Keltec PMR 30 for CCW?

This is a discussion on Keltec PMR 30 for CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking about getting the girlfriend a .380/32ACP, but she doesn't like the way the guns feel and look. She somehow became interested in a Kel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Keltec PMR 30 for CCW?

Keltec PMR 30 for CCW?

Thinking about getting the girlfriend a .380/32ACP, but she doesn't like the way the guns feel and look. She somehow became interested in a Kel Tec PMR30 when i told her i wanted one for kicks. 30 round per mag and i'm pretty damn sure the 22mag at close range will easily shred through even thick clothes. Problem is finding one...

She is can't handle any of my 9mm pistols. She's like 5'2" @ 115lbs. What's your take on 22mag for self defense? I know what the 22mag can do because i've use it for hunting small game. Humans are different.. Even for humans, if the BG doesn't die or take off after shooting 5-10 rounds center mass, the BG is not human.. lol!

2. Remove Ads

Good luck finding one.....unless you want to pay MSRP++++.

VIP Member
    I like the idea also, however rimfire rounds are unreliable too often for me to carry one as a SD weapon. When they came out with that pistol it passed through my mind also due to the 30 round mag but quickly dismissed it because it is rimfire but it would be better then nothing.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

It's a pretty darn big gun for ccw.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    It wouldn't be something I would be interested in for SD; rim fire ignition isn't as reliable as centerfire ammo, size of the firearm wouldn't be conducive to CC for a 115# female unless she really dressed around the gun, (something less likely to happen with typical woman's wardrobe than with a man's).
    I think there are much better choices out there for SD/CC, now for a range/hunting pistol it would be a blast.

If she likes it, try to find one at a range for her to try or if someone can let you borrow one. Everyone says that it is big, but it is actually not that big and it is pretty thin and light. Yes rim fire can be problemic but modern rounds are much better and if you can teach her how to clear a bad round and keep firing I say go for it !!! The BG will not know that she will be shooting a .22Mag all he will see is the muzzle and a flash if he gets shot. God Bless

I want one real bad but a rimfire in a semi-auto doesn't seem reliable enough for self-defense, in my opinion. I watched a N I'd check out North American Arms' selection of .22 mag revolvers. If you can sit through a 45 minute video, the Nutnfancy guys ran a PMR-30 through his course and gives a pretty good look at it; start it at 11:00. Hickok45 always gives great reviews, but if you're watching it thinking, "huh, it actually looks pretty thin," the dude is like seven feet tall.

Hornady actually offers a .22 mag in their Critical Defense line that is pushing over 1000 fps out of a 2" barrel, and they show a comparison with .380 in ballistic gel. There are a few other places that have write-ups on the suitability of it for carry. It basically boils down to this; regardless of what people say or claim about it, a gun she can easily carry and conceal and feels comfortable shooting is far, far better than the larger "more effective" caliber she doesn't want to carry or shoot. I'm buying one the second I get back to Nebraska, or I can get all my silly NC paperwork completed, whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    If she likes it, try to find one at a range for her to try or if someone can let you borrow one. Everyone says that it is big, but it is actually not that big and it is pretty thin and light. Yes rim fire can be problemic but modern rounds are much better and if you can teach her how to clear a bad round and keep firing I say go for it !!! The BG will not know that she will be shooting a .22Mag all he will see is the muzzle and a flash if he gets shot. God Bless
    It's definitely quicker to clear most stoppages and keep shooting with a 30 round magazine then to remove and reload the cylinder on an NAA. Good luck trying to find one anywhere though. My 3000 rounds of .22 mag is just sitting in my garage waiting for one.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Well... both Hornaday and Speer have .22 mag self-defense loads, but due to the rimfire caliber, if I were going to carry a .22 mag I would rather have a revolver.

The PMR-30 has two things against it- first, it's almost impossible to find one, and second, it's quite large for what it is.

But it also has two things going for it, first, it's very lightweight for how big it is, and second, 30 rounds is 30 rounds.
    Hakkaa päälle!

S&W makes a .38spl LadySmith for the smaller hands of a woman. No worry about clearing a FTF or FTE. Just pull the trigger. Kick is well manageable.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I have one for sale.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Every single one I have shot has had more jams then Smuckers!
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Remember that you'll be losing a LOT of velocity when shooting the 22 Mag in a pistol. According to Kel-Tec, in the 4.3" barrel PMR 30, the 22 Mag 40 gr bullet will only generate about 1230 fps, This muzzle velocity is a little faster than that of the 22 LR shot in a rifle.
    Myth Busting: .22 Magnum vs. 5.7x28mm | The Firearm Blog

Looks like there may be some problems using certain 22 Mag loads in the PMR 30.
    Kel-Tec PMR-30 Ammo Recommendations | The Firearm Blog

It would work perfectly

I CCW my PMR-30 and must say it is not for a small frame to hide. You must make sure you get the 2.0 version, (Non-Fluted barrel, .22 WMR stamped slide, and 2 adjustable screws for front post) If you don't get the 2.0 you will have bullets tumbling due to improper barrel design and feeding issues. All you have to do is send it to KelTec and they send it back with the fixed 2.0 parts, so no biggie anyway.

Pros of PMR-30 CCW:

- Weighs 1.2lbs loaded, which is incredibly light and awesome!
    - Extremely thin silhouette from top to bottom, therefore you can stick it to your side nice and tight.
    - Holds 30 rounds of the impressive .22 Magnum (WMR) and has terminal ballistics of that between a .32 and 9mm
    - Minimal recoil for fast follow up shots (you do have 29 more after the initial!)
    - The polymer used on version 2.0 is some of the best feeling plastic I have held, quality that of MagPul Polymers.

Cons:

- Almost entirely Polymer, which helps with weight but I imagine it could break with a hard drop or fall.
    - The .22WMR is a great round, but it is always going to just be an overpowered .22LR
    - MSRP these days is through the roof and the .22WMR ammo costs 2-3x as much as it used to.
    - Many say the rim-fire cartridge is "unreliable." This is true to a point, but the .22WMR is the best tested and quality controlled, I have never had a no-fire-dud .22WMR and have had plenty of centerfire "duds" that I can think of.
    - Magazines are a bit fussy to load and take some practice, make sure you slap the back of the mag about every 5rds to ensure proper seating and direction of rounds, to avoid ftf's.

DSCN6755-2.jpg
    5lima30ret likes this.

Well lets see -- 22mag CCI 40gr maxi-mag comes out of a 2" revolver at about 1100 FPS. Not exactly a blistering round.

a .32acp 60gr Cor-Bon comes out of a 2.75" barrel at 1015fps. I'd take that over a 22mag from a pistol

any 9mm comparison would be a joke.

given the above saying the 22mag falls between a .32 and a 9mm is laughable.

Additionally saying a polymer frame gun is subject to breakage is also funny -- glocks have been made this way for years with no issues.

If you seek a full sized pistol with a large capacity and low recoil the FN FiveseveN is the handgun you seek. 20 rounds of 5.7x28 greatly out performs the 22mag and is as respectable as any service caliber.

I know a guy that carries one. I wouldn't, but I know a guy that does. That's a pretty big gun for what you described to be a very small lady. Small frames don't hide big frames well. My sister carries a Walther PK380. Although .380 has it's place, I don't personally think it's in a gun that size. But recoil is supposedly almost non-existent, and I'd rather have a .380 than a .22 Mag. JMO
    Something witty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links