Thought I Was Buying a Glock 26 Gen4

This is a discussion on Thought I Was Buying a Glock 26 Gen4 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took delivery from my local FFL dealer of my new Glock (PN2650501T) yesterday and started studying the manual and checking out the contents of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Thought I Was Buying a Glock 26 Gen4

I took delivery from my local FFL dealer of my new Glock (PN2650501T) yesterday and started studying the manual and checking out the contents of teh Glock box.

This is the first gun I have purchased for many year and the first time I have ordered online (from a well-know dealer). Although I had researched which 9mm to purchase and finally which Glock to buy for CC, I naively ordered a Gen3 thinking I was ordering a Gen4. My bad!

Although the Gen4 has been out since at least 4Q2010, evidently Glock and their dealers are still selling the Gen3. I figured that like most manufacturers that the Gen4 was a replacement for the Gen3 and that they would discontinue selling Gen3 when the Gen4 was announced except for what may have been in the factory and/or dealer stocks.

I have revisited several of the gun sites I was checking out to see where I went wrong. In retrospect I now realize that many sites do NOT say Glock 26 Gen3 or Gen4. They simply say Glock 26 and state a part number in the description. One has to either know the specific part number of a Glock 26 Gen4 or at least realize that the Gen3 comes with two magazines and the Gen4 with three magazines & two additional backstraps.

I believe I can return the Gen3 I just received.

I need to decide if I want to return the Gen3. Any input to help me decide will be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    It's your money. You should buy the gun you want. If you want a Gen4 return it. If you want to settle for the Gen3 then keep it.
    marcclarke likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

As far as I am concerned, Gen 3's are the pinnacle of glock goodness. They are like the AK-47 of pistols. Yesterday I bought a NIB gen 3 G19 to go with my G26.
    WHEC724, ksholder, RonCo and 6 others like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    I'd say you're better off with the Gen3.
    Bark'n, smolck, ksholder and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I concure

I just purchased a Gen 3 Glock 23, knowing full well what it was.

I also have a Gen 3 26. I say do what you want, but the Glock Gen 3 is as good as any.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Gen 4s cost more, I think.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Why am I better off with a Gen3?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vtsenior View Post
    They are proven. I'm not aware of any issues with the Gen4 G26, but there were some problems with other Gen4 models when they first came out, which cast a shadow on the Gen4 generation.

To put it another way, I don't believe you gain anything with a Gen4 G26, and the Gen3's reputation speaks for itself. It will certainly hold value.

The double captive recoil spring was one of the changes made in the Gen 4.

The g26 has always had a dual recoil spring, so there will be no difference there between the Gen 3 and 4. So in reality, the only real difference is texture, and interchangeable backstraps.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by vtsenior View Post
    There were some issues with the gen4's when they first came out. They have (as far as I know) been resolved at this point but the Gen 2's and Gen 3's are the gun's that really built glocks reputation as "Glock Perfection"
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The only way I would send it back is if you paid more for it being a Gen4 than you would have for a Gen3. If that is the case, another solution might be to ask for the difference to be refunded and keep the Gen3 (you certainly won't be disappointed).
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

i would send it back and get the Gen 4. I have a Gen 3 Glock 30SF (.45) and LOVE it, but I just bought a Gen 4 Glock 23 (.40) and love the new spring system (meant to reduce recoil and extend the life of the gun...I'm a woman, so reduced recoil is a BIG plus for me), not to mention the extra back straps and extra magazine!!!!! I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it, but so far Ive been VERY pleased with it. I bought it to be my new CCW (had planned on using the G30, but it's too bulky). Even though the differences in width are minimal, it really makes a difference when you're carrying!!! Get the Gen 4! Just my 2 cents.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, 30SF, 36, Colt 1911 Govt. (all .45 ACP), S&W M&P Shield (9 mm), S&W M&P (.22)
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357mag/.38SP), Taurus Judge (.410 Gauge/.45 LC)
    Long guns: Daniel Defense AR15s, M4V4 and M4V5 (both 5.56), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22LR)

It it fits you, keep it. If you're thinking you got ripped off because the gen4 has an extra mag, just go buy another mag because it will cost you about +/- $70 to ship it back.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I really like the gen4 glocks, own a 19 and 34, but when it comes to the subcompact models, I like the gen3 better and wouldn't give up my gen3 26 for a gen4.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links