Do you carry a BUG? - Page 2

Do you carry a BUG?

This is a discussion on Do you carry a BUG? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Kel Tec .32 weak side back pocket in a holster I hade made locally. Wife does the same with a Seecamp .25, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Do you carry a BUG?

I carry a Kel Tec .32 weak side back pocket in a holster I hade made locally. Wife does the same with a Seecamp .25, although she occasionally carries it in her purse of the pants have pockets too small for the gun to fit.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmruger View Post
    I do not carry extra ammo or an extra gun. I do have a trunk gun in my car that I can get to if need to reload.

Just curious... What do you do if you can't make it to your car? Most gunfights don't allow for a "time out" while you go get more stuff.

Realizing that the odds are very high you may have to engage more than one person, do you use a gun with enough rounds to handle two or three assailants factored along with the number of complete misses you'll likely have?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yes, once and awhile, depending on where I'm headed. S&W Airweight.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I carry a SIG 229 on my belt because I might need it if something goes wrong.

I carry a SIG 238 in my pocket because I might need it if something goes wrong.
    Bark'n likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I carry a SIG 229 on my belt because I might need it if something goes wrong.

I carry a SIG 238 in my pocket because I might need it if something goes wrong.
    Well played Sir.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I pretty much carry a BUG 100% of the time since getting a Ruger LCP. It is so small and light weight, I can't find a reason not to carry a BUG.

Usually it is pocket carried in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Most frequently I carry it in my weak side front trouser pocket or my left back pocket where a wallet would go. If wearing a jacket/coat I'll usually go with an SP-101 snubby for a jacket pocket. The larger gun affords a better grip for faster extraction from coat pocket.

Another way I carry a BUG or also a primary weapon is with the Ultra Concealment Shoulder Holster. It's kind of like a belly band holster but worn higher up on the rib cage. For a woman, wear it just below the breasts and crisscross the shoulder straps in front between the breasts. It is extremely comfortable for extended wear and easily adjustable with just a few tugs. You can carry a full size pistol, a tiny .380 or anything in between. I've used it for large magnum revolvers, Glock-23, M&P 9 full size, XD9sc, SP-101 and my LCP.

Don't let the fact that the Ultra Concealment Shoulder Holster is worn beneath a shirt discourage you and think it's too slow of a draw. That's not the case. Sure it's slower than a belt mounted holster worn on the strong side, but I can draw and hit in under 2 seconds with it. If you are really interested in it, send me a PM and I'll go over specifics and tips for using that type of holster to it's maximum potential.

I am seriously considering getting the new M&P Shield as an alternate BUG over the LCP .380. But there is still always a place and use for that tiny gun, I'll never give it up completely.

Below are a couple pics of the Undercover Shoulder Holster to give you an idea how it works. Again, I've worn it on 18 & 20 hour days and don't even know I'm carrying a gun. I've worn out my first one and now using my second one.

Note: The gun does not stick out like that in the photo below. All the guns I listed above are held snug and tight against the body. And the retention strap is removable (velcro) so you do not need to use it. I have removed mine and never had a problem with retention.
    How well does that thing hide a gun (like M&P9c or smaller) under a normal t-shirt?
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    How well does that thing hide a gun (like M&P9c or smaller) under a normal t-shirt?
    Unless you're wearing something skin tight like UnderArmor, it's invisible. (They just recently started making them available in black, so if you wear white or light colored cover garments I would get the white one. I've only had the white rigs).

I wear it often with loose fitting T-Shirts and untucked polo shirts. You will lose a little speed having to reach under your shirt to make the draw.

For button up shirts, just leave one of the chest buttons, unbuttoned. Or make a fake button by permanently sewing the button on top and then keeping the shirt closed with a velcro tab. One of our forum members is a federal agent who wears a similar rig and he has modified his shirts with velcro tabs over the chest button.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

I carry a BUG on occasion, (Smith 442), if wearing a garment that would obstruct the draw of my primary such as a heavy winter coat I'll tuck the Smith in the offside coat pocket. Other times I carry it in the offside trouser pocket.

i dont like to change my wardrobe a whole lot, so by the time i account for my m&p, 2 mags, cell, keys, wallet, folding knife, and ka-bar tdi, i have a lotta crap (or so it seems to me). would like to look into an lcp though

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Unless you're wearing something skin tight like UnderArmor, it's invisible. (They just recently started making them available in black, so if you wear white or light colored cover garments I would get the white one. I've only had the white rigs).

