Gun for Dangers in the Woods. - Page 2

Gun for Dangers in the Woods.

This is a discussion on Gun for Dangers in the Woods. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I forget the exact facts, but wasn't it a Texas official (governor?) that killed the attacking coyote with his Ruger LCP?...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Gun for Dangers in the Woods.

I forget the exact facts, but wasn't it a Texas official (governor?) that killed the attacking coyote with his Ruger LCP?

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I carry my 1911 with 8 rounds of 230 grain FMJ in the pistol and two mags on my belt - one with 230 grain JHP and the other with 8 rounds staggered (FMJ/JHP). I carried this in Florida, Colorado, New Mexico and now here in the land of Oz. We have bears, coyotes, mountain lion, feral dogs and feral two-legged, tree-hugging, pot growing maggots.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pkupmn98 View Post
    I forget the exact facts, but wasn't it a Texas official (governor?) that killed the attacking coyote with his Ruger LCP?
    It was a coyote that Rick Perry killed.

Coyotes are getting more and more abundant here. I feel like a hi-cap 9mm would be better than a 5 shot .357 for them, though I've never shot one. I've heard them at night while out in the woods, but haven't had to actually deal with them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledork View Post
    It was a coyote that Rick Perry killed.
    Yeah, it was an LCP with a CT laser. One shot (from the story I read).
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

44mag/ hard cast bullets (for me). Spring came early a lot of places and who knows where you could run into a young and confused black bear that happens to be losing it's fear of humans. I don't know how this applies to Michigan but else where coming up on an active grow site is the last thing I would want to do. Not going to be Jeffery Lebowski stumbling out of the woods in flip-flops... but rather a border jumper with an AK.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

I'd be inclined to go with a Glock 20 or 29 (10mm) and full power ammunition. The nice thing about the a semi-auto is you can carry both hard cast and bonded defense loads.

My understanding is DoubleTap Ammo makes good full power 10mm:

DoubleTap Ammunition

DoubleTap Ammunition

-john

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I think he is more concerned with stumbling upon it, at least that is the way I read the post. That happened to me and a friend when we were riding ATVs in WV a few years ago. It was kind of scary. Needless to say, I never went back.
    Never came across a pot field, but back in the day, while dirt-biking in the backwoods of N.C., we stumbled upon bootleg stills a few times. That was bad enough! Definitely did NOT want to run into a P.O.'d old bootlegger bent on protecting his still!

Regards,
    Jim

+1 for the Glock 20. Like the above poster mentioned make sure you get it with ammo loaded to full 10mm specs. I forgot the name right now but there is also another company that makes full loaded ammo for the 10mm. Most of the stuff you find in the store is loaded closer to 40 S&W specs.

I love the 357. For anything but brown bear, I would prefer it to even the 44. However, (again, not taking Grizzlies into account) I mainly carry a HK .357 Sig and would be open to carrying a 10mm as well.

All bets are off in Griz country. Hunting a Griz is one thing but stopping a charging Griz...totally another. I want a biggish-bore rifle or a shotgun with slugs. I am not going into Griz country with a revolver only. I'll keep a 454 as a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    Like the above poster mentioned make sure you get it with ammo loaded to full 10mm specs. I forgot the name right now but there is also another company that makes full loaded ammo for the 10mm.
    Buffalo Bore?

-john

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    If I can't carry a long gun when going into the woods, I carry this:

Or this:

with the 10mm barrel:
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Glock-21...lots of ammo in .45!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    When bowhunting or rifle/shotgun hunting, I will have my M&P9c.
    It will kill a 250-300lb. blackie, 100lb. cougar, coyotes if need be.
    May take several rounds for the black bear, but oh well.
    Don't know about your bears in MI. But here in Bruins country the bears are huge:
    Dating the opposite hockey team - YouTube

I have a 9mm for hiking. It's purpose is protection from humans; it's possible but highly unlikely I'd ever want or need to use it on an animal. In my opinion, humans are the biggest (living) danger in the woods. I have bear spray as well, but the bears around here run away. Anyway, I go into the woods to enjoy the animals, not shoot 'em. Obviously a rabid animal or overly aggressive critter is a possible target, though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links