Need help deciding :/

This is a discussion on Need help deciding :/ within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a M&P 9. I only have $150 to spend and I'm trying to decide between night sights or a laser... Both of them ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Need help deciding :/

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar

Need help deciding :/

I have a M&P 9. I only have $150 to spend and I'm trying to decide between night sights or a laser... Both of them have their benefits but I have no idea which I should get first.

What are your opinions? Can you link me to a cheap yet reputable dealer? Can I replace the sights on the M&P myself?
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

2. Remove Ads

I'd skip both. The only laser for $150 will be front mounted and if you carry the gun, it can be akward and bulky. Night sights are probably a better buy, but I always wonder if they really would help me in a SHTF moment. Chances are I will be point shooting anyways. I'd spend the $150 on ammo and range time or a nice belt or holster
    joker1, A_D and Doodle like this.

Of the two I would go with night nites.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Of the two I would go with night nites.
    ^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^

I have a sig with night sights, and I love them. I also have a gun with a laser, and I'm not a big fan of it, but that is just me.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Neither, use the $150 towards a new M&P9 Shield :)

VIP Member
    Night sights are the first things I add to an edc, followed by a grip laser.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

A_D
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I'd skip both. The only laser for $150 will be front mounted and if you carry the gun, it can be akward and bulky. Night sights are probably a better buy, but I always wonder if they really would help me in a SHTF moment. Chances are I will be point shooting anyways. I'd spend the $150 on ammo and range time or a nice belt or holster
    I couldn't agree more. I have night sights on my home defense gun (Springfield XDm). I recently bought a Beretta Nano, and appreciate the white dots MUCH MORE in normal light settings (for sight picture only- I shoot the XDm better than ANYTHING night or day). Night sights are really only good IMO in pitch black scenarios. They're harder to aquire in normal light than white dot sights. Either way, in a self defense situation, you'll be point shooting. Buy some ammo before Obama gets a second term, and PRACTICE!
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I'd spend the $150 on ammo and range time or a nice belt or holster
    I have all of that already :/
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I'm going to consider getting night sights by what I've heard here. Maybe one day I'll get a crimson trace if I run into some extra money. Do the sights need to be put on by a gunsmith or can I do it myself?

What do you guys think of a flashlight attachment? worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    Neither, use the $150 towards a new M&P9 Shield :)
    I don't like compact guns. I like my 17+1 rounds. :)

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    If you have a good LGS they may put the sights on for you if you buy them from that shop, I know the one I deal with does and I just assume let them put them on so that if one falls off while shooting, I have someone to fall back to as a warranty.

As for the on gun light, its nice for a night stand gun but its hard to find a carry holster to carry with one on it and I would think it would be ackward. A down side is if you are clearing your house using that light, your sweeping everything and everyone in your house, and I beleive in the rule of not aiming at anything your not willing to destroy.
    Burns likes this.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

My Glock 19 and 36 have Glock factory night sights. Can't imagine not have them!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I have night sights on all my carry guns...it is the only change to my Glocks I make.
    I even put a front Trijicon on my SP101...certainly helps as a pointing reference in the dark.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Get a set of Trijicon HDs for your Smith. Best sights around IMO. If interested, let me know and I will show you where to get them for 130 bucks installed (extremely well) and returned.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    When I had my Glock, I had paid the money to put the night sights on it and loved it. Both my Sigs have factory night sights and not only does it make aiming in the dark easier, but when I have the gun on my night stand next to the bed, it makes it easy to locate it in the dark.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links