Do you carry a BUG?

This is a discussion on Do you carry a BUG? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering using a BUG, but none of my handguns is small enough for ankle carry and carrying in the small of the back seems ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Do you carry a BUG?

Do you carry a BUG?

I'm considering using a BUG, but none of my handguns is small enough for ankle carry and carrying in the small of the back seems uncomfortable. Since I'm a woman, I could carry in my purse. I'm considering a small 9mm like the new S&W Shield, a Glock 26 or a 9mm Berretta, but everyone I've asked has said I should carry a small revolver. Anyway, how many of you carry BUGs, what do you carry and where do you carry it? Also, my primary is a Glock 23 and I carry two extra mags, so I'm not sure I even need a BUG...just weighing the pros and cons and asking for advice. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by dnilson; April 17th, 2012 at 02:37 PM.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

2. Remove Ads

I do. I either carry my Sig P238 or S&W bodyguard as a backup. I pocket carry.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I pretty much carry a BUG 100% of the time since getting a Ruger LCP. It is so small and light weight, I can't find a reason not to carry a BUG.

Usually it is pocket carried in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Most frequently I carry it in my weak side front trouser pocket or my left back pocket where a wallet would go. If wearing a jacket/coat I'll usually go with an SP-101 snubby for a jacket pocket. The larger gun affords a better grip for faster extraction from coat pocket.

Another way I carry a BUG or also a primary weapon is with the Ultra Concealment Shoulder Holster. It's kind of like a belly band holster but worn higher up on the rib cage. For a woman, wear it just below the breasts and crisscross the shoulder straps in front between the breasts. It is extremely comfortable for extended wear and easily adjustable with just a few tugs. You can carry a full size pistol, a tiny .380 or anything in between. I've used it for large magnum revolvers, Glock-23, M&P 9 full size, XD9sc, SP-101 and my LCP.

Don't let the fact that the Ultra Concealment Shoulder Holster is worn beneath a shirt discourage you and think it's too slow of a draw. That's not the case. Sure it's slower than a belt mounted holster worn on the strong side, but I can draw and hit in under 2 seconds with it. If you are really interested in it, send me a PM and I'll go over specifics and tips for using that type of holster to it's maximum potential.

I am seriously considering getting the new M&P Shield as an alternate BUG over the LCP .380. But there is still always a place and use for that tiny gun, I'll never give it up completely.

Below are a couple pics of the Undercover Shoulder Holster to give you an idea how it works. Again, I've worn it on 18 & 20 hour days and don't even know I'm carrying a gun. I've worn out my first one and now using my second one.

Note: The gun does not stick out like that in the photo below. All the guns I listed above are held snug and tight against the body. And the retention strap is removable (velcro) so you do not need to use it. I have removed mine and never had a problem with retention.
    MisterAvis likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

One other rig I wear for the BUG is this set up from Raven Concealment. It is a modular rig worn on the weak side which carries my LCP (BUG) plus two magazines for my primary gun.

You'll wait 16 weeks or more for a holster from them, but it's worth the wait. I have two of their holsters including the rig below and I plan on getting something for my new M&P 9 full size.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I pocket carry my .380 on occasion as a bug but it's rare I feel like I need that much firepower.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Keltec PF-9 or Kahr CM9 in right front pants pocket.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

My wife carries a Ruger LCR .38Spl w/Crimson Trace Grips in a Custom Carry Purse as her BUG. Her EDC is a TCP .380 "appendix" on a Versa Carry.
    She wanted a no "BS BUG" incase the semi failed in anyway. It's been 3 years since she got her CHL and she's happy.
    Bark'n likes this.

VIP Member
    As Bark'n mentioned, carrying the LCP is so easy, that I struggle to find a reason not to carry it.

I used to carry a BUG because my job (real estate/property management) took me into some seriously dangerous places. Now, (honestly) I carry a BUG more out of habit...

If you're not sure if you need one, you probably don't?

A reliable firearm that you're experienced with, along with a spare mag or two (if applicable) should be quite sufficient for most folks.

Rollo, I don't see it as carrying or needing extra firepower.

My mindset is completely different regarding the BUG. I carry it so I can have access to another gun with my off hand should my dominant hand be injured or incapacitated. I also carry a BUG to have the ability to arm another good guy or person I'm with if a situation deems it necessary.

And finally, if I have a malfunction with my primary gun, it can be tactically easier and often times faster to go for the BUG rather than try and fix the problem with the primary gun. Especially if the primary gun is shot by the bad guy which is not an uncommon occurrence.

In times of stress, tunnel vision tends to focus and zone in on the actual physical threat, which is the gun the other guy is shooting. A bad guy not expecting me to respond to his attack with gunfire from my own gun is naturally going to be maximum stressed and panicked. It's not outside the realm of possibility to get shot in your hand that's holding the gun or the gun itself.

Just because I get shot in the hand or my gun breaks, I'm not giving up the fight. I'm not going to just lay down and give up. Of course if I don't have a spare gun to go to, then that may be my only option... But I don't like the odds of what will happen next.
    10thmtn, Mike1956 and DefConGun like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i carry a second gun......a secondary if you will...

it goes to how you think of something as for how you name it

a back up implies that you will, when confronted by a situation, respond with thoughts of "how can i handle this with my
    main ( or primary) gun.

as life comes at you from many directions, its possibly bettter for your continued health if you think with both hands.
    circumstances may be that whats on your weak side is what is already in position to be of use to you. FWIW

---range practice with carry guns is usually ended with one box of ammo:
    30 rounds strong hand only
    10 rounds both hands and
    10 rounds weak hand only
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

WHEC724, has a very valid point and likely true for most folks.

I choose to carry a BUG because of life's experiences dealing with violence on a very real and palpable level during a 30+ year career exposure to it on the streets. I've see & deal with violence first hand, and I intend to survive if I am ever targeted for attack or assault.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    Bark'n brings up good points. I carry the LCP in my right rear pocket as my "I'm getting mugged" gun. It allows you to reach for your "wallet" while the bad guy can't see your hand. It is very conceivable that I would reach for it first, over my primary.

I'm just very cautious in recommending carrying multiple firearms, as it tends to put a focus on tools over training.
    rammerjammer likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I carry another gun on me.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I do not carry extra ammo or an extra gun. I do have a trunk gun in my car that I can get to if need to reload.

I usually carry either my Kahr CM9 or Sig P238. Ill carry both if situation allows.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links