The Kimber Super Carry Pro HD: review, pics and points...Significant UPDATE in OP

The Kimber Super Carry Pro HD: review, pics and points...Significant UPDATE in OP

This is a discussion on The Kimber Super Carry Pro HD: review, pics and points...Significant UPDATE in OP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About a month ago I saw a Kimber Super Carry Pro HD in my LGS's display. I already had it's big brother, the Super Carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The Kimber Super Carry Pro HD: review, pics and points...Significant UPDATE in OP

Senior Moderator

About a month ago I saw a Kimber Super Carry Pro HD in my LGS's display. I already had it's big brother, the Super Carry Custom (5" bbl) and kinda liked the rounded butt. This is essentially the same gun with a 4" bbl.

So I go home and see if there's anything I can trade, welp there was, so I did.

The Super Carrys are purportedly built by the Custom Shop and in fact have "Custom Shop" engraved on the left side of the slide. I'm sure that's an elitist feature along with the other ego massaging goodies, like the fancy patterning on the top of the slide:

And on the front strap:

And on the back strap and also notice the rounded butt:

UPDATE:
    This is important enough to add. Notice in the two pics below the sight profile:

That is the correct tactical profile. I have NEVER understood the Novak sight profile and I'm glad to see that at least one manufacturer agrees with me. The purported reason for the slanted sight (the extolled Novak) profile is that it won't catch on clothing. How is the front of the sight going to catch on clothing. And what do we give up for that fear? We give up the ability to rack the slide with one hand using the rear sight against the belt or holster. I realize and have been trained with other methods, but none are as sure and fast as hooking the rear sight on something and pushing. I am very pleased to see that Kimber has put a tactical, i.e. fighting sight on at least their top end guns. I don't know why they don't use the same sights on all their guns, well all with night sights at least.

end of UPDATE

Pros and cons:
    Pros:
    I love the gun.
    I love the patterns
    Love the grips
    Love the KimPro Tac mags - they look to be as well built as any I've seen
    I love the way it shoots
    Absolutely zero stoppages of any kind, but I've only had it long enough to put 350 rounds through it.
    I love Kimber - of my five Kimbers, I have yet to have a stoppage of any kind and now we're talkin' 3100 rounds

cons:
    It's a good thing I like the look of the patterns, because they don't do anything functional. I know, it looks like you'd get a super grip but you don't, it's just too slick

The rounded butt needs checkering, or some kind of pattern; it would add grip purchase

And a druther: the trigger breaks at 4 lbs 15 oz according to my 5 pull average on my Lyman Digital Trigger Pull Scale. I'd druther it be close to 4 lbs; I guess I have a little tweaking to do.

Shooting:
    I shot this the day before I had LASEK surgery. This is my standard eval drill:

Then I went to my eye doctor and they did another eye refraction and we liked to have never got a stable measurement. But, based on the latest refraction, they adjusted my contacts a bit. So, off I go back to the range for an eye test. Here's what I found:

Not quite as good! Well that settled it, I would go back to the previous set of contacts and that is what they'd burn in. Then they did one more refraction and my distant vision improved significantly and I couldn't tell that it would hurt my sighting focus so I did agree to that setting and that's what was lasered into my eyes.

Now if my eyes would heal - gonna be another 2 weeks at least, I'll see how it all comes out. Anyway in summary,

I love the Super Carry Pro HD. The HD, BTW, stands for heavy duty, meaning steel frame. so it is heavy, like any other all steel 1911. I can take or leave the founded butt; I think I slightly prefer the more tradition butt, but it's not a big deal and I do find an advantage to the rounded butt when drawing the gun.

The 'checkering patterns' are pretty much for elitism - for the most part they don't help with the grip, but I would say the the pattern on top of the slide would be quite effective in reducing any glare that might cause a problem.

It comes with night sights and they work well.

Kimber is working on the Pro's big brother. It shot reliably, but two inches high at 10 yards. Plus, the thumb safety put a scratch on the finish and they're going to fix that too. The customer service was awsome - they didn't even hesitate to send me a shipping label to mail it to them and they apologized for the inconvenience and assured me they would make it right.
    SoftailGirl, gunthorp and Bad Bob like this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Thanks, I like that model because of the steel frame. I have the Super Ultra carry but it has the alloy frame.

