want to change the grip maybe a bootleg I really havn't started looking. I also have a sp-101 357 it's a little to heavy and large for good conceal . I'm 71 and can fire the 38 with no real problem. Carry in a Remora holster.

Rich

I run the lcr boot grip. It still doesn't hurt my hand shooting 357. The smith just sends all the recoil into your bones. The ruger does not. Go to an indoor range that rents firearms and let her try a few out. That's the only way you will get something that is right.

Links