Gun for Dangers in the Woods. - Page 3

Gun for Dangers in the Woods.

This is a discussion on Gun for Dangers in the Woods. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 35 remington Marlon....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Gun for Dangers in the Woods.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    35 remington Marlon.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I carry my G29 with 20+1 of my special 195-197Gr swaged blend pushing about 1165.... should do the trick

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Buffalo Bore?

-john
    That's the one I was thinking of. Buffalo Bore Ammunition | Strictly Big Bore - Strictly Business

Your avatar looks like it would work just fine
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I have a brother who just purchased a Ruger Alaskan 454 causal. I can assure you, thugs, bears, wolves, whatever comes along this is one firearm that will get the job done. We shot it the other day. It is manageable yet it's a hand cannon. Easy to holster on the front of you.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I have one (Ruger Alaskan) in 44 magnum. For his woods it should be enough. And its tame a ***** cat if you put 44 specials in it.

Either my S&W Model 66 or my M&P 40 (it was the M&P this weekend).
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I'd go the 10mm route if I were you

You get the capacity you are looking for and 10mm should get the job done against black bear and 2 legged threats.

As already mentioned get some hot buffalo boar rounds.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

I camped out in the woods in areas where there were lots of black bears, and some brown bears. When "eating" or storing food, it's critical to keep it away from any area you sleep and sealed well. When eating, they can smell that food a long way off.... and right next to me, I always had a 30-30 lever action sitting there loaded and ready to go .... good penetration.

In terms of handgun, I still carry a .357 ... with Bear Loads... 180 gr., but the 30-30 ... is still near by, or with me.

My Ex, was always uncomfortable about the bears, and when she asked me why I wasn't more concerned, I told her...... " I can run faster than you can".
    Badey likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    These are what I take for 10mm when its time to go hiking or camping.
    Heavy 10mm Pistol & Handgun Ammunition
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I camped out in the woods in areas where there were lots of black bears, and some brown bears. When "eating" or storing food, it's critical to keep it away from any area you sleep and sealed well. When eating, they can smell that food a long way off....
    Many years ago I went backpacking in Michigan's Lake of the Clouds park in the Upper Peninsulsa. I had been warned about bears in the area by the park ranger before entering the bush. The second day of my hike it rained pretty much all day. I had eatten a hot lunch but by the time I was ready to make an evening camp I didn't want to cook anything for fear of the smell lingering in the damp atmosphere. After making camp I hung my food bag between two trees, took a "shower" with a water bottle and climbed into my sleeping bag . Around midnight I was awakened by something sounded to me like the release of a bow string. Sitting bolt upright I could hear or sense something outside my tent. I didn't really know what to. I only had a 2.75" folder for camp chores and I was buck naked. The fear of a bear jumping on the tent and tangling me up inside was enough to prompt me to unzip the door and peer outside. It was a full moon and the place I had chosen to camp was on a high bend of a creek so there were no trees to obstruct the light of the moon. In fact it was pretty much like camping under a street light so I could see perfectly. There was a large bear about halfway up the trunk of one of the trees I had tied my food bag to and there was a little bitty bear running around my camp site. I didn't know what to do. I had always heard mother bears were bad news and I could only see the most recent cub. The ranger had warned me of a mother bear with two cubs: this year's and last year's. With two bears visable and one unaccounted for, naked and unarmed I did what any normal person would do: I meowed like a kitty. Lol. I didn't really want to scare the cub too bad so I guess I thought a strange noise would be just enough to scare him away. Rather than scare him, it peaked his curiosity and he came running straight at me! That was enough for me to jump up and start yelling at the top of my lungs. He veered into the undergrowth and when I turned back to the food tree the big bear was gone. Eventually my heart calmed down enough to crawl back in my bag but as soon as I drifted into an uneasy sleep they returned. This happened several times. In the morning I emerged from my tent and could "bearly" make out the shape of my food bag in the dim light of pre-dawn. I set about boiling water for the Giradelli hot chocolate I had stashed in my food bag as a treat. The smug fealing of victory quickly faded when I food bag would not drop from the tree. When I eventually got it down it had a slit in the bottom. That momma bear had picked me clean. I never found not so much as a wrapper of my food but as I trudged the muddy trail back to my truck I could clearly see three distinct sets of bear tracks preceding me. Apparently after hitting me they followed the trail to the next camp, and the next and so on. She was teaching her cubs the ropes of survival.

