M&P 9 Shield vs. Kel-Tec PF9

This is a discussion on M&P 9 Shield vs. Kel-Tec PF9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought myself an M&P 9 Shield today. Picked it up for $389 at the local gun shop. First impressions.....this gun ain't light. At least, compared ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: M&P 9 Shield vs. Kel-Tec PF9

Bought myself an M&P 9 Shield today. Picked it up for $389 at the local gun shop.

First impressions.....this gun ain't light. At least, compared to my other small single stack 9, the Kel-Tec PF9. The Shield weighs more empty than my PF9 does fully loaded with 7+1.

SAM_0062.JPGSAM_0063.JPG

PF9 - 18.1 oz loaded
    Shield - 24 oz loaded (7+1)

Still, 24 ounces is not exactly a brick. The Shield sure does have a more substantial feel than the PF9. It feels the same in materials and quality as the standard M&P 9 and 9c.

The height, width and overall size of the PF9 and Shield are really similar.

SAM_0050.JPGSAM_0051.JPGSAM_0056.JPGSAM_0057.JPG
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

The Shield magazine was a surprise to me. Now, tell me that don't look like a throwback to the old S&W 3rd generation semiauto mags!

SAM_0064.JPG

A few more comparison pics:

SAM_0055.JPGSAM_0058.JPGSAM_0060.JPG

I shot the Shield today, running 50 rounds of Federal Champion 115 grain, 50 rounds of Gold Dot 115 grain JHP and Federal 9BPLE 115 grain +P+ through it. It performed flawlessly, and handled the +P+ really well.
    Slow fire was one ragged hole at 5 yards, easy minute of bad guy accuracy during rapid fire.

The safety, which I would just ignore when carrying, had positive clicks for both on and off. With my hand, I can see no way that it would be accidentally bumped, and it is textured in such a way that a sweep with the thumb deactivates it easily and positively, for those who have 1911 muscle memory.

The trigger was typical M&P to me, but did have an audible click reset. Not as good as a Glock, but not bad either. Certainly good enough for social work. The recoil was no problem at all, very controllable. That is one bonus of the 24 ounce heft.

I sometimes pocket carry the PF9, but I would not pocket carry the Shield, despite their similar size. The sloped rear of the slide make the PF9 much quicker out of a pocket, and it's certainly more comfortable to pocket an 18 ounce pistol, versus a 24 ounce pistol.

I see the Shield as the modern day replacement for the old classic S&W 3913 series. An excellent belt or IWB single stack carry 9, with a modern striker fired design. It weighs about the same as my steel J frame model 36 Chief's Special 38, but packs 8 or 9 rounds of 9mm +P.

However, the Shield better go on a diet if they come out with a .45 model. This is one of the heavier single stack poly 9mm models. The Glock 36 is only 27 ounces fully loaded with 6+1 rounds of 45 caliber 230 grain goodness.

Time will tell. For those who wanted a Glock single stack 9, this deserves a hard look.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Congrats on your new addtion! I just bought one tonight also. Wont pick it up till Monday

I didnt mind the weight felt just right compared to the Kel-tec PF-9
    I dry fired the M&P shield and the trigger pull is awsome compared to the PF9. I hated the trigger on the kel-tec.
    All said I think this will be one of my favorite guns.

the weight,dimensions and price point of the pf9 are hard to beat but build quality and craftsmanship easily goes to S&W..good review Vaquero and congrats on the new S&W shield...

Is the backstrap removable?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Is the backstrap removable?
    No.

yeah, I don't see the Shield replacing my PF-9 for pocket carry either. But you do have to appreciate the quality that is
    displayed in the M&P line....first rate. I'll have to hit a few gun stores here in Orlando tomorrow and see if any made it this far south. I do love Saturdays with a mission.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    the weight,dimensions and price point of the pf9 are hard to beat but build quality and craftsmanship easily goes to S&W..good review Vaquero and congrats on the new S&W shield...
    Also the looks........The M&P is butt ugly and the PF9,the original CCW single stack 9MM looks sexy......but I wont ever but a PF9,my experience with them was
    horrible and the gun is just not of quality - So I own a Kahr :)

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I see the "shield " as a smaller version of what m&p shooters know and like . But for the rest of us it is not as light , not as small and has been adorned with darn safety to have to fumble with. Does nothing that several KT and kahrs , berreta, sig and even rugers all ready do . I know I missed a few so feel free to fill them in.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    I see the "shield " as a smaller version of what m&p shooters know and like . But for the rest of us it is not as light , not as small and has been adorned with darn safety to have to fumble with. Does nothing that several KT and kahrs , berreta, sig and even rugers all ready do . I know I missed a few so feel free to fill them in.
    I just shot a shield this weekend and I don't care enough or have time to list all of the positives over those models you mention. You can't be everything to everyone. There are things I like about the shield more then each of the guns you listed as each of those models has a flaw in one way or another too.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Kel-Tec's are a great value, and I like my P3AT just fine, for its intended purpose. But comparing a PF-9 to a Shield is like comparing a Cobalt to a Monte Carlo.

Regards,
    Jim
    sixgun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    For me what it brings to the table is a small single stack 9mm with a proper striker fired trigger pull, not some long revolver-like pull. As far as I know other than the pps, and maybe kimber solo and the new sig 938 this is one of few small pistols with a full-size style trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Kel-Tec's are a great value, and I like my P3AT just fine, for its intended purpose. But comparing a PF-9 to a Shield is like comparing a Cobalt to a Monte Carlo.

Regards,
    Jim
    That's not quite fair. I don't think the quality of either the Kel-Tec or the Shield is bad enough to be compared to a Monte Carlo, or especially a Cobalt.

They are quite comparable in size, caliber and capacity, if not weight and trigger pull. The PF9 has been around quite a few years, and most gun buyers who have shopped single stack 9mm pistols have seen or handled one. Hence the comparison, for those who haven't seen a Shield in person yet.

BTW, you kinda made my point with your Cobalt vs. Monte Carlo comparison. Both are passenger cars, with about the same capacity, both run on gas, both are mediocre quality, and both serve pretty much the same purpose. The Monte Carlo is a bit heavier, and harder to park in tight parking garages. Oh, and there's no snob appeal for owning either one.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I want to try the Shield and see if I like it. I am still leaning towards a doublestack M&P.
    ironmike86 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    IMO, get the shield if you want a pocket carry gun, get the compact if you want something on your hip. Really didn't think that there would be much differences (size wise) until I got them side by side.

Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links