The perfect pocket carry pistol

This is a discussion on The perfect pocket carry pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After seeing recent releases of new pistols for CCW, I think the gun manufacturers are getting closer. I think everyone would agree that when you ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The perfect pocket carry pistol

The perfect pocket carry pistol

After seeing recent releases of new pistols for CCW, I think the gun manufacturers are getting closer.

I think everyone would agree that when you dont have to tuck your shirt in, the options are many for
    IWB carry.

Rigs like Crossbreed allows a wide range of comfortable carry. I am happy with my M&P45C
    For IWB.

However, there are days that i have to dress up a bit and the shirt needs tucked in.

Bunching a shirt around a rig like a crossbreed doesnt work for me.

That leaves me pocket carry

I chose a CM9. Its the best of an imperfect lot....so far.

The only problem with the kahr is the long trigger pull and reset.

If i want to shoot quickly at multiple targets, the long reset slows me down.
    (double taps arent really double taps)

The choices are limited as the gun manufacturers always will try to put an extra
    Bullet or two in the mag, which increases the heigth of the pistol to over 4 inches, which to me is The most limiting factor for pocket carry.

A second extended mag, like M&P or SA is offering would give the firepower needed

So..... My wish list for a pocket carry

4 inch height or less.
    1 inch or less width
    If a safety is required, a SA style only
    A trigger that has a shorter break, and shorter reset.
    A trigger that is 5.5 to 6 lbs
    An extended mag available
    9mm or better

The SR9C, COULD have been this perfect pocket carry, with shorter mag,
    Better trigger, less safeties
    Thoughts?
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    This is why the J-frame is still one of the most popular handguns in the market.

It is extremely difficult to get the same performance from a full sized handgun and one that will fit in a pocket. Trade-offs are the only way. You want a trigger set at around 5-6 lbs? The lawyers insist on a manual safety. You don't want any manual safeties? The lawyers insist on a long, heavy DA trigger. You want a high capacity 9mm but it can only be so wide or so tall. You want reduced recoil but it can't weigh more than your wallet.

The manufacturers have made great strides in this direction, but people will always look at what is on the market and think of just one more "improvement".
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Ruger lcr all the way
    rickohio and RichB70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dean1818 View Post
    After seeing recent releases of new pistols for CCW, I think the gun manufacturers are getting closer.

4 inch height or less.
    1 inch or less width
    9mm or better
    Thoughts?
    I agree with you completely. I just bought a PM9 for the same reason. It isn't perfect, but it's as close as I can get. Having lived with a G26 for the past two years, I wish Glock would make a single stack like the PM9.

I'll stick with the 442

I've pocket carried the PM9 and a J frame, both are just a little big for discrete carry (IMO) and a little heavy.
    I "settled" (literally) for either the Kel-Tec P3AT or Ruger LCP 380 as my perfect pocket pistol.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

try a belly band you can carry in a dress shirt and pants with out the bunching
    marcclarke likes this.

VIP Member
    If the PM40/CM9 or 340PD are a tad too big, I pocket the Rohrbaugh R9. Since I prefer the Colt Defender/Kimber Ultra platform, I sometimes just blouse the shirt over the grip instead of tucking with the CTAC, MTAC, or CBST.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

S&W J-Frame, Ruger LCR.... Hard to beat.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean1818 View Post

I think everyone would agree that when you dont have to tuck your shirt in, the options are many for
    IWB carry.

Rigs like Crossbreed allows a wide range of comfortable carry. I am happy with my M&P45C
    For IWB.

However, there are days that i have to dress up a bit and the shirt needs tucked in.

Bunching a shirt around a rig like a crossbreed doesnt work for me.

If i want to shoot quickly at multiple targets, the long reset slows me down.
    (double taps arent really double taps)

The choices are limited as the gun manufacturers always will try to put an extra
    Bullet or two in the mag, which increases the heigth of the pistol to over 4 inches, which to me is The most limiting factor for pocket carry.

A second extended mag, like M&P or SA is offering would give the firepower needed

4 inch height or less.
    1 inch or less width
    9mm or better

The SR9C, COULD have been this perfect pocket carry, with shorter mag,
    Better trigger, less safeties
    Thoughts?
    About 5 yrs ago, I had a similar issue. I had a Kahr PM9, but feel it's basically a revolver-like trigger. I have a 442, but they aren't that small. Manufacturers are getting closer, though. The problem is getting all of the features in one gun: Light weight, good trigger (At least not a heavy pull with a short reset), fitting the dimensions ("Around" 5.5"Lx4"Hx<1"W), & preferably no external safety. I think if one is willing to go to a .380, there're some choices. For 9mm, these are ones that I've considered (But haven't bought, yet):

Diamondback: Is small, light, has the lighter trigger pull, relatively short reset, & no external safety. However, it seems the "bugs" need to be worked out.

Beretta Nano: Trigger isn't real light, but not bad. The gun might be a little heavy.

For the OP, the Solo's an issue because of the external safety & the Sig P290 is heavy for pocket carry. There are the Kel-Tec 9mms, but I'm not that familiar with them & what their triggers are like. If they're like my P32, then their triggers aren't going to be what you're looking for.

Oh, & I never did find the "ideal" pocket 9. I have a Taurus PT709, but it's not small. However, it has a good trigger (It's long, but light, so I carry it w/o the safety on in a holster, of course).

Good luck on what you find.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    perfection has been around for some time in the form of the 2" revolver. Colt Cobra through the j-frames.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

For me my search ended when I got my first J frame, but when I feel the need to go with a auto, I grab my CM9; either one of these two fill my "pocket carry" need. However, here lately I've used my Smartcarry holster pretty much everyday and it'll accommodate most any small to mid sized firearm.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I pocket carry almost every day. Depending on the size of the pocket, and the material of the pants, my options are:

Glock 26
    PM9
    LCP

I've found that judicious tailoring of the pocket allows me to carry a G26 where I otherwise thought it was not possible. Just making the pocket 1 inch deeper, and squaring off the bottom, made a huge difference. The G26 gives the OP exactly what he is looking for, with the exception of being just over an inch wide.

Assuming we are not talking about thin suit pants, consider taking a pair to the tailor, and see what you can come up with. I use a Desantis Superfly for my G26 - works pretty well.
    mhunter likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

It's not a pocket carry but I carry a G30SF in a Galco king Tuk IWB rig it's very comfortable. I tuck my shirt in and it doesn't print its very concealed. I also have a Bianchi IWB that's works well with the shirt tail out. I am going to be getting a Kahr CW45 so I will be looking for a holster for that soon.

Bogey sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are my pocket guns.

pocket-carry-guns.jpg

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links