Wife got her permit!!! Need help - Page 3

Wife got her permit!!! Need help

This is a discussion on Wife got her permit!!! Need help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all, those who feel women need a revolver is pure and utter B.S. If I had to guess, most women can handle complicated ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Wife got her permit!!! Need help

First of all, those who feel women need a revolver is pure and utter B.S. If I had to guess, most women can handle complicated machinery as well, if not better than most men.

My wife's first three pistols were semi-automatics and she had no problems learning the manual of arms right from jump street. While some semi-autos prove to be more difficult than others manipulating the slide, it is more do to spring tension than mechanics. It wasn't until her fourth pistol that she finally got her first revolver.

In regards to which gun to get I would let her choose for herself. Let her try a variety. You can give her data points regarding weight, dimensions, which may be easier to conceal, and that kind of stuff, if you are knowledgeable, but let her make the ultimate decision.

As a gun to suggest, I would be sure and let her take a look at the new M&P Shield. From what I've heard, it's going to be better than the Ruger LC9. What I've been hearing, what women like about the M&P Shield, is that it's controllable and fits their hand well!

But the bottom line, is if you decide for her, you can pretty much expect she won't be carrying it very long.
    Spirit51 and nedrgr21 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Welcome! I agree. Let her choose the gun. Also, refer her to sites/videos dedicated to helping women find concealed carry solutions. Faliaphotography has great stuff on youtube and ConcealCarry.Co is a company just starting up focusing on women and concealed carry. Let her choose and then provide resources so she can get educated and gain confidence in a concealed carry system that can work for her.

Quote Originally Posted by srgreer View Post

Let her choose the gun. ...

+ 1 & Amen!
    ~ Sigsi Paige

Definitely let her choose. But first, make sure she tries a Walther PK380 and PPS!
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Find a range (or two) that rents guns and let her try an assortment so she can see what she likes. It is one thing to hold a particular firearm, but another to shoot it. If there is no range close by that has good rentals, take a road trip.

Also remember the holster is an importaint part of the equasion, in terms of comfort, safety and concealment. Make sure you get a good holster made for that specific firearm, and remember finding the right holster is a journey and you probably will need to try a variety before you are done.

Some random firearms to try: Glock G26, HK P2000SK (suggest LEM), M&P 9c, M&P Shield, Walther PPS, Sig P239.

Good luck!

-john

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    After more than 30 years I have found that she needs to decide. Actually it didn't take me that long to figure it out. I think it's going to cost me my LCR 357 as soon as she takes the CCW class. No big deal, I'll buy another if needed.
    At least here in Oklahoma, it's now taking 3 1/2 MONTHS to get your CCW license after submitting all the paperwork! Apparently, everyone and their mother has decided they want to carry! Anyway, you should have plenty of time to let her look at guns. MAKE SURE she looks at the new S&W 9mm Shield...if you can find one. They're flying off the shelves. I just bought one but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet...going to the range tomorrow! If you can find one, I'd get it! So far, everyone who's reported back has said they LOVED it!!!
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

Quote Originally Posted by Sc00ter079 View Post
    First of all I just wanna say hello I'm new and this is my first post. I have been carrying for five years and have been trying to get my wife to carry all along with no success until last month she finally agreed to arm her self. I have been trying to talk her into a j frame for obvious reasons but she does not agree ( because recoil and she does not shoot them well). We have now narrowed it down to the lc9 or xd9 sub compact. I would like her to carry the xd because of capacity and accuracy but I want her to carry and feel she will carry the lc9 more due to comfort (she is stubborn as hell). My question for everyone is, what would you do in this situation ? Which of the two do you prefer and why? Also any other suggestions are welcome. Just let me know.
    Take her to the LGS. Let her handle as many subcompact guns as she can. Rent them if possible. Personally, I would AVOID the LC9. I had one and the trigger was absolute garbage; gun was reliable, but trigger sucked. Maybe look into the Solo or the new M&P Shield?

Finally, I am FIRMLY against purse carry. It's the first thing a robber will try to take from her. Would sure suck to get shot with your own gun!

cj
    My recommendation would be to see if you can find a decent local class that provides one or more options to use during the class, even if it costs extra. Passing a CCW class and expecting a good choice is a bit like letting a 16 year old drive around in a parking lot for 5 minutes, then making them choose which car they're going to drive by sitting behind the wheel of a bunch of cars on the lot without driving them...they simply don't have enough experience to know what works for them. Sure, something will LOOK like it will work, but when they hit the road and realize they've got 180 degrees of blind spots or something, it's a little late to take it back to the dealer.

buy her the gun she wants....otherwise, and trust me on this, she will lay claim to your favorite handgun and make it immediately her own.

lost two Glock 19s that way and am about to lose my M&P 9C to my daughter when she turns 21 this year. Made the mistake of letting them shoot mine.

Dude, take that woman shopping. Fast.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    go with the ruger it's made in America
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Many factors are involved here. What is her age, her condition, what she prefers to wear and where she will carry are but a few. I have seen many here give you the main correct answer....it will be hers so it should be her decision. If you have a range that allows you to try out different weapons...that would be perfect.

I myself am a "Nana" (age) and I have a physical disability (arthritis) in my legs. I usually wear jeans, but when not, I have a nice purse made for my weapon.

I have carried a SP101 for years. As of late, in my purse, because it was too heavy for me to wear on body and access quickly. I started carrying it selectively, meaning not all the time. I used my hubby's LCP for a pocket gun for a shopping trip. I loved it. Perfect weight and very accessible for me. Come Valentines Day, he bought me one of my own, because he is a sweetheart (and I kept borrowing his for shopping). I don't leave the house without it now. Don't worry about my little SP101. It lives in my sewing basket by my chair for close access.

Give her choice and let her select the one that fits her needs best and she will carry it.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

BTW Have her join here. There are many women here and it is a good place for exchange of ideas and hints for the ladies also.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    but now wants one of the new M&P 9 shield's.
    Oh dude, I just held the one my hubby just bought. I KNOW what I want for Christmas...I hope by then I comes in Raspberry.
    Last edited by Bark'n; April 24th, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
    Susan B. Anthony
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Take her to the LGS. Let her handle as many subcompact guns as she can. Rent them if possible. Personally, I would AVOID the LC9. I had one and the trigger was absolute garbage; gun was reliable, but trigger sucked. Maybe look into the Solo or the new M&P Shield?

Finally, I am FIRMLY against purse carry. It's the first thing a robber will try to take from her. Would sure suck to get shot with your own gun!
    You just have to use the right purse. I usually carry in my pocket, but when dressed up...I use my purse which has a side zipper hidden gun compartment. When carrying out I have it unzipped with my right hand on my gun. If someone grabs my purse...I still have my gun. I usually am with the hubby when I use it. I do prefer my pocket when shopping alone. It pays to be flexible when carrying, especially for us.

BTW I have a shoulder strap and wear it over my head....not just on the shoulder. Harder for someone to grab and gives me more control.
    Susan B. Anthony
    Robert Heinlein

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links