Thanks for the report. I have been considering the Super Carry Ultra (non-HD) on my "short list" of possible new additions to my collection. I have been wondering about the styalized "checkering" on the grip. I'll have to put one in my hands and see how it feels. Thanks again!
    Cheers!

Joe
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

Beautiful gun! How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? PM if you don't wanna post .

Nice Kimber, they are super shooters with a greaaaaaaaaat trigger.
    Enjoy your new firearm!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nice review. I have the Super Carry Custom and it is one of my favorite guns. 100% reliable also.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    beuatiful gun I too have a kimber, not with the same results, had a few FTF but it's always been in a non-kimber mag..
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

nice gun and groups.
    Proud IDPA Member

"Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid." ― John Wayne

"Necessity of action takes away the fear of the act, and makes bold resolution the favorite of fortune." -Francis Quarles

OD*
    Danged nice shootin' Tangle!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Thumbs up Beautiful 1911

I scoured every gun shop in town for one of these, and was almost about to give up as no one seemed to have one, and I was told the waiting period for Kimber special orders is around 9 months. I happened to stop at one last shop I had overlooked, and saw they had the Ultra version in the display case and started to feel disappointed. Then, in the shadows just behind the Ultra, my eye caught sight of it! The Holy Grail, the Super Carry Pro HD 4" in the black with blue G10 bobtail grips, just like yours. My heart skipped a beat, and I called to the shop owner across the store, "I want this Kimber Super Carry!!" I am now a happy girl. I have 6 1911's, including one other Kimber, the Ultra CDP. This is truly a beautiful 1911, I just love everything about it, except maybe the plain black solid trigger, but I will install a kewl looking skeletonized trigger I have on the way. 1911's are my favorite guns, and I have customized more than one, and am very experienced in total disassembly and fitting parts. The asthetics of this gun are very pleasing, I just love all the neat serrations and markings. Yes, it's a bit on the heavy side, as my S&W 1911SC "E" Series Commander weighs in at around 30 oz., but it's still very manageable. It was pricey, just over $1400, but totally worth it to me to have my dream 1911.

Beautiful gun! Hope your eyes heal and you can see like an eagle.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Sweet shooter. Here's my Raptor II

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341277589.828162.jpg

P95
    Nice rig....thanks for sharing.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftailGirl View Post
    [COLOR="#800080"]...This is truly a beautiful 1911, I just love everything about it, except maybe the plain black solid trigger, but I will install a kewl looking skeletonized trigger I have on the way...The asthetics of this gun are very pleasing, I just love all the neat serrations and markings.
    First, CONGRATS! Then, I completely agree with all that!

...Yes, it's a bit on the heavy side...It was pricey, just over $1400, but totally worth it to me to have my dream 1911.
    Well, it's not heavy for an all steel 1911. A lot of people won't have anything less than an all steel 1911, but yes, they are heavy compared to some other guns. But the weight reduces recoil better too.

I also have it's big brother, the Super Carry Custom HD. I have a Kramer Vertical Scabbard - don't know why he calls it a scabbord - it's just a holster, for my Pro and like it so well I have a Vertical Scabbard on order for the Super Carry Custom.

Oh, since someone mentioned my eyes, they are healed. No more drops, no more 'band-aid, zero prescription contact lens, and I CAN see. The doctor seems to think my vision is still going to improve some.

I shot this yesterday with a Ruger Mk III. A 3/4" dot at 21'. My last 10 rounds of 100. For the first 90 rounds I was having to do a windage hold because the screwdriver I had with me turned out to be too small. The guy in the lane beside me had a screwdriver that fit perfectly and I got to shoot these last 10 with a 6:00 sight picture. This is off-hand, iron sights. I missed 3, so I've still got some work to do.
    Attached Images
    gunthorp and Bad Bob like this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    totally worth it to me to have my dream 1911.
    Welcome to the forum!

Tangle, nice shooting. I sell 2 Pro Tac mags and Cor Bon DPX with every kimber
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links