Internal Lock?

Internal Lock?

This is a discussion on Internal Lock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hear a lot of "complaining" about the internal lock on new revolvers, can someone explain what it is and why it is so bad? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internal Lock?

Question Internal Lock?

I hear a lot of "complaining" about the internal lock on new revolvers, can someone explain what it is and why it is so bad?

Thanks -45
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Some of the newer and also some of the(simi)older revo's have a system that enables them to be locked so that the hammer cannot be cocked. My Taurus Rageing Bull .454 Casull has one.

It is a very small keyway that is just in back of the trigger spur. You insert a small round key and turn. A little plunger pops up and physically blocks the hammer from being cocked during single or double action use.

To me it has a PITA factor of 'bout 7. Reason....>just something else you gotta worry about. When I went to south Fla.hunting a while back,I had to make sure that I had my key with me. It is probably darn near impossible that the hammer could be accidently put into the "no cock" mode, but it is just one more thing that a person should not have to think about.

IMO it is a prime example of the gun manufacturers trying to make their products...IDIOT PROOF ! We all know,this is a impossibility. ---------

The lock is symbolic, more than practical

If you really want to lock a revolver, you can buy an ordinary padlock and lock it on the top strap of the frame so the cylinder won't close. The gun cannot be shot until you remove it. Alternatively, you can put the gun in a locked safe, which most of us have. And the locked safe provides some degree of theft protection, which the internal lock does not. So there is no pressing need from the consumer standpoint for an internal lock on a revolver, and most of the revolvers in circulation do not have this.

I believe the main objection is that the internal lock appears to be something that liberal legislators would like to push on gun owners. We suspect that once the internal lock is mandated on all new revolvers, the legislators would follow up with restrictions on the transfer of used revolvers not having a lock, thereby depreciating the value of older guns without a lock, and further restricting gun owner freedom. And we suspect that some gun companies, like S&W, are cooperating with liberal legislators by anticipating their wishes and putting on locks before they are mandated by law. After all, S&W sold us out once before, during the Clinton administration.

The whole thing smacks of "nanny state" and government or big companies "protecting" us from ourselves.

I almost didn't buy my 637 because of it just out of principle, but I really wanted the gun. It's a simple mechanism that I'll likely never address in any way so it's likely somewhat of a non-issue. I'd much rather not have it, but they do so I bought it.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Also, some complain the triggers on prelock model are smoother....
    This isn't an issue if a trigger job is performed....
    It does hurt resale though....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

The Guys have pretty much hit it yeah it kind of ruins the looks i personally never have had one act up i know you read a lot about it on the net but mine has held up in my 500 S&W and if it was gonna break ya would think it would in that beast

I've never had any issues with the internal lock on my S&W 340pd.
    I unlocked it when I bought and have never used the key since then.
    I'm not even sure where the key is now. I think I'll look for it, now that you guys brought it up.

Got one on my 638. Like everyone said it's kind of a pointless complication and most of us probably don't like pointless complications on our firearms. I could get my weapon out of a locked safe faster than I could find that blasted key and unlock the gun. The system can be removed if one is so inclined but will leave a hole in the side of the frame. These days if you buy new it seems we are left with little choice. It would be nice if it was only an option and not a requirment.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    I have that on two or three guns and resent it being there - just another mechanical item that could fail, however unlikely.

I do know of a 642 IIRC being dropped and that was enough to jar the lock mechanism.

I classify the locks as ''PITA PC" !!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Unique Lock?

Is the key to the lock unique to the gun or is it one key fits all (at least all from a particular manufacturer)? All I can think about is the stupid little key and lock on old & cheap luggage.

It's a poor solution to a nonexistant problem. The S&W Intrnal lock is poorly designed. The spring which actuates the lock, is curved, and in line with the recoil arc. I personally saw the scandium 44 model (329?) lock up after two rounds at the range. The RO and the owner, a lawyer I knew, had a time disassembling the revolver to get the other four rounds out. The NC DOC had incidents involving self actuating IL's. The concept of an IL, removes the main reason to purchase a revolver.... simplicity. S&W should give a choice to consumers, as Glock has done. Think about this, if the IL's are harmless, and such a good idea, how come LEO's are exempted from having them? S&W made the M&P 40 without the lock in order to sell it to LEO's. Why should the public be any different? Regards 18DAI.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    In defense of smith and wesson-
    1. they did not sell us out- their previous foreign owners did. not the current team, which is pro-gun. the lock is a reality to sell the guns in some jurisdictions. if you do not like it, do not use it.
    2. i have heard allegations of failures of the locks, including the NC case. I have so far been unable to verify them. SW denies any such cases. they say several guns have been returned to them for this problem, which they could not duplicate firing proof loads even. so they replaced the IL parts so they could appear to respond to the complaint.
    now, if someone has evidence besides "friend of a friend at the range" type stuff, that would indeed be important. is there such evidence??
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Why not two products?

Quote Originally Posted by chiefs-special-guy View Post
    the lock is a reality to sell the guns in some jurisdictions. if you do not like it, do not use it.
    I wonder why S&W doesn't produce 2 versions of their product - one with an internal lock and one without? It must be cheaper to produce a gun without the internal lock, as this would eliminate some machining on the frame and assembly of small parts. They could sell the gun without lock in areas where it is not required - over 90% of the US.

VIP Member

chiefs-special-guy...

I post the link below for your consideration only...I have no S&W firearms with internal locks, so I have no dog in this hunt. Please peruse and see if you think the information is worthwhile or not....

http://smith-wessonforum.com/groupee...04/m/228102718

Good luck, and good shooting!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links