Do you carry a BUG?

This is a discussion on Do you carry a BUG? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had under cover holster for couple years now, love it. I can cancel my full size 1911 or my 9000. This work well for ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Do you carry a BUG?

HCF
    I've had under cover holster for couple years now, love it. I can cancel my full size 1911 or my 9000. This work well for me being a bigger guy as well.
    Bark'n likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Well, I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought the new S&W M&P Shield!!!! It is so sleek and slim that it'll be very easy to carry it IWB on my weak side along with my extra mags (two for the primary and one for the Shield. Yesterday I went to my favorite gun shop/ firing range. They could only get 18 (and this is a BIG shop) and by the time I got there they only had TWO left! I guess they're going to be VERY popular! Anyway, as soon as I saw one in person I knew I had to have one and I absolutely LOVE it!!! Guess I'm all set now...as soon as I can find a good IWb holster!
    Bark'n likes this.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

Two Snubs, all day every day
    MisterAvis and SWIll like this.

Yep, most of the time. Either a LCR .38 with two speed strips or a Kahr CM9 with a spare 7rd mag.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Quote Originally Posted by dnilson View Post
    Well, I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought the new S&W M&P Shield!!!! It is so sleek and slim that it'll be very easy to carry it IWB on my weak side along with my extra mags (two for the primary and one for the Shield. Yesterday I went to my favorite gun shop/ firing range. They could only get 18 (and this is a BIG shop) and by the time I got there they only had TWO left! I guess they're going to be VERY popular! Anyway, as soon as I saw one in person I knew I had to have one and I absolutely LOVE it!!! Guess I'm all set now...as soon as I can find a good IWb holster!
    Hey, Congrats on the new Shield!

I just broke the news to my wife I'll be getting one soon. It went over better than I anticipated since I just bought a full size M&P 9 about 6 weeks ago. I explained that it needed a baby brother. She wasn't thrilled, but she didn't say no either.

I think you'll going to love the M&P Shield. My full size M&P is every bit as sweet, reliable and accurate as the Glock 23 I just sold.

The only reason I sold the Glock was because it was the only gun I had in .40 cal and I'm in the process of consolidating my weapons and limiting the number of different caliber guns I own.

Let us know how that baby shoots. Looking forward to a nice range report!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by John123 View Post
    One thing to be cautious of when considering a BUG... Make sure it doesn't become your main weapon out of laziness, which I am fully guilty of when I got my LCP. The little tiny 380s are so easy to carry you can truly forget your packing until something raises your awareness. For a while I began only carrying my LCP when I first bought it because it was so easy and I never had to dress around it, telling myself "okay I'm running late so JUST this one time...". Two weeks later my M&P is still sitting in the safe, angry at its owner for not giving her TLC. If I had to go back I don't know if I would buy it again, it's become my laziness crutch and instead of a BUG is a "running late no clean concealment garments gotta go" so grab and toss in a pocket holster gun. YMMV, I hope it does.
    I started carrying a "bug" years ago when working around the farm. I always have something substantial (45lc, 357mag, 12g, etc.) available around the farm. Carrying the larger guns is sometimes impossible while doing some jobs, thus the pocket gun to buy me time to get to something bigger. (yep, there's a story)
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Evidence and stats are nice data points, but God also gave me the gift of discernment. I see bad guys traveling in two's or three's frequently. I carry enough in any one magazine to at least double-tap a group of three. If I'm shooting fast and in a panic, not all of those rounds may find their mark. Now consider a jam where you have to rip the mag out and start over, oops - you only have one magazine - time out?

Statistically, you'll never need your gun for self defense, and I pray that you never do. After all, we're just talking about gradients of preparedness here.
    And every time you hear about a group of thugs causing problems and one of them being shot, the rest always run.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    And every time you hear about a group of thugs causing problems and one of them being shot, the rest always run.
    You gonna bet your life on that? I don't roll the dice like that with my life.

Ask any medic who's worked an urban city how many double and triple shootings they've run. I've run plenty. No, they don't always scatter and run away.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yes. Yes I am.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

This is another thought on a BUG. Last year I sprained my right wrist and could not use it for a week or 2. There was no way I could have used my 9m semi auto. Even though I can shoot left handed I did not have a left hand holster, could not load a magazine, or rack a slide. It made me think that I needed a BUG not as more fire power but as something to carry if I could not use my right hand and carry my regular. My solution was a revolver that I could use left handed and a left hand holster. It took awhile to be comfortable drawing from a left hand holster. Previous to that I had only practiced shooting left handed but not using a left hand holster. Whatever the reasoning, having options is good.

I have backup guns like a Kahr P380, but I have not carried on as a backup. I am not prepared to haul too much gear and I do not wear tactical clothing or gear.

If i could make it work, I might be willing. It can make a big difference as it has for many police officers.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
    I have backup guns like a Kahr P380, but I have not carried on as a backup. I am not prepared to haul too much gear and I do not wear tactical clothing or gear.

If i could make it work, I might be willing. It can make a big difference as it has for many police officers.
    Scottie, you don't need to wear tactical clothing to slip a Ruger LCP or a Kahr 380 into a pocket. I never wear pants with cargo pockets when I'm not at work. I wear jeans, shorts, Dockers, polo shirts and T-shirts.

I'm not sure which is smaller of the two, the Kahr or the LCP, but my LCP literally disappears in any pocket. It will almost, and I say almost fit in a shirt pocket on my polo shirt.

And the LCP carried in a Raven kydex neck holster worn under the armpit, attached a Mercharness (made out of "gutted" 550 para cord), it is literally invisible (worn under the shirt, of course).

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Hey, Congrats on the new Shield!

I just broke the news to my wife I'll be getting one soon. It went over better than I anticipated since I just bought a full size M&P 9 about 6 weeks ago. I explained that it needed a baby brother. She wasn't thrilled, but she didn't say no either.

I think you'll going to love the M&P Shield. My full size M&P is every bit as sweet, reliable and accurate as the Glock 23 I just sold.

The only reason I sold the Glock was because it was the only gun I had in .40 cal and I'm in the process of consolidating my weapons and limiting the number of different caliber guns I own.

Let us know how that baby shoots. Looking forward to a nice range report!
    Selling your Glock 23?!?!? Ouch...that must have hurt. That's what I just bought (Gen 4) as my new primary. Also, you make a good point. After thinking about it, I now have to buy, 9mm, .40 cal, .45 ACP and Long Colt, .38+P, 357 mag., .410 shells, .410 birdshot, 00 buckshot and birdshot. However, I mainly just buy 9mm, .40 cal. and .45 ACP since my Glock 23 and S&W M&P Shield are the ones I'll be carrying. I also practice a lot with the Glock 30SF as it's now my beside piece.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

Quote Originally Posted by dnilson View Post
    Selling your Glock 23?!?!? Ouch...that must have hurt.
    Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking... It also had some sentimental value as it was my duty weapon for 10 years as a sheriff's swat team medic. But being my only .40 cal I really didn't shoot it much anymore. I have too many .45's, 9mm, .357 mag, 38's and .380's to buy ammo for. Not to mention rifle and shotgun ammo.

Since I have several of each of those calibers and only one .40, I figured the Glock had to go for now.

But I'll likely end up with at least a G-19 & G-30 later on down the road.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

A victim's gun battle - South Africa | IOL News | IOL.co.za and the man was using an NAA mini magnum

Actual Shootout against armed killers. - THR

I use an NAA mini for a BUG frequently though I usually want something bigger if at all possible

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links