Wife got her permit!!! Need help - Page 2

Wife got her permit!!! Need help

This is a discussion on Wife got her permit!!! Need help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Forty-three years of married experience --- let her decide!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Wife got her permit!!! Need help

Forty-three years of married experience --- let her decide!
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Let your wife pick out her own gun...

My wife had Glocks and revolvers to choose from...she went into the safe and took the KelTec .32.
    It's what she liked and she has a leather waist pouch she carries it in...better than nothing.
    oneshot and zonker1986 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sc00ter079 View Post
    My wife always gets what she wants and I understand her comfort is what matters but that will never change the fact that she is stubborn lol but yeah thanks for the input she has shot both in question and loved them both but once again you are all right and thank you for setting me straight, It's what she is comfortable with that matters
    Okay I can't knock you on the stubborn thing, just meant that her opinion truly matters!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

sgb
    Welcome aboard, my Mrs Originally carried a Model 36 S&W for years. She switched to a S&W M&P 9c several years ago but now wants one of the new M&P 9 shield's.

zonker1986 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    After more than 30 years I have found that she needs to decide. Actually it didn't take me that long to figure it out. I think it's going to cost me my LCR 357 as soon as she takes the CCW class. No big deal, I'll buy another if needed.
    marcclarke likes this.

By all means, let her pick her gun - but be sure she gets a look at the Kahr PM9/CM9 and the new S&W M&P Shield.

My wife & I were out shooting her new full-size M&P 9 (for HD, not carry) this weekend, and I decided to run a couple of mags through my CM9. She asked to shoot it, then announced, "I like this one. I want this one." So, it looks like I've just lost my favorite CCW!

Guess I'll just have to get out and shop for a new gun.

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Sc00ter079 View Post
    First of all I just wanna say hello I'm new and this is my first post. I have been carrying for five years and have been trying to get my wife to carry all along with no success until last month she finally agreed to arm her self. I have been trying to talk her into a j frame for obvious reasons but she does not agree ( because recoil and she does not shoot them well). We have now narrowed it down to the lc9 or xd9 sub compact. I would like her to carry the xd because of capacity and accuracy but I want her to carry and feel she will carry the lc9 more due to comfort (she is stubborn as hell). My question for everyone is, what would you do in this situation ? Which of the two do you prefer and why? Also any other suggestions are welcome. Just let me know.
    i agree with one of the previous posters. I JUST bought the Smith and Wesson M&P Shield and I absolutely LOVE it. It's a 9mm that is SOOOOO slim, she'll love it (I'm a woman and know what most women would like). Yesterday I was at the local gun shop/firing range, and the salesmen were telling some people that they finally got some of them and they'd be available today. Well, I went there as soon as I got off work. They got 18 and by the time I got there (5:30), they only had TWO left, so I got one of the last two!!!!! Plus they said they didn't know when they'd get anymore! It's not a pocket gun, but could be very easily concealed. Actually I bought mine to use as a back up gun, but I couldn't think of a better starter gun for a woman.

Also, I agree with your wife that a j frame may have more recoil than she'd be comfortable with and if it took you that long to get her to carry, she's going to be VERY picky about what she gets. And that a MAJOR point. It will be HER gun, so she needs to get what SHE wants, not what YOU want and she has to be very comfortable with it, or she won't carry it. Anyway, you can check out the new S&W M&P Shield on the S&W web site. Plus they're REALLY reasonably priced. I got mine for $409 and this is not a shop known for selling cheap guns!!! Lastly, they're going to be VERY popular and you may have a hard time finding one, but keep looking and I'm sure you'll find one eventually.
    oneshot likes this.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

I ended up buying my LCP before I got my permit, but as I was walking around the local gun shows and shops, I had a lot of opinionated men telling me what I needed to carry. Very few seemed to think the LCP would be a good choice, for different reasons. In the end, I chose it firstly because I have enough firearms experience and reverence to be comfortable carrying a round in the chamber without a safety, and, probably the bigger reason, I would be too self-conscious to carry anything larger. With the clothes that I wear, I was worried that anything larger would be bulky and obvious. As my first CC weapon, I knew that if I was uncomfortable wearing it, I wouldn't wear it at all, and that wouldn't do me any good.

Hope she finds what she's looking for! I know faliaphotography is pretty well known in the lady gun world, but if she's looking for options, have her check out at least this video :)
    Spirit51 likes this.

Glad to see ya here...welcome !!!

I have never been married but even i am smart enough to know a lady needs to pick her own personal firearm to carry...cause as others have said "it is a personal decision" !!

i agree with the folks who say let her pick. but i would definitely suggest the m&pc or that new shield (heck i want to get my hands on one)

I'll just echo what everyone else has said, and in saying that, there are a couple of big pluses that come with her choosing a gun that she loves and is comfortable with: she'll understand why you are always buying stuff to go with it, she will want accessories for hers which means that you get to shop guns/gun accessories more often, and you have a built in shooting partner!

That being said the XD is a great gun.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

As others have said, it is her decision, let her make it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Take her to the local range and let her try out different guns, if they don't rent them let her at least handle them and see which one feels good in her hand. My wife tried my Kahr CM9 and really disliked it, then she tried M&P 9c and fell in love with it so I did what I had to do and sold the CM9 and bought myself the M&P 45c :). Think I am going to get her to try out an M&P Shield soon too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Hello from Virginia and welcome to the forum!
    My very first gun was my XD9SC and I am loving it still! I carry it as a first choice over the BG .380 and my 1911. Guaranteed, the gun she chooses will be her first buy of many in the future. She will probably find, because of our dedication to fashion, there is no one-size-fits-all clothing and gun combo for us women. She will need different guns for different occaisions. More fun at the gun shop to be had by all!
    My take on the XD9SC is that I can generally conceal it in all but the warmest weather or the fanciest dress IWB @3:30. I like the hi cap mags. Having said that, I am one of those on the lookout for the XDS.45 because I don't feel as safe or secure with the BG .380 in those warmer months or fancier dresses. I believe in the theory of carrying the highest caliber you can. So, absent any physical ailment/restrictions, a woman should be able to handle any level of perceived recoil. It's a matter of whether or not she wants to.
    I hope she is reading these posts and decides for herself. Hubby knows better than to "let" me decide for myself.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Sounds like based on her decision regarding the J frame, you probably should be listening to her. Woman has some sense. He eehe hee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links