Gun for Dangers in the Woods.

This is a discussion on Gun for Dangers in the Woods. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been thinking about what I might need to protect myself from in the woods, I live in Michigan so the biggest four legged ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Gun for Dangers in the Woods.

I have been thinking about what I might need to protect myself from in the woods, I live in Michigan so the biggest four legged creature is a black bear which I have never seen in the woods. Next wood be dogs running loose so far no problem, a rabbit animal, then I realized the biggest threat might be someone protecting their illegal crop.

I use to go deer hunting with a revolver and usually only the 6 rounds in the gun, not anymore I would want at least 20 rounds. I don't hunt much but I do walk in the woods and am thinking more of a high capacity gun with extra magazines.

Pot growers get very territorial and in that situation I would want some firepower, yes I know a AR with extra magazines would be preferred, but I would have only a hand gun. Our world is really changing and personal protection is changing the way we live our lives.

So I would like some ideas on what caliber and platform you use for woods carry.

A big .357 or .44 revolver?

Lead Moderator
    For hiking and camping I carry my trusty HK USP full size in .40 cal. I have never had issues with animals and don't expect to either. While we do have a few bears locally they tend to be rather shy and are rarely seen. I carry more for two legged critter protection than for animals.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Glock 29 10mm with Pearce +O magazine base plates and a extra magazine, both loaded with full power ammo.
    ksblazer likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

We in PA are limited to what we can carry in the woods during hunting season. Semiautomatics are illegal to use for hunting, so carrying an AR15 or a Glock could get you a citation for poaching, and get your guns confiscated by Game Commission officers. Many hunters will carry a .357 as a defensive weapon while they hunt.

The off season gives a bit more leeway. When I go hiking or camping, I usually carry what I carry every day, anyway, which is a 1911. Like you, black bear is about the biggest predator we have here, and .45ACP will do the job, if necessary. The only other predators we have to worry about are coyotes, feral dogs, and people. Rabies is an issue here, as well. There's been a surge of rabies cases lately, mostly raccoons and fox.

I'm another fan of a full sized powerfull revolver. Just because one hasnt had a problem with animals, dont mean it cant happen. Black bears can range in size and power. The same revolver will work as well on people... I'd worry more about boobie traps than irate growers with gun's.

When hiking in our local preserve, or in the glades I carry a .357 revolver loaded with 5 heavy JSWC ammo the first shot is snake shot. Also a few speed loaders.

IMO the alternative in an autoloader would be a 10MM pistol.

unfortunately, i'm not sure there is a gun that matches both purposes. I would suggest OCing an AR pistol. Maybe a desert eagle .44 or .50, but they are not high-capacity.

I would not trust any 9mm, .40, or even .45 to stop any bear. .10 mm may be a viable option for what you want, but I would still either go for a magnum or the AR pistol.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I have been thinking about what I might need to protect myself from in the woods, I live in Michigan so the biggest four legged creature is a black bear which I have never seen in the woods. Next wood be dogs running loose so far no problem, a rabbit animal, then I realized the biggest threat might be someone protecting their illegal crop.

I use to go deer hunting with a revolver and usually only the 6 rounds in the gun, not anymore I would want at least 20 rounds. I don't hunt much but I do walk in the woods and am thinking more of a high capacity gun with extra magazines.

Pot growers get very territorial and in that situation I would want some firepower, yes I know a AR with extra magazines would be preferred, but I would have only a hand gun. Our world is really changing and personal protection is changing the way we live our lives.

So I would like some ideas on what caliber and platform you use for woods carry.
    I OC with a Taurus 44 mag. For bears and 4 legged critters. Out of curiosity: do you know where they are growingg pot and if you are concerned why do you hike there?
    And regardless, you honestly feel the need to get into a firefight by yourself with unknown amount of pot heads? I would re think your route while hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I OC with a Taurus 44 mag. For bears and 4 legged critters. Out of curiosity: do you know where they are growingg pot and if you are concerned why do you hike there?
    And regardless, you honestly feel the need to get into a firefight by yourself with unknown amount of pot heads? I would re think your route while hiking.
    How good do you think a bunch of potheads would be in a gunfight? Would they even be motivated enough to shoot?
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I think he is more concerned with stumbling upon it, at least that is the way I read the post. That happened to me and a friend when we were riding ATVs in WV a few years ago. It was kind of scary. Needless to say, I never went back.
    Last edited by Badey; April 8th, 2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: clarity
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

when I fly down to Texas to hunt pigs w/ my dad I just use his guns rather than hassle bringing my own. the sidearm I usually pick is a S&W Performance Cntr model 327. an 8 shot 357 magnum. quite a light show when you pull the trigger but very accurate and a sweet trigger. nothing has gotten past the 35 Remington yet but I feel pretty good about my borrowed backup. dad brings a G20.

I've always felt pretty comfortable with my 3" stainless Ruger Speed Six .357 mag in the woods.

For a hi-capacity platform, G-19 or M&P 9 with 147 gr. +P would probably handle most encounters. I would think it would be fine for discouraging even black bears.

But if you want to go for a stiffer punch and still have a higher capacity than a revolver, go with 10mm.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My experience has been if you stick to the well established trails, you shouldn't have any trouble with "farmer".

As for the four legged bad guys, my .357 mag has always been my woods gun.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I also bought a 3" .357 for the woods. For a long time I just carried 9mm, but this place sort of talked me into bringing more gun.

I like the revolver, but being more worried about rabies and crazies I'm still tempted to just stay with the 9mm. I've never run into anything more dangerous than rattlesnakes, and those I just go around. Still, you never know.

VIP Member
    When bowhunting or rifle/shotgun hunting, I will have my M&P9c.
    It will kill a 250-300lb. blackie, 100lb. cougar, coyotes if need be.
    May take several rounds for the black bear, but oh well.
    Wife just talked to a co-worker at the hospital she works @ in St Clair co., and her son in law was bowhunting last year by her house, no cell phone, didn't go back home. She goes out, sees his car parked, starts hollering. ends up he was coming out of the woods and was approached by a pack of coyotes. He scrambled back up into the tree stand and was cornered.
    Me, w/o my pistol, I'd have started picking them off 1x1, wondered why he didn't.

Just this week, an older patient was in the hospital for nasty animal bites to her legs/etc,
    Apparently she is from Albania and speaks no English. her Daughter says she was out for a walk in their woods on their property, and was attacked by what she described as a "dog". Everyone who saw the wounds said they were nasty as H.E. Double Hockey Sticks.
    Wife finds out the lady lives on the same street as we do, 3 miles S.
    Lesson learned.,,,,,,,Make like a Boy Scout,,Always be prepared!!!!!
    I think in Mi. any of the SD calibers from 9mm up will suffice, but am beginning to wonder if I might be better served getting an inexpensive shoulder holster for my 6 in.DW 15-2 VH
    Secret Spuk and Harryball like this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links