The perfect pocket carry pistol

This is a discussion on The perfect pocket carry pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've carried j frames, ppk, p232, p238, pps, g36, and a couple more as pocket carry. These days the lcp is usually my choice. I ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The perfect pocket carry pistol

VIP Member
    I've carried j frames, ppk, p232, p238, pps, g36, and a couple more as pocket carry. These days the lcp is usually my choice. I still love my j frame but the lcp always seems to fit. It is the modern ppk in many ways.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JustinApple View Post
    Me and my wife both carry Sig P238's thats 7 shots, 7 bodies, unless we are together then it's 14 bodies. Is that wise? No. Possible? Absolutely! In reality two well placed center mass shots, assess the situation rapidly, if the threat remains then one carefully placed shot to the brain vault will do. "pocket carry" hum..
    Let me get this straight. You think that you will be dropping 7 bad guys with 7 well placed shots from a dinky .380, but if 2 to center mass don't work, have the bad guy hold still while you skillfully place one in the brain vault? I'm no math major, but something isn't adding up here.

You aren't going to be dropping 7 of anything with your little pistol, because real life isn't Call of Duty Zombie Edition. Humans, especially determined ones, are hard to kill. And strangely enough, they don't stand there and let you get perfect, calculated shot placement. There are numerous instances of people fighting on with several "well placed" hits from service caliber pistols. There are also instances of undetermined bad guys being stopped with just the sight of a drawn firearm. As it is impossible to know in advance when or how you might need a firearm, I tend towards a handgun that has more capacity, in a good service caliber, that is easier to handle under stress.

The image of you and your wife standing there with smoking P238s, with 14 bodies lying about in the food court of the mall, did give me a chuckle, so thank you for that. Background music was the "Mission Impossible" theme, and the P238s were Rainbow editions, in case you are wondering.

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I believe they can do it.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Sooooo.....are you going to pocket carry, or do the smart carry holster? If you are doing the smart carry, there are a number of guns that would work. Grip height would be less important.

The Shield is fine just like it is. I've never met anyone who wished for less ammo in a gunfight. It's a bit heavy for the pocket (24 ounces), but it will work if you dress for it. Fit the pocket to you gun, not your gun to the pocket.

If you want a nice striker fired gun the same size as a CM9, the Beretta Nano should fit the bill. It is 4.17" high, same as a
    baby Glock, but much slimmer.
    I will keep the kahr.

I was hoping the shield was the answer for the pocket.

I very much like my m&p 45 compact.

I wanted one type of trigger to stay consistent.

So.... I was disapointed the shield was one round taller.

I will probably later on still buy the shield and go with the smart carry....
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The S&W Centennial series is my idea of the perfect pocket pistol, and yes, revolvers are pistols; read Sam Colt's patent for revolving pistols. Some pants have pockets that may conceal much larger weapons, but all else being equal, nothing can be drawn from a wide range of pockets with less chance of a problem than the totally-concealed-hammer small-framed revolver. I have a old Model 40-dash-nuthin' and a Performance Center model based on the 642.

I will add my usual disclaimer that I do not like to use pocket carry for an only weapon, because various body positions can make drawing the weapon problematic, and I prefer to carry at the same 0300 position as much of the time as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    The S&W Centennial series is my idea of the perfect pocket pistol, and yes, revolvers are pistols; read Sam Colt's patent for revolving pistols. Some pants have pockets that may conceal much larger weapons, but all else being equal, nothing can be drawn from a wide range of pockets with less chance of a problem than the totally-concealed-hammer small-framed revolver. I have a old Model 40-dash-nuthin' and a Performance Center model based on the 642.

I will add my usual disclaimer that I do not like to use pocket carry for an only weapon, because various body positions can make drawing the weapon problematic, and I prefer to carry at the same 0300 position as much of the time as possible.
    Not any more. They are revolvers now. Sorry.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

no such thing as the perfect pocket gun. Until they can make an LCP sized 9mm, with the recoil of a .380 or lower, and a nice single action trigger like the shield or a 1911.

who knows, maybe someday they will come up with a new metal that is strong enough to handle 9mm pressures with thinner walls, and a casing that can handle a 9mm bullet and load in a .380 sized case, also meaning a powder powerful enough to provide more power with less powder... maybe someday

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links