s&w M&P shield 9 awesome

This is a discussion on s&w M&P shield 9 awesome within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My local gun shop opened at 10:00 am today with 4 in stock. I called at 10:20 and told them to reserve one for me. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: s&w M&P shield 9 awesome

My local gun shop opened at 10:00 am today with 4 in stock. I called at 10:20 and told them to reserve one for me. At 11:30 am, when I went to pick mine up, all but 1 was gone. These things are going to sell quickly.

This early in the game, if you want one and find one, put it in layaway if you need to wait until payday. There's a good chance it won't be there if you wait.

I missed a Ruger 1911 by 1 minute at my local gun shop about a week ago. The owner just put it in the case, and the guy next to me grabbed it. I don't even need a 1911, but it was $599 brand new, so it would have been mine if I had been there a minute sooner.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

2. Remove Ads

i really dont understand the hype for the shield...i understand that slimmer is better, for some people, but i found the regular m&p9c is small as i would need...and it holds 12 rounds...slim is cool and all but 7 rounds dont quite do it for me...
    Philly Boy likes this.

I've been strongly considering an lc9 but think I will wait and see the reports on this...looks promising!

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I've owned the LCP

and LC9(Ick!)

as well as the M&P 9C..

and a 357 SIG Compact.

The SHIELD looks to be a combination of all those guns that will work as well as a M&P Compact, or
    even baby Glock.

By all accounts so far on the net.

The SHIELD is slim, light and very reliable.

CZ or Glock should be making the same in a true micro 9mm/40/357
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

My LGS (Battlefield Guns in Chesapeake, VA) is selling them for $440, none in stock. They sold the last one when I was there yesterday. I got to look it over as the guy was buying it. It has a better trigger than the M&P, but the thumb safety is so bad that I would leave it off or remove it if possible. There isn't enough of the thumb safety protruding to reliably disengage it. The LC9 has just enough thumb safety to make it useable if desired. The Shield has less of a thumb safety than the LC9.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

As much as I want to go out and buy one....(I own a M&P40 and love it) I want to wait and see if there are any issues on the first run of the gun. I'd hate to have one and not be able to carry it daily due to it being unreliable.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I am guessing that all the available S&W Shields went to Ohio. Certainly there were none in Minnesota. >.<
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I am guessing that all the available S&W Shields went to Ohio. Certainly there were none in Minnesota. >.<
    I live in Ohio, Cincinnati area. I found 4 shops that got them in locally. All 4 sold out within 1 hour. My closest LGS had 3 of them in, and he held one for me (called the day before he even got them). I picked mine up yesterday for $389.... just did all the teardown and cleaning of it, haven't taken to the range yet (that will be today's task).

So far Ohio seems to get a lot of the new releases quick.

Impact guns has them for $399 but they are sold out at this time.

Smith & Wesson M&P SHIELD, 9mm, Compact - Impact Guns
    ~America~ Born July 4th,1776- Died, Election Day 2008

I took mine to the range for the first time last night. Put 250 thru her. She did fantastic. Even more controllable than my Ruger SR9c which I have total control over. I was very surprised that it was so manageable in such a small package. It did shoot "slightly" off to the left but with a quick sight adjustment it's dead on every shot now. I worked out the entire center of the target with 2 magazines (15 shots).

I'd also like to note I was shooting from 7 yards... to me anything further than that becomes a little risky to actually fire upon (and probably not a life threat)... even 21 feet out is a decent amount. I did some rapid fires as well from 5 yards out, emptied both magazines as quickly as I could... about a 6" spread on target. Again, I'm very surprised and extremely excited to add this to my lineup.

Nek
    I saw three of them at a store last week and hesitated about a hour during a lunch break and they were snatched up by the time I got back and ready to purchase. So today I called another LGS and found that they had only one and it had been on hold for some bozo since 4 days ago and he hadnt come in to put money down on it. Therefore they sold it to me immediately and for a lower price than many advertised online deals.
    My only complaint about it is the crummy safety, its too stiff and hard to find under stress. I called Smith & Wesson on this and asked if they are going to release another variant that didnt have the safety and he flat out told me NO. Apparently their legal team and or upper management felt this was safer (for them).
    I'm betting Apex will come out with some mod to make the safety nicer, and if they dont, there is always JB weld. :-)

I need to take a look at one of these. I'll have to wait a while though, I'm poor at the moment and can't afford to be tempted. It looks like the perfect summer carry gun.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nek View Post
    I saw three of them at a store last week and hesitated about a hour during a lunch break and they were snatched up by the time I got back and ready to purchase. So today I called another LGS and found that they had only one and it had been on hold for some bozo since 4 days ago and he hadnt come in to put money down on it. Therefore they sold it to me immediately and for a lower price than many advertised online deals.
    My only complaint about it is the crummy safety, its too stiff and hard to find under stress. I called Smith & Wesson on this and asked if they are going to release another variant that didnt have the safety and he flat out told me NO. Apparently their legal team and or upper management felt this was safer (for them).
    I'm betting Apex will come out with some mod to make the safety nicer, and if they dont, there is always JB weld. :-)
    At first I thought the safety was a dealbreaker for me, but then I realized that the same thing that makes it hard to flip off will make it hard to accidentally flip on, and I would just carry it safety off all the time.
    accessbob likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links