Wife got her permit!!! Need help

This is a discussion on Wife got her permit!!! Need help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all I just wanna say hello I'm new and this is my first post. I have been carrying for five years and have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Wife got her permit!!! Need help

Wife got her permit!!! Need help

First of all I just wanna say hello I'm new and this is my first post. I have been carrying for five years and have been trying to get my wife to carry all along with no success until last month she finally agreed to arm her self. I have been trying to talk her into a j frame for obvious reasons but she does not agree ( because recoil and she does not shoot them well). We have now narrowed it down to the lc9 or xd9 sub compact. I would like her to carry the xd because of capacity and accuracy but I want her to carry and feel she will carry the lc9 more due to comfort (she is stubborn as hell). My question for everyone is, what would you do in this situation ? Which of the two do you prefer and why? Also any other suggestions are welcome. Just let me know.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    First off, welcome!

Secondly, she is not being stubborn, because concealed carry and personal armament is something that an individual has to adopt and choose their own paths. Don't say she's stubborn, instead help her find a more comfortable way of carrying a different firearm. Encourage her, show her information, try different holsters for her, and take her to the range as much as she want's to go! In the end, it's all about what she prefers, because if she doesn't like it or isn't comfortable I guarantee you she will not carry it much if ever.
    joker1, accessbob, JDE101 and 2 others like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sc00ter079 View Post
    First of all I just wanna say hello I'm new and this is my first post. I have been carrying for five years and have been trying to get my wife to carry all along with no success until last month she finally agreed to arm her self. I have been trying to talk her into a j frame for obvious reasons but she does not agree ( because recoil and she does not shoot them well). We have now narrowed it down to the lc9 or xd9 sub compact. I would like her to carry the xd because of capacity and accuracy but I want her to carry and feel she will carry the lc9 more due to comfort (she is stubborn as hell). My question for everyone is, what would you do in this situation ? Which of the two do you prefer and why? Also any other suggestions are welcome. Just let me know.
    Always carry what you're comfortable with. Like all women, they get what they want, one way or another. -.-
    Have her hold/shoot the guns before buying if you haven't yet, I had my mind set on a gun, then held a different one, and completely changed my mind.

:D

Welcome, and introduce yourself to the forum if you'd like, link below:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...duce-yourself/
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Let your wife pick the defensive firearm that she likes that way she ismore likely to carry and as important practice.

Welcome to the forum. I do agree with you on the capacity factor, however it is a bigger gun and would be more difficult for most women to conceal on body. Smith and Wesson just came out with a single stack 9mm M&P, Shield is the name if you can get your paws on one it may be a solution.

Good luck.

May both of you always carry and never need to.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    If momma ain't happy, nobody be happy.
    Did someone force your carry weapon upon you?
    Dollar to donuts, you went and picked out what YOU liked, what felt good to YOU, in the price range YOU wanted.
    Let her within reason do the same.
    Under one stipulation.
    She must acknowledge the workings of a semi-auto, and train with that in mind.
    Reloading mags.
    FTF drills.
    The whole 9 yards.
    she must show her dedication to becoming proficient, and knowing her firearm, from cleaning it, to understanding what ammo will best suit her.
    That is why my wife carries a 442, or her Taurus 85.
    She can shoot alright, but there is no hardcore dedication to knowing or understanding semi-autos.
    Can she shoot one of mine should she have to??????
    Yes, but not as "Hers" to use on a daily basis.

BTW, have her check out this site. Cornered Cat
    joker1, Stubborn and marcclarke like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

If it were me, I would want her to carry the XD, BUT, she is going to carry more often if she gets what she wants, and ultimately, that is what is most important (carrying more often).
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

She's more likely to carry and practice with the gun she picks and is comfortable with as opposed to the one you pick for her.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

My wife always gets what she wants and I understand her comfort is what matters but that will never change the fact that she is stubborn lol but yeah thanks for the input she has shot both in question and loved them both but once again you are all right and thank you for setting me straight, It's what she is comfortable with that matters
    Burns likes this.

From a woman's perspective, I REALLY like the LC9. I spent hours trying different guns and when it came down to it, LC9 won. It's big enough to be comfortable for practice, but not too big and it conceals well. Beware of the Talo (nickel) model though. I found the slide to be too slippery to get a good grip on. No issues with any other though. Just my .02 worth. :)
    "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" ~ Paul Harvey

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Welcome!

My advice is short and sweet: LISTEN TO HER.

There are various reasons, ranging from the chances she'll end up just leaving it at home, to you'll be on the couch for arguing with her, but at the end of the day, it's HER gun that SHE will carry. Just make sure she has something RELIABLE and she's trained and practices.

That being said, I have the SA XD 9sc, and most female shooters I've taken to the range have liked it. Some have preferred it over the other ones they have shot. But she needs to pick her own gun out, and try shooting as many as she can before buying.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Hello and welcome from Tampa.

She's not Stubborn...I'm Stubborn.
    You might as well let her pick and choose herself, if you go against her on this, she will just end up not carrying.

I am a little surprised that she thinks a J frame has more recoil than an LC-9, been my experience that the sub-compacts are pretty "snappy".
    I can't speak for the XD, I've never fired one.

"Oneshot" gave you pretty sound advice, I'd run with that if I were you. Just my $.02
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    She's not Stubborn...I'm Stubborn.
    ^^^ WIN ^^^
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Sc00ter079 View Post
    My wife always gets what she wants and I understand her comfort is what matters but that will never change the fact that she is stubborn lol but yeah thanks for the input she has shot both in question and loved them both but once again you are all right and thank you for setting me straight, It's what she is comfortable with that matters
    If she likes both, then I would say go with the XD, unless it won't fit her concealment style. The XD is reliable, and has a much higher capacity.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Welcome, and I'm going with everyone that said, "let her choose". She'll carry it more, and practice with it more, if it's one that "she" likes, and is more comfortable carrying.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links