Thought I Was Buying a Glock 26 Gen4 - Page 2

Thought I Was Buying a Glock 26 Gen4

This is a discussion on Thought I Was Buying a Glock 26 Gen4 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rollo As far as I am concerned, Gen 3's are the pinnacle of glock goodness. They are like the AK-47 of pistols. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Thought I Was Buying a Glock 26 Gen4

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    As far as I am concerned, Gen 3's are the pinnacle of glock goodness. They are like the AK-47 of pistols. Yesterday I bought a NIB gen 3 G19 to go with my G26.
    As far as I am concerned Gen 3's were the pinnacle of Glock goodness, now that they got their act together I really do love the newer features of the Gen 4's. With regard to the original poster, frankly there is nothing wrong with a Gen 3 as they are great. Unless you like some of the new features I would not hesitate to keep it. I carry a Gen 3 G26 often.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

If the Gen 3 fits your hand alright it is a fine weapon. If you need the different backstraps that would be the only advantage to the Gen 4, and maybe the enlarged mag release button if you consider that an advantage.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    If the Gen 3 fits your hand alright it is a fine weapon. If you need the different backstraps that would be the only advantage to the Gen 4, and maybe the enlarged mag release button if you consider that an advantage.
    Some folks prefer the texture of the Gen 4's (I admit it grew on me) while other prefer the texture of Gen 3. 6 to one, one half dozen the other. Isn't that how it goes? LOL
    joker1 likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

The Gen 4's are great, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Gen 3's either. We have several Gen 3's and I love them all. I do like that the Gen4's come with an additional magazine though.
    http://www.gunmerchantaccount.com
    Firearms Dealer Merchant Services

Quote Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
    I really like the gen4 glocks, own a 19 and 34, but when it comes to the subcompact models, I like the gen3 better and wouldn't give up my gen3 26 for a gen4.
    How is the recoil on the Gen 3, 26 model? I'm considering a Gen 4, 26, for my BUG, but the recoil on the Gen 4, 23 is about the most I can accurately shoot (other than .45). Of course, we're talking about a 9mm vs a .40, which is like comparing apples and oranges. But I've never shot a 9mm. How is it, compared to a .40? Sorry for the obviously stupid question.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

Keep the Gen 3...
    DefConGun likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dnilson View Post
    How is the recoil on the Gen 3, 26 model? I'm considering a Gen 4, 26, for my BUG, but the recoil on the Gen 4, 23 is about the most I can accurately shoot (other than .45). Of course, we're talking about a 9mm vs a .40, which is like comparing apples and oranges. But I've never shot a 9mm. How is it, compared to a .40? Sorry for the obviously stupid question.
    The 26 is a good shooting pistol. It handles like a much larger pistol. It will have less felt recoil than your 23 in .40

keep the Gen 3, you're losing nothing to the Gen 4. I've had a Glock 26 in some shape or form since 1995, and have never had a hiccup of any kind.

Today this is my carry......3rd Gen Glock 26, Trijicon Night Sights, Glock factory 12 round mag with finger extension. Two Glock 19 mags as spares. I have a few pistols, but this is the one that follows me out to the car every morning. He just won't stay at home by himself.

NY27, AZJD1968, DefConGun and 1 others like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I'm not sure about 26 but on 19 it is the grip straps and recoil spring that separate it from gen 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would of looked for a gen 3 over the 4. Great gun I never had a problem with my 26.

The Gen3 G26 is a damn fine CCW. I have one in OD. I had been shooting my 17 and 19 a lot lately, so I took the 26 for a run today. I looooove shooting this gun. She's surgical out to 15 yards. I felt like messing around at the 50 yard line today. Not too shabby, 5 shots all within 10". I cleaned her up as soon as I came home and put her in my CBST. The 19 and 17 will have to spend some time in the safe together.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The double captive recoil spring was one of the changes made in the Gen 4.

The g26 has always had a dual recoil spring, so there will be no difference there between the Gen 3 and 4. So in reality, the only real difference is texture, and interchangeable backstraps.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Keep your Gen 3 G26 and count yourself blessed!!!! Enjoy the experience of learning to run your new Glock!!!! JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I have the Gen 3 G23 and 27 and love them both. I don't like the feel of the Gen 4 in my hand, but that's a personal thing. Can't go wrong with either, but the Gen 3 will be an excellent gun for you. Tried and true.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Quote Originally Posted by vtsenior View Post
    I took delivery from my local FFL dealer of my new Glock (PN2650501T) yesterday and started studying the manual and checking out the contents of teh Glock box.

This is the first gun I have purchased for many year and the first time I have ordered online (from a well-know dealer). Although I had researched which 9mm to purchase and finally which Glock to buy for CC, I naively ordered a Gen3 thinking I was ordering a Gen4. My bad!

Although the Gen4 has been out since at least 4Q2010, evidently Glock and their dealers are still selling the Gen3. I figured that like most manufacturers that the Gen4 was a replacement for the Gen3 and that they would discontinue selling Gen3 when the Gen4 was announced except for what may have been in the factory and/or dealer stocks.

I have revisited several of the gun sites I was checking out to see where I went wrong. In retrospect I now realize that many sites do NOT say Glock 26 Gen3 or Gen4. They simply say Glock 26 and state a part number in the description. One has to either know the specific part number of a Glock 26 Gen4 or at least realize that the Gen3 comes with two magazines and the Gen4 with three magazines & two additional backstraps.

I believe I can return the Gen3 I just received.

I need to decide if I want to return the Gen3. Any input to help me decide will be greatly appreciated.
    The Gen 4 G26 does not come with factory night sights. If your Gen 3 has night sights and that is what you want then keep the Gen 3.

My preference is for the Gen4 in the 26/27/33 size. I like the enlarged magazine button, the grip texture, and the slightly slimmer grip without a backstrap in place. My overall preference is for the Gen3 RTF2, but since those are out of production and as far as I know there were never any RTF2 26s. I find the regular Glock (not RTF2 or Gen4) grip to be way too slick. YMMV.

That said, if the Gen3 26 works for you, it is easily just as good as the Gen4 (some will say better).
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links