The perfect pocket carry pistol - Page 2

The perfect pocket carry pistol

This is a discussion on The perfect pocket carry pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Man.......how light do you want to be on a "major" caliber pocket gun??? The Ruger LCR 38+p weighs 13.5oz unloaded......the S&W442 and S&W642 weigh in ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The perfect pocket carry pistol

Man.......how light do you want to be on a "major" caliber pocket gun??? The Ruger LCR 38+p weighs 13.5oz unloaded......the S&W442 and S&W642 weigh in at 15oz. Each carry 38+p which is a more effective round than 380. I don't get it........ At some point you reach a point of diminishing returns. As the handgun gets smaller and lighter it becomes even more difficult to shoot accurately and the recoil can become quite painful. Sure, I can shoot a small gun ok but stout recoil does not make for long practice sessions. I mostly carry 45acp pistols. But when I have to wear a tucked shirt I go to my Ruger LCR for pocket carry or my Glock 26. I've carried the Glock in my pocket (does well in Dockers and cargo shorts), and IWB (both tucked and untucked). At slightly over an inch in thickness the Glock conceals easily under a tucked shirt. Galco, High Noon, and others make perfectly functional tuckable holsters.

I really would want a minimum of 9 mm

The LCP is an attractive package, i didnt like the trigger, and feel a bit undergunned with a 380

The new SA XDS may be the answer, depending on the trigger
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

I've already got an LCP, LC9, SR9c and SP101 for carry. Though there are plenty of other guns I want, for CC I really only plan on adding one more, an LCR.
    RichB70 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    Man.......how light do you want to be on a "major" caliber pocket gun??? The Ruger LCR 38+p weighs 13.5oz unloaded......the S&W442 and S&W642 weigh in at 15oz. Each carry 38+p which is a more effective round than 380. I don't get it........ At some point you reach a point of diminishing returns. As the handgun gets smaller and lighter it becomes even more difficult to shoot accurately and the recoil can become quite painful. Sure, I can shoot a small gun ok but stout recoil does not make for long practice sessions. I mostly carry 45acp pistols. But when I have to wear a tucked shirt I go to my Ruger LCR for pocket carry or my Glock 26. I've carried the Glock in my pocket (does well in
    Dockers and cargo shorts), and IWB (both tucked and untucked). At slightly over an inch in thickness the Glock conceals easily under a tucked shirt. Galco, High Noon, and others make perfectly functional tuckable holsters.

I didnt say anything about the weight of the pistol.

I am looking for a shorter trigger and a reasonable size to fit the pocket

....Whenever I still can

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Sig P290, S&W 642, and Glock 27 are my pocket guns. I also carry them IWB in Remora holsters.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I like my Kahr CM9 the more I carry it, either in the pocket with a DeSantis or OWB with several different holsters.
    Kilowatt3 and zonker1986 like this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    Sig P290, S&W 642, and Glock 27 are my pocket guns. I also carry them IWB in Remora holsters.
    How is the trigger on the P290?

....Whenever I still can

My pocket carry is a S&W 360 in 357 magnum.

When I can afford a Rorbaugh ( The Products - R9 series | Rohrbaugh Firearms ) then that may change.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    My pocket carry is a S&W 360 in 357 magnum.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

SIG p238. That's my idea of a sweet pocket iron.
    Rhcmlc likes this.

I would suggest checking out more of the tuckable IWB holsters. There are a lot of options out there. Don't get stuck on thinking if a crossbreed holster doesn't work that nothing will. Just my humble 2 cents on the matter... Good luck!

S & W j frame in a nemesis pocket holster, concealable and enough stopping power in a small package.
    marcclarke and Rockymonster like this.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

I think the definition of pocket guns can be too wide. To me, a real pocket gun would be something closer to the size of a Seecamp and weigh 15oz or less. Not really something for IWB carry but pocket carry. Most likely means either a gun in .32 or .380. It's pretty difficult for manufacturers to defy the law of physics when trying to chamber a full size defense cartridge (9mm or up) in something small (Seecamp size) or light (such as the LCP at 9.5oz) to be reliable and durable.

Designing small semi-autos to handle 9mm pressures means relying a lot on recoil springs instead of mass since there is a lot less slide weight. Still has to be locked breech so some weight has to be retained and guns can't reach very light weights. All parts have to be made smaller with less functioning tolerances. I think functioning reliability becomes more delicate the smaller it goes.

I do use an airweight J-frame (M38) as it is light and reliable with good firepower (Speer 135gr GDHC +P). But it is still larger than carrying a Seecamp if I need something for deep concealment/low risk environment carry. An LCP .380 at 9.5oz is pretty attractive and overall smaller than a J-frame. If I didn't already have a Seecamp and J-frame, I'd consider an LCP for a "pocket" gun. Price is not bad too if for a non-EDC extra gun.

I think it actually isnt impossible as i see a few making pistols very close to the solution

The deminsions of the CM9 are right there

If the lc9 would have one or two less rounds to the stack, and a better trigger it would also be perfect for carry.

The extra magazine would be an extended mag which could be the extra rounds people need

I would gladly go with 5+1 if the height is 4 inch or less.

....Whenever I still can

I wonder when the Sig P938 comes out. Its 6+1 9mm and has a safety. Since its very similar in size to the P238 pocket carry is a breeze
    Rhcmlc likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links