I wear it often with loose fitting T-Shirts and untucked polo shirts. You will lose a little speed having to reach under your shirt to make the draw.

For button up shirts, just leave one of the chest buttons, unbuttoned. Or make a fake button by permanently sewing the button on top and then keeping the shirt closed with a velcro tab. One of our forum members is a federal agent who wears a similar rig and he has modified his shirts with velcro tabs over the chest button.
    I might have to pick this up. I have a belly band which I only wore once which really didn't do well for me. I feel better with the straps being over my shoulder.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Just curious... What do you do if you can't make it to your car? Most gunfights don't allow for a "time out" while you go get more stuff.

Realizing that the odds are very high you may have to engage more than one person, do you use a gun with enough rounds to handle two or three assailants factored along with the number of complete misses you'll likely have?
    Bark I just don't see evidence of concealed carry holders ever needing to reload or shooting more then 5 rounds. I am sure it has happened but I cannot find evidence of it. I am not trying to talk anyone into not carrying a backup mag I have chosen with the evidence I have looked at that the rounds in my gun will be sufficient to get me through almost any situation. Carrying is all about doing the math. If you have a 1:100,000 of needing to use deadly force your probably have a 1:10,000 chance of needing to reload once you do pull your gun. At that point I might be safer to just stay home, or wear a bulletproof vest. You get into a thing where the mathematics just don't add up.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmruger View Post
    Bark I just don't see evidence of concealed carry holders ever needing to reload or shooting more then 5 rounds. I am sure it has happened but I cannot find evidence of it. I am not trying to talk anyone into not carrying a backup mag I have chosen with the evidence I have looked at that the rounds in my gun will be sufficient to get me through almost any situation. Carrying is all about doing the math. If you have a 1:100,000 of needing to use deadly force your probably have a 1:10,000 chance of needing to reload once you do pull your gun. At that point I might be safer to just stay home, or wear a bulletproof vest. You get into a thing where the mathematics just don't add up.
    Evidence and stats are nice data points, but God also gave me the gift of discernment. I see bad guys traveling in two's or three's frequently. I carry enough in any one magazine to at least double-tap a group of three. If I'm shooting fast and in a panic, not all of those rounds may find their mark. Now consider a jam where you have to rip the mag out and start over, oops - you only have one magazine - time out?

Statistically, you'll never need your gun for self defense, and I pray that you never do. After all, we're just talking about gradients of preparedness here.
    Bark'n, Kadelic and 45ACP4ever like this.

One thing to be cautious of when considering a BUG... Make sure it doesn't become your main weapon out of laziness, which I am fully guilty of when I got my LCP. The little tiny 380s are so easy to carry you can truly forget your packing until something raises your awareness. For a while I began only carrying my LCP when I first bought it because it was so easy and I never had to dress around it, telling myself "okay I'm running late so JUST this one time...". Two weeks later my M&P is still sitting in the safe, angry at its owner for not giving her TLC. If I had to go back I don't know if I would buy it again, it's become my laziness crutch and instead of a BUG is a "running late no clean concealment garments gotta go" so grab and toss in a pocket holster gun. YMMV, I hope it does.
    Bark'n and tiwee like this.

I always carry two handguns. Glock 26 + PM9, or PM9 + LCP. Sometimes, 2 x LCP. My usual mode of carry in both front pockets. Sometimes, I use the Smartcarry for my primary. More rarely, I use an OWB holster.

OP - As a woman, concealing a secondary firearm is a challenge. Pockets (if your clothes even have them) are so small as to be useless most of the time. Since you state you carry two spare mags for your primary, I would suggest you carry a secondary in lieu of spare mags - if you are forced to choose. If you can carry both spare mags AND a secondary as a woman, then more power to you!

Good luck, and stay safe.
    Bark'n likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    I will sometimes carry a j frame on my ankle or a PPK, But my favorite BUG is the LC9 since it is 9MM same as my G-19 or 26. I often just carry the LC9 when dressing up and don't want the double stack. So the LC9 can double as a BUG or EDC.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links