I have gone backbacking many times since. Almost every time I have chosen I place without bears.

Glock 20 10mm and don't look back. 15+ 1 at your disposal will ward off Michigan black bears.
    azchevy likes this.

Glock 20 10mm, because it's light weight, and holds 15 magnum performance rounds.

I would also use Double Tap ammo, as they are the company was started to produce full power 10mm loads when no one else did. They are the company responsible for keeping the 10mm alive. They deserve the support of 10mm shooters.
    Buffalo Bore is just jumping on the band wagon.
    azchevy likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Many years ago I went backpacking in Michigan's Lake of the Clouds park in the Upper Peninsulsa. I had been warned about bears in the area by the park ranger before entering the bush. The second day of my hike it rained pretty much all day. I had eatten a hot lunch but by the time I was ready to make an evening camp I didn't want to cook anything for fear of the smell lingering in the damp atmosphere. After making camp I hung my food bag between two trees, took a "shower" with a water bottle and climbed into my sleeping bag . Around midnight I was awakened by something sounded to me like the release of a bow string. Sitting bolt upright I could hear or sense something outside my tent. I didn't really know what to. I only had a 2.75" folder for camp chores and I was buck naked. The fear of a bear jumping on the tent and tangling me up inside was enough to prompt me to unzip the door and peer outside. It was a full moon and the place I had chosen to camp was on a high bend of a creek so there were no trees to obstruct the light of the moon. In fact it was pretty much like camping under a street light so I could see perfectly. There was a large bear about halfway up the trunk of one of the trees I had tied my food bag to and there was a little bitty bear running around my camp site. I didn't know what to do. I had always heard mother bears were bad news and I could only see the most recent cub. The ranger had warned me of a mother bear with two cubs: this year's and last year's. With two bears visable and one unaccounted for, naked and unarmed I did what any normal person would do: I meowed like a kitty. Lol. I didn't really want to scare the cub too bad so I guess I thought a strange noise would be just enough to scare him away. Rather than scare him, it peaked his curiosity and he came running straight at me! That was enough for me to jump up and start yelling at the top of my lungs. He veered into the undergrowth and when I turned back to the food tree the big bear was gone. Eventually my heart calmed down enough to crawl back in my bag but as soon as I drifted into an uneasy sleep they returned. This happened several times. In the morning I emerged from my tent and could "bearly" make out the shape of my food bag in the dim light of pre-dawn. I set about boiling water for the Giradelli hot chocolate I had stashed in my food bag as a treat. The smug fealing of victory quickly faded when I food bag would not drop from the tree. When I eventually got it down it had a slit in the bottom. That momma bear had picked me clean. I never found not so much as a wrapper of my food but as I trudged the muddy trail back to my truck I could clearly see three distinct sets of bear tracks preceding me. Apparently after hitting me they followed the trail to the next camp, and the next and so on. She was teaching her cubs the ropes of survival.

I have gone backbacking many times since. Almost every time I have chosen I place without bears.
    What a great story! The important thing is that both you and the bears were fine. We have to respect and understand them, then adjust our behavior so no one gets hurt. Shooting an animal should be an absolute last resort only. Enjoy the woods!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog44 View Post
    I have a brother who just purchased a Ruger Alaskan 454 causal. We shot it the other day.
    I had to do a triple take! The first time I read it I thought you said, "We shot each other..." I was wondering how you were able to type after that